Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Sewol's Cult Connection  (Read 79196 times)

May 06, 2014, 03:45:37 PM
Reply #30

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: The Sewol's Cult Connection
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
The noose is tightening...
Prosecution gives 'ultimatum' to sunken ferry's owner family (May 2, 2014)

The owner family of a sunken ferry and their close aides have been notified for the last time to appear before prosecutors for questioning after they refused to comply with prosecution summonses twice, prosecutors said Friday.

The prosecution gave an ultimatum to Yoo Hyuk-ki, the second son of Yoo Byung-eun, a billionaire suspected to be the de facto owner of Chonghaejin Marine Co. that owns and operates the ferry Sewol, and two chiefs of affiliates suspected to be owned by the Yoo family to show up at the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office in the western port city of Incheon by Thursday.

The move comes as prosecutors have expanded their investigation into corruption allegations surrounding Yoo Byung-eun and his family members who are facing a host of corruption charges, including embezzlement, dereliction of duty, tax evasion and bribery, prosecutors said. ...

The prosecution, meanwhile, said it is mulling over summoning Jeon Young-ja, a 72-year-old actress and a close aide to Yoo, for questioning.

Jeon, whose real name is Kim Kyoung-sook, heads a local media group and is also a member of a controversial religious group that has a close relationship with the mysterious owner.

The prosecution suspects that funds from members of the religious group, the Evangelical Baptist Church, were used in the business operations of Chonghaejin and Yoo's other affiliates.

Meanwhile, prosecutors also arrested Song Kook-bin, a close aide of the owner of the capsized ferry, on Friday as part of their expanded investigation into various corruption allegations surrounding the owner family.

May 08, 2014, 08:22:34 AM
Reply #31

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »
The reason Ahae, Mr. Yoo's photographer alter-ego, exists is revealed in this article:

The prosecution sought arrest warrants, Wednesday, for Byeon Gi-choon, CEO of Chonhaeji, a ship building affiliate of Chonghaejin Marine, and Ko Chang-hwan, CEO of Semo, a major affiliate, on charges of breach of trust.

They are suspected of paying tens of billions of won to the Yoo family on the pretext of “business counseling.”

Byeon allegedly bought photographs taken by Yoo at prices far more than their apparent value. He is also the CEO of I-One-I Holdings, a de facto holding company that controls the ferry operator.
That reminds me of the "art" of serial rapist Jeong Myeong-seok. From his May 16, 2004 sermon:
It would take me only 3 minutes for me to draw a picture. Sometimes when I do it fast, I could do it in 1 minute. But because I’m always so busy, I only draw abstracts. Abstracts take me only 30 to 40 seconds to draw. I can draw a great masterpiece in that short a time. I’ve drawn so many pictures, in the past 40 years, I’ve been drawing pictures. And such pictures are great masterpieces. Later they’ll be worth millions of dollars.
And presto - members start paying more for his art.

And like Jeong, Mr Yoo aka Ahae, considers himself a poet:

POEMS BY AHAE by ASSOULINE
A series collection of Ahae's poetry | Volumes 1-3 currently available | Korean text with select poems translated into English

ECHOES OF MY THOUGHTS by ASSOULINE
A collection of Ahae's poetry | Available in English, French, Korean, Italian, Russian

May 09, 2014, 09:12:14 AM
Reply #32

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »
A notice spied 5 minutes ago in the elevator I ride up to my office every day:

It's a warning about Guwonpa which mentions the ferry disaster and Mr. Ock's groups (IYF etc.) I was under the impression that Ock's groups are separate from Mr Yoo's cult/businesses. My understanding is they are separate offshoots of the same group. The confusion - if I'm correct - comes from the fact that the same name "Guwonpa (Salvation Sect)" is used for the different offshoots. Guwonpa seems to be an umbrella term used to describe such offshoots, three in total according to the sites I linked to earlier in this thread. Of course, they could be related behind the scenes, and Mr Yoo's groups could be the business arms of the organisation. Either way, it's nice to see some cult awareness raising popping up at work :)

May 09, 2014, 09:20:36 AM
Reply #33

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
May 7: Ferry owner's aide quizzed over corruption allegations

Prosecutors on Wednesday summoned a close aide to the owner of the sunken ferry Sewol as part of their expanded probe into multiple corruption allegations surrounding the owner family.

