Advanced Search

Author Topic: An Afternoon of Intimidation at the Zoo with Mannam  (Read 5528 times)

April 23, 2013, 09:40:03 AM
Read 5528 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
An Afternoon of Intimidation at the Zoo with Mannam
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Well I had an interesting experience at this event on the weekend...

A Little North in the South: A Day at the Zoo with Mannam

And interestingly, the same kind of event in Daegu last year resulted a few people losing interest in Mannam. I didn't hang around for the event proper, but I have no doubt it was all about photo ops. These kind of events are really nothing but SCJ film sets for their propaganda.

A former Mannamer had this to say about a similar event a year earlier in Daegu:

Probably the beginning of my real doubts was that Mannam organized a “Natural Disaster Walk” in Daegu. The non-Korean organizers gave some input, but then weren’t actually involved in the preparations. The main suggestion we had was to raise money, collect donations, or something like that, but in the end, the attendees just walked around a park while being filmed most of the day. Every 3-5 minutes each group was asked to stop for pictures. A lot of people who’d attended left in the middle of the day, they were so frustrated by the obsession with pictures and the lack of any constructive work. Honestly, I was embarrassed that I was a “foreign organizer” for this organization because it had gone so poorly.

April 27, 2013, 10:04:43 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: An Afternoon at the Zoo with Mannam
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
And here's Mannam's unsurprising doubleplus positive take on the event:

On April 21, 2013 10K in their shoes event was hosted by MANNAM International Youth Coalition (MIYC) at Seoul Grand Park. MIYC is to unite youth associations around the world and in motivating their nation to actively pursue peace. Through the 10km walk and the MIYC, all participants walked to show their support for specific countries who are still struggling with ongoing wars, or the after effects of recent conflict.

And more here:

Today's topic: MIYC, Pledge of Peace, 10 km in their shoes (3)

Last two posts were about my personal experience with MIYC 10 km. Today, I will post about the MIYC itself. What it is and what is the purpose of MIYC !

What is MIYC?

MIYC is the acronym of MANNAM International Youth Coalition.  

MIYC site says that
  "MIYC was formed from groups of young people coming together with the vision and determination to unite people across borders, cultures, languages and races. MIYC aims to foster a spirit of appreciation and respect for the diversity of humanity, as well as for all individuals that create that diversity."

What is the aim of MIYC?

MIYC will organize some projects throughout the year and organizations that decided to join the movement of MIYC will engage in those projects. For those projects, there will be a youth summits and summit's aim is to develop practical and sustainable solutions to the challenges facing us in the pursuit of peace. Nobody wants war/fight. Everybody wants peace. Then why the peace couldn't be obtained until now? Because we coulnd't bring our power together. MIYC's role is to combine people's power into one way. One by one, all youth organization will join the movement of MIYC and MIYC will become more powerful. Each of us is very small, but if we put together, we can be a big power.

In my humble opinion, MIYC is a very ideal coalition. MIYC is not just a group, it is a 'coalition'. You may know the clear meaning of coalition. A coalition is 'a group consisting of people from different political or social groups who are co-operating to achieve a particular aim. MIYC was made only to cooperate with each other aiming to world peace. That's all. Nobody can say that it is for specific one group. It can not be like that MIYC is just a good way to gather together in the name of world peace. I hope MIYC spread more further than now and through MIYC world peace would be made.

April 30, 2013, 03:34:43 PM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: An Afternoon of Intimidation at the Zoo with Mannam
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
More about the event from Mannam here, including some nice pictures.

MIYC was formed with groups of young people. Last Sunday (April 21), MIYC hosted the event, '10Km in Their Shoes'. A lot of foreigners were invited and spent time together. The theme of this event was 'Pledge of Peace' and there also was a ceremony of MIYC.

To be honest, many people hardly think about peace in their normal life.
So this event provided people with a chance to think of the significance of peace and enabled them to imagine the world with no war.