Lee Kang-se, the former chief of Ahae Corp., a painting manufacturing company owned by Yoo Byung-eun, faced questioning once again by investigators of the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office for his role in Yoo's creation of slush funds.

May 8: Chief of sunken ferry operator arrested for questioning

A joint team of prosecutors and police arrested Kim Han-sik, chief executive of Chonghaejin Marine Co., at his home in Bundang, south of Seoul, for questioning, investigators said.

Charges against Kim include manslaughter and a violation of the act on vessel safety, they added. ...

Kim is also known as a close aide to Yoo Byung-eun, a mysterious billionaire suspected to be the de facto owner of Chonghaejin and other affiliates.

Meanwhile, the prosecution has secured documents allegedly tying Yoo to Chonghaejin and other affiliates which could prove that he actually controls the companies, prosecution sources said Thursday. ...

According to multiple prosecution sources, the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office probing various corruption allegations surrounding Yoo and his family has secured a so-called "inside organization chart" that names Yoo as the chairman of the firm.

The chart was obtained when the prosecution office raided the offices of Chonghaejin Marine and other affiliates, the sources said.

"The heads of other affiliates, known to be the close aides to Yoo, have generally denied his involvement in the management. However, the prosecution secured testimony from executives and retired employees of the firm that Yoo was involved," said one of the sources.

Yoo -- a businessman, artist, ex-convict and religious figure -- has been suspected of controlling the company through two of his sons, who own stakes in the firm through various subsidiaries.

Prosecutors also said they are considering seeking a court warrant to detain Yoo's second son, Hyuk-ki, and other close aides who have refused to respond to prosecution summonses for the third time.

The prosecution had earlier given an ultimatum to the three to show up at the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office in the western port city of Incheon by 10 a.m. Thursday.

May 10, 2014, 09:41:17 AM
Reply #35

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Pay stub sheds light on Yoo salary
A team of police and prosecutors investigating the cause of the ferry disaster revealed yesterday that Yoo Byung-eun, the de facto owner of the sunken Sewol ferry’s operator, received a monthly salary of 10 million won ($9,760) over a year from Chonghaejin Marine Company.

Investigators, who are looking into corruption allegations surrounding Yoo and his two sons and their potential contributions to the ferry disaster, obtained a pay stub during a raid on the beleaguered operator. The document stated that a monthly salary of 10 million won had been paid out for approximately a year. This is the latest in a series of evidence suggesting that the elder Yoo was involved in the Chonghaejin Marine Company’s management. On Wednesday, the prosecution said that, after raiding the offices of Chonghaejin Marine Company and its affiliates, it had also discovered an internal organization chart that named Yoo as the operator’s president.

The 73-year-old business tycoon is the founder of Semo Group, the predecessor to Chonghaejin and widely considered to be the family patriarch. However, investigators have so far had a hard time proving Yoo’s influence, as he does not hold any formal position or shares within the company.

Investigators are seeking to verify whether the tycoon ordered or concealed the operator’s poor safety management or illegal business practices, such as its overloading of the Sewol ferry. Prosecutors said that during the time of the accident, the 6,825-ton ferry was carrying cargo that was three times heavier than the maximum weight limit and suggested that it could have contributed to the ship’s abrupt capsizing.

Yoo may face homicide charges
The prosecution is considering negligent homicide charges against former Semo Group Chairman Yoo Byung-eun as it secured evidence to prove his involvement in management of the operator of the sunken ferry Sewol. The prosecution is also weighing the right time to summon Yoo.

Among the evidence seized during a raid was an organization chart updated April 15, a day before the tragedy took place, according to the prosecution. It shows Yoo as the chairman of Chonghaejin Marine, the operator of the Sewol. Another document, emergency contacts written in 2011, also lists Yoo as the chairman. Yoo was given an employee identification number, “A9901,” according to the prosecution.

Yoo denied in a statement on April 25 that he influenced the firm’s management. He claimed that he has been devoted only to photography in the last several years. The prosecution, however, found he collected some 15 million won every month from Chonghaejin on the pretext of advisory fees.

Widening the investigation into Yoo and his family, investigators Friday raided six places linked to them, including the office of Moreal Design in southern Seoul. Yoo’s eldest daughter, Yoo Seom-na, heads the design firm, which has done design work for many of Semo’s affiliates. The prosecution summoned Seom-na, but she didn’t respond.

Investigators also searched Gookje Yeongsang in Yongsan, Seoul. The media company is considered a key affiliate of Semo Group because Yoo Byung-eun held a 28.8-percent stake in the unit until 2009. He gave up his shares in other affiliates of Semo after it went bankrupt in 1997.

Jeon Yang-ja, a 72-year-old actress, is the president of the media company as well as an organic food grocery store. Jeon is expected to be summoned today.

The prosecution requested Thursday that the court issue warrants to apprehend Yoo’s second son, Hyuk-kee, Kim Hye-gyung, president of Hankook Pharmaceutical, and Kim Pil-bae, a former I-One-I Holdings CEO. They are staying abroad, not responding to the prosecution’s summons. Prosecutors are cooperating with foreign law enforcement agencies to bring them to Korea.

May 11, 2014, 08:52:06 PM
Reply #36

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »
Prosecutors to question eldest son of sunken ferry's owner
Prosecutors said Sunday they will summon the eldest son of the de-facto owner of a passenger ferry that capsized and sank off the southwest coast last month as part of their investigation into alleged corruption by the owner family.

Yoo Dae-kyun is the first son of Yoo Byeong-eun, the former chairman of Semo Group who is believed to own Chonghaejin Marine Co., the operator of the ferry Sewol.

The 44-year-old son was ordered to come in for questioning at Incheon District Prosecutors' Office at 10 a.m. Monday, prosecutors in charge of the case said....

Dae-kyun is the second person from the Yoo family to be grilled over the corruption allegations. Yoo Byeong-eun's older brother Byeong-il was summoned for questioning on Sunday.

Prosecutors have sought arrest warrants for Yoo's second son Hyuk-ki and eldest daughter Som-na, both currently staying abroad, as they repeatedly refused to respond to prosecution summons.

Yoo Byeong-eun is also expected to be called in this week, according to prosecution sources.
Will he show up??

A little more:
Yoo's eldest son to be called in
The prosecution will call in Yoo Dae-gyun, the eldest son of the former Semo Group Chairman Yoo Byung-eun, for questioning today. The Incheon District Prosecutors' Office suspects that he had pocketed the affiliates' money and helped his father create secret funds.

On Sunday, the former chairman's elder brother, Yoo Byung-il, was questioned over his involvement in Chonghaejin Marine. He was the first to be questioned among the members of the Yoo family.

Yoo's second son, Yoo Hyuk-kee, defied the prosecution's previous summons. He is known as the heir apparent of Yoo's empire. Yoo Byung-il is suspected of having played a role in adding more cabins to the ferry, one of the suspected reasons for the sinking. The prosecution has so far questioned many of Yoo's inner circle who are suspected of helping him hide money away.

Chae Gyu-jeong, CEO of Onzigoo, was summoned Sunday for allegations that he purchased photographs taken by Yoo at prices far more than their apparent value. Onzigoo is an auto parts making affiliate. Before taking the post in 2008, Chae served as vice governor of North Jeolla Province and mayor of Iksan. Prosecutors suspect Chae has been deeply involved in creating secret funds for Yoo and bribing politicians.

On Saturday, Jeon Yang-ja, a 72-year-old actress and the president of Gookje Yeongsang, was grilled over allegations that she had deeply involved in creating the Yoo family's secret funds. She denied she was given any orders from Yoo in running the company. The media company is considered a key affiliate of Semo because the senior Yoo held a 28.8 percent stake in the unit until 2009. He gave up his shares in other affiliates of Semo after it went bankrupt in 1997. Those shares were distributed to affiliates, including Chonghaejin Marine, Ahae, Chonhaeji and Moonjin Media.

Jeon has been believed to be one of the closest friends of Yoo, serving as the head of a facility of a religious cult, "Salvation Sect," as well as a food and grocery distributer. The sect is an evangelical Baptist-style church created by Yoo and his father-in-law. It was ousted from the Christian churches council for being “heretical.” ...

Former politician questioned in case against Yoo

May 12, 2014, 07:02:17 PM
Reply #37

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »
Will he show up??
No, he didn't. I guess the next step is to flee the country on a false passport. Perhaps his brother, Hyuk-kee, already has:
All four children of former Semo Group Chairman Yoo Byung-eun have rejected the prosecution’s summonses regarding an investigation into the April 16 sinking of the ferry Sewol. The prosecution said Yoo’s eldest son Dae-gyun, who was supposed to appear for questioning Monday at the Incheon District Prosecutors’ Office, failed to show up or give any prior reason.   

Previously, Yoo’s other three children ― Hyuk-kee also known as Keith, Seom-na known as Ennette and Sang-na ― all ignored the prosecution’s summonses. Investigators are now moving to summon Yoo, 73, who allegedly owns the ferry operator Chonghaejin Marine and dozens of its affiliates through back-door deals. Prosecutors said they will take measures to detain Yoo first as he may reject their summons as his children did. ...

For Hyuk-kee, the second son, and Seom-na, the eldest daughter, prosecutors have requested the court to issue custody warrants after they repeatedly ignored the summonses. Hyuk-kee, in fact, has disappeared and even dropped out of contact with his lawyer in Korea, Cho Gyung-hun of Geewoo Law....

The Incheon District Court held hearings Monday for arrest warrants sought against Kim Dong-hwan, the auditor of Dapanda, and Oh Kyung-seok, president of Hemato Centric Life Institute who was in charge of selling Yoo Byung-eun’s photography works.

In a statement on April 25, Yoo Byun-eun denied that he was involved in Semo Group and its affiliates’ management. He claimed that he has been solely devoted to photography for the last several years.

More here
The eldest son of the family behind the company that operated the sunken Sewol ferry yesterday ignored a prosecution summons over corruption allegations about his family. Incheon District Prosecutors’ Office scheduled Yoo Dae-gyun, the first son of family patriarch Yoo Byung-eun, to appear at the Incheon office by 10 a.m. yesterday, but he didn’t show up. Prosecutors plan to send a second invitation for questioning.

Both the son and his father face accusations that include embezzlement and tax evasion, though the prosecution has yet to summon the elder Yoo, who is widely considered the master of the family businesses. The 44-year-old son is a major shareholder of I-One-I Holdings, a holding company of the beleaguered operator of the Sewol, Chonghaejin Marine Company, and two other affiliates: Dapanda and Trigon Korea.

Authorities allege that the son illegally pocketed tens of billions of won in company funds by charging bogus consultation fees to affiliates operated by the family. The junior Yoo is also accused of setting up a shell company in order to facilitate or conceal financial irregularities committed by the elder Yoo. ...

Also evading the prosecution are second son Hyeok-gi and eldest daughter Som-na, who currently lives abroad. Prosecutors requested them to appear for questioning several times, but they didn’t comply. Investigators said they are in the process of asking for help from U.S. investigation agencies including the FBI and Homeland Security Investigations to question Yoo’s second son. ...

Two close aides are also abroad, allegedly to avoid prosecution summons. Kim Hye-Kyung, the head of a pharmaceutical affiliate, and Kim Pil-jae, the president of a publishing company, all disobeyed invitations to come for questioning.

May 13, 2014, 02:16:32 PM
Reply #38

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
Prosecutors try to arrest ferry owner's son
Prosecutors on Tuesday unsuccessfully attempted to execute a court-issued warrant to detain the eldest son of the de facto owner of a sunken ferry after he disobeyed a prosecution summons.

A team of prosecutors and investigators visited Yoo Dae-kyun's home in southern Seoul to officially arrest him for questioning over his role in the sinking of the ferry Sewol in southwestern waters on April 16, but he was not there, prosecutors said.

The 44-year-old is the first son of Yoo Byeong-eun, who is suspected to be the owner of Chonghaejin Marine Co., which operated the ferry.

The Incheon District Court on Monday issued the arrest warrant for the younger Yoo after he failed to appear before prosecutors in the morning. The court cited fears that he may flee.

May 14, 2014, 11:57:33 PM
Reply #39

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 11:57:33 PM »
Some interesting if predictable news today:

Prosecutors to question sunken ferry's suspected owner
Prosecutors said Tuesday they will summon the de facto owner of a sunken ferry later this week for questioning over alleged corruption by the owner family. Yoo Byung-eun, suspected to be the owner of the ferry's operator, Chonghaejin Marine Co., has been told to show up at the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office by 10 a.m. on Friday, they said.

Eldest son of sunken ferry's owner put on wanted list
The eldest son of the de facto owner of a sunken ferry was put on a wanted list Wednesday as he continued to snub prosecution summons for questioning over his role in one of the country's worst maritime disasters.

Although the exact cause of the accident has yet to be determined, the prosecution suspects that corruption by the owner family may have resulted in lax safety practices, such as overloading, and eventually the April 16 sinking that has left more than 300 people dead or missing.

The local prosecution office investigating the case said it had put on the most wanted list Yoo Dae-kyun, the first son of Yoo Byeong-eun who is suspected to be the owner of ferry operator Chonghaejin Marine Co.

Prosecutors said they are closely monitoring ports across the country amid fears that he could stow away to a foreign country aboard a ship. "We are preparing for the worst-case scenario," Kim Hoe-jong, a senior prosecutor at the office, told a press briefing. "The prosecution is also looking into those who allegedly helped the younger Yoo flee."

The move comes as prosecutors have expanded their investigation into corruption allegations surrounding the Yoo family, who are facing a host of corruption charges, including embezzlement, dereliction of duty, tax evasion and bribery.

The elder Yoo -- a businessman, artist, ex-convict and religious figure -- is suspected of controlling Chonghaejin Marine through two of his sons, who own stakes in the firm through various subsidiaries.

May 15, 2014, 12:07:19 AM
Reply #40

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
And here are some more details and a rather odd revelation. Abandoned subway cars? I predicted the man hunt, but I sure didn't see that one coming:
The family behind the company that operated the sunken Sewol ferry continued to stonewall investigators yesterday. Prosecutors failed to arrest the oldest son of family patriarch Yoo Byung-eun in Seoul and aren’t even sure where other family members are.

A group of prosecutors and police officers visited the residence of 44-year-old Yoo Dae-gyun, the eldest son of the family, in Seocho District, southern Seoul, yesterday, bringing arrest and raid warrants issued by a court for tax evasion and embezzlement.

Firefighters forced open a locked door and the team stormed the house to search for the son. However, as of press time, they did not find him. ...

On Monday, the prosecution sent a senior prosecutor and several investigators to the headquarters of the Evangelical Baptist Church in Anseong, Gyeonggi, which the patriarch founded and allegedly leads, suspecting the eldest son and father could be hiding there.

The headquarters, called Geumsuwon, is located in a remote mountainous area and protected by barbed-wire fences and surrounded by old, used Seoul Metro trains. It’s thought that the sect’s adherents hold religious ceremonies and sleep inside the subway cars.  Officials of the church refused to open the main gate of the headquarters when the prosecutor and investigators visited Monday, saying the Yoos were not there.

About 50 adherents of the sect held a rally right inside the main gate and brought about 40 vehicles to block the gate. They claimed the prosecution was trying to crack down on the church, which they say had nothing to do with the Yoo family or the sinking of the ferry.

May 15, 2014, 08:03:11 AM
Reply #41

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:11 AM »
The crazy factor just went up a dozen notches:

Cult followers in standoff with prosecution
Hundreds of members of the Salvation Sect associated with the owner of the sunken ferry Sewol, threatened to become martyrs Wednesday if authorities try to forcibly enter their holdout.

“We are ready to die as martyrs. The prosecution should be prepared to see bloodshed for its suppression of religion.”

These were chants shouted by members of the Evangelical Baptist Church at Geumsuwon, who are led by Yoo Byung-eun. Prosecutors and police have issued summons to Yoo and his children.

Geumsuwon is said to be one place where Yoo is possibly hiding. The former chairman of Semo Group was summoned by the prosecution Tuesday for questioning on Friday but failed to reply.

Kim Hyeon-nim, an Evangelical Baptist Church member, wrote on the message board of the church’s website, ebcworld.org, “Let’s fight, prepared for death of the very last person, in the war against the evil demons that lie, saying we are wicked and curse us. The Book of Esther says, We will die if we have to die.”

Observers fear that Yoo’s family may abuse their authority in the cult to protect themselves from being investigated over how they accumulated wealth by linking their businesses to it.

According to the local daily Donga Ilbo, Yoo’s eldest son, Yoo Dae-gyun, told his acquaintance that his family had “entered a war,” in relation to the Odaeyang incident in 1991 in which 32 people were found dead.

Prosecutors on Wednesday placed Dae-gyun on the wanted list amid fears that he would flee the country.

Local news outlets reported that Yoo’s second son, Yoo Hyuk-kee or “Keith,” may try to seek asylum abroad for “suppression of his religion.” He has also ignored the prosecution’s summons. ...
Once again, the JoongAng Daily has more:
Hundreds of adherents of the Evangelical Baptist Church, founded by the de facto owner of the overloaded and doomed Sewol ferry, declared war on authorities trying to track him and his family down.

They said if prosecutors and police officers force open the gate of the church to arrest the owner, Yoo Byung-eun, and his eldest son, they would stage a “religious crusade.”

More than 100 adherents of the church, also called “the Salvation sect,” staged a sit-in protest yesterday inside the main gate of the church’s headquarters in a remote mountainous area in Anseong, Gyeonggi, to block prosecutors or police from gaining access.

The protesters insisted the church had nothing to do with the ferry disaster on April 16, in which 281 died and 23 are missing. They said they could not confirm whether any of the Yoo family members were in the complex, but claimed no one had seen any.

“It is totally nonsense to say there is a connection between the accident [the ferry’s sinking] and the Salvation sect,” Jo Gye-wung, an administrative official at the church, told reporters outside the church’s gate.

“We are trying to block the prosecution from entering the church. I am not sure whether Yoo Byung-eun is here or not, but there is no one here who has seen him in the church.”

Jo said there were about 300 or 400 believers in the church, who gathered after they saw news of the prosecution’s visit to the headquarters.

Another adherent told reporters that Yoo’s eldest son Dae-gyun was not in the church.  “Yoo Dae-gyun was not an important person for the church,” he said. “I’m sure the son is not here now.” Half of the believers were their 20s or 30s.

About 20 security guards and other people surrounded the main gate to prevent reporters and prosecutors from entering. A sign was erected reading, “No crackdown on religion!” and “Protect the freedom of religion.” One protester announced through a megaphone, “We will be martyred if necessary.”

The prosecutors are trying to find and arrest Yoo Byung-eun, the de facto owner of Cheonghaejin Marine Company, and his eldest son, a major shareholder of the operator. The son is accused of illegally pocketing tens of billions of won in company funds and setting up a shell company to facilitate or conceal financial irregularities committed by his father. They both ignored notices from the prosecution to come in for questioning.

Prosecutors are trying to verify the company structure and the use of company funds to figure out if the owner is responsible for the ferry’s poor safety management, including overloading, which may have caused the maritime disaster.

Prosecutors raided the son’s house on Tuesday but failed to find any family members inside. They couldn’t get into the church’s headquarters without causing a violent confrontation with the adherents.

Starting Tuesday, the adherents blocked the gate all night long and took turns guarding it. Some chanted hymns, and others arranged chairs and provided water for reporters sitting outside.

They said they have a canteen that can accommodate up to 800 people in the headquarters. One protester shouted yesterday, “There is nowhere for us to back off! We will stake our lives to protect the church!”

The prosecution yesterday said it put Yoo Dae-gyun on a nationwide wanted list, classifying him as a “Class-A” suspect. He can be arrested on the spot if found by police.

And an opinion piece:
The de facto owner of the sunken Sewol ferry, Yoo Byung-eon, refuses to cooperate in the investigation of the accident. He is obviously trying to avoid very expensive legal accountability for the tragic disaster. Yoo and his family are making a big mistake if they think they are above the law. ...

Given the Yoo family’s earlier promise to cooperate with the prosecution’s investigation, the sudden about-face raises serious doubts about whether they are trying to obstruct justice and whether they will use their foot-dragging to give them time to destroy evidence. ...
Or time to run away. I don't think there's any point in destroying evidence now. The prosecution appears to have all the evidence they need.

May 16, 2014, 09:02:50 AM
Reply #42

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
Manslaughter charges brought against senior crew:
The captain and three senior crew members of the sunken Sewol ferry, who are accused of abandoning ship while ordering entrapped passengers to stay put, were indicted yesterday on charges of homicide. ... The four crew were among the first to be rescued on the day of the accident by the Coast Guard.

The exact charge prosecutors brought against Lee Jun-seok, the 69-year-old captain, and the three other crew members is manslaughter by omission. One can be liable for this crime when the fault lies in a failure to foresee and allow otherwise avoidable dangers to occur by a defendant responsible for preventing such dangers. If convicted, the four can be sentenced to life in prison. ...

While prosecutors managed to summon Yoo’s close aides for questioning, they have failed to question any members of the Yoo family. Prosecutors summoned Yoo to appear today. The two sons - Yoo Hyeok-gi and Yoo Dae-gyun - ignored requests to come in for questioning.

The second oldest son, Hyeok-gi, currently lives in the United States and the police are in the process of seeking help from U.S. agencies including the FBI. The prosecution said that it put the older son, Dae-gyun, on a nationwide wanted list, classifying him as a “Class-A” suspect. With that status, he can be arrested on the spot if found by police.

Investigators assume that Dae-gyun is taking refuge in a religious facility in Anseong, Gyeonggi, which is dedicated to serving members of a pseudo-Christian cult led by the elder Yoo. However, adherents to the sect are blocking investigators from entering.

The adherents yesterday issued a statement accusing the police of “suppressing the freedom of religion.” They blamed the deaths in the ferry capsizing on the Korea Coast Guard rather than the ship’s operator.

Also evading the investigation from abroad are two close aides of the elder Yoo: Kim Hye-Kyung, the head of a pharmaceutical affiliate, and Kim Pil-bae, the president of a publishing company. The Korean office of U.S. Homeland Security Investigations yesterday requested its headquarters to revoke the two men’s rights to stay in the United States.

Sewol operator affiliates suspected of massive illegal loans
The financial watchdog said Thursday that affiliates of the operator of the sunken ferry Sewol are suspected of having used credit unions to take out billions of won of illegal loans, helping the owner family of the operator amass a huge fortune.

The Financial Supervisory Service (FSS), announcing the results of its probe so far, said some of the local credit unions had lent some 6.6 billion won (US$6.4 million) to Yoo Byung-eun, the virtual owner of Chonghaejin Marine Co., the Sewol operator, and his children, under suspicious circumstances between 2006 and 2012. ...

May 16, 2014, 01:50:06 PM
Reply #43

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Surprise surprise, Mr Yoo didn't show up.
The de facto owner of a passenger ferry that sank off the southwest coast last month disobeyed a prosecution summons Friday for questioning over his alleged role in one of the country's worst maritime disasters.

Yoo Byung-eun, who is suspected to be the owner Chonghaejin Marine Co. that owns and operates the ferry Sewol, failed to appear at the Incheon District Prosecutors' Office in the western port city of Incheon.

The prosecution suspects that corruption by Yoo -- an entrepreneur, artist, ex-convict and religious figure -- and his family resulted in lax safety practices, such as cargo overloading, and eventually caused the April 16 sinking that has left more than 300 people dead or missing.

Yoo is under suspicion of controlling Chonghaejin Marine through two of his sons, who own stakes in the firm through various subsidiaries, prosecutors said.

According to sources at the prosecution office, prosecutors are mulling over forcibly entering a church retreat in Anseong, south of Seoul, where the mysterious owner is believed to be hiding.

May 16, 2014, 05:21:18 PM
Reply #44

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
Back to Ahae, the photographer alter-ego of Mr Yoo. His website has been revamped. I believe the ridiculous claims I saved earlier are gone. www.ahae.com now links to http://ahaenews.com/en which offer testimonies in defense of Mr Yoo, and I think every one of them is worth saving:

The first addresses allegations the Louvre was bribed. There is a statement on the new AHAE site and a video testimony:

No Artist can ‘Bribe’ a Historical and World Renowned Institution such as the Louvre
Mike von Joel / Editor in Chief, STATE MEDIA, London
23 April 2014

I feel compelled to write following certain news items brought to my attention through the international news feeds that are accessed daily by my office.

In particular, my attention has been drawn to the insidious calumnies currently being directed at the Korean photographer and artist we know in the UK as AHAE.

I have no knowledge of the politics or business infrastructure of South Korea and have no authority for making any comment on current or past activities of corporate entities based therein. However, as the editor in chief of the largest circulation art & photography magazine based in London and serving the whole of the UK, I do have the authority to comment on the standing of the Korean photographer AHAE, his work and his status in the contemporary European art world.

1. His recent exhibition programme

AHAE has recently completed an exhibition programme that began modestly in Prague under the auspices of one of the Czech Republic’s leading curators, museum director, critic and artist: Prof Milan Knížák.

It culminated with a major exhibition in Paris under the umbrella of the Louvre with a personal citation by the Director of the Louvre, Mr Henri Loyrette. This was followed by a tribute exhibition at the Palace of Versailles at which Mr Loyrette attended as one of the guests of honour.

AHAE showed photographic works from his conceptual landscape series and also some of his natural history studies of wild life – these being representative of his declared interest in sustaining the planet and its natural resources.

It has apparently being claimed that these were somehow ‘bogus’ exhibitions and the result of AHAE’s associates ‘buying’ favours with these organisations.

Accusations like these are so ridiculous that they barely merit discussion. No artist, however exalted, can ‘bribe’ a historical and world renowned institution such as the Louvre. Ask the simple question: why would the Louvre jeopardise its centuries old reputation for any individual that happened to offer financial inducements? It is an organ of the French State and dedicated to superior works of art across all disciplines. The sole reason AHAE enjoyed a collaboration with this august institution was on the basis of merit – supported by the opinion of a number of eminent critics who have witnessed the development of AHAE photographic works over the last three years or so.

2. The price of AHAE’s photographs.

There have been further accusations that AHAE’s works cannot possibly command the prices that have been quoted. Suffice it say that the most expensive contemporary photograph in world is by Andreas Gursky – a German artist. Called Rhine II. It was bought for £2.7 million. It is a large scale work that simply depicts the Rhine River. It is illustrated here:

Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.10.53 PM
Large scale photographs using the latest digital processes at the idiom of the moment and landscape is a perennial favourite with serious collectors.

3. Sponsorship of Exhibitions

Finally, I am given to understand that some corporate sponsorship initiatives are being re-addressed and re-defined as ‘bribery’ or otherwise as ‘corrupt’ practice.

Suffice it to say that every major exhibition – indeed, even modest exhibitions of quality – are sponsored in the current contemporary art market. Deutsche Bank and USB are constant high profile supporters of events in the UK; in America and Europe this is even more the ‘norm’.

This year (2014) Euisun Chung, vice-chairman of Hyundai, announced the new 11-year sponsorship deal with London’s Tate Modern art gallery valued at in excess of £5 million.

I am personally appalled at the grotesque distortions being aimed at the artist AHAE all of which appear to be completely fabricated and without foundation.

Yours sincerely,

Mike von Joel DipAD MA

Editor in Chief