MANNAM put on an eye-catching card section and performed with wonderful dancing to celebrate it.

After finishing walking, the participants were given the souvenirs made with their own fingerprints to celebrate their walking completion.

Plus, a figure adorned with the participants' fingerprints was built to add to the amusement. Then, there was a trip to the zoo where people had an enjoyable time.

On a peaceful day, it was a joyful and meaningful time for the pledge of peace mingling with foreigners.

May 13, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
Reply #3

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »
A nauseating video from Mannam's nauseating cultic perspective:

20130421_MANNAM 10k with PoP

I need to jot down that speech if I can refrain from barfing. And while none of the footage they took of me made it in to that video, it was certainly shown at Shinchonji HQ as evidenced by the attention and comments I received from total strangers (and SCJ bidy guards) at Schinchonji's "Open" Bible Seminar last week in Seoul. No surprises there.

May 21, 2013, 01:00:29 PM
Reply #4

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
Well someone from Mannam's Running Club noticed the North Korea similarities^^

Hey MIRCs, How are you?  Hope you are doing well!

Finally it is cherry blossom season!

This Sunday, do you have any plan?
I would like to invite you to “10Km in their shoes” event.
This’s a peace awareness campaign for 12 countries suffering the consequences of wars or internal conflicts.

This will be an oportunity to show all nations how we wish to actively pursue peace! Also you can enjoy the beauty of flowers at Seoul Grand Park!

Below is the link to this event’s page :
http://miycyouth.org

Through this, you can get detailed infos and register the event.
Roughly 2000ppl gather together!

Beside the walkerthon, various activities will be held. One of them is card section performance (what north korea is famous for. lol)

If u have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks =)

May 23, 2013, 12:00:45 AM
Reply #5

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
I'd like share a little more about the Mannam/SCJ "security guards" and the filming of critics which appears to be a well ingrained policy. I first noticed Mannam security guards back in September at a dance/disco event I attended at Youido:

The security guards just seemed so completely out of place and 200% unnecessary. On the surface it did indeed look like wonderful fun event, so why were the security guards on alert, talking to each other over their earpieces as though Obama was about to make an unannounced appearance?

I knew the answer, but I was pleasantly surprised when my Mannam guide - the girl who latched onto me as I left the nearby subway - was unusually straight forward and honest. I didn't ask about the security guards, but I did ask why every foreigner in view was being approached and offered a ticket into the enclosed square but not a single Korean was. The area was fenced off, and there were actually Koreans standing outside looking in as though we were in a zoo, which I guess in a way we were:

My guide - for lack of a better word - said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Mannam has enemies, we don't know who they all are, and they might come and try to disrupt the party." And that explained the security guards.

In March 2013, I attended another Mannam event - a peace parade compete with Mannam guys dressed up as evil looking Japanese soldiers complete with evil-looking mustaches. (Video coming in the summer of 2013). I filmed the parade from a distance and while doing so a pretty girl approached, said she was just waiting to meet a friend, and asked what I was doing. "I'm filming a cult event!"

We chatted a while and then she wandered off, supposedly to meet her friend. I saw her later along the route of the march intently talking to Mannam members. A few minutes later while filming amongst a group of people doing the same thing, a "security guard" came running over suddenly and started pushing me. He was joined by two other "security guards". A little swearing and some pushing resulted before they finally backed off. That's when Mannam photographers suddenly started taking an interest in me. They would walk past and suddenly take a photo of me and then not so nonchalantly walk off. I noticed four or five of them doing that. (I'd been photographed before actually in Daegu: a little adventure that ended up in a police station where a kind police officer deleted the photo for me, but that's a story for another day). So at this March event I was photographed and videoed a lot. Then a couple of months later I went along to this zoo event....

As I walk out of the station I noticed a guy in front of me turn to me, take my picture, and then run ahead as though he just remembered he had something urgent to do. A few minutes later I arrive and start filming, again there were other people around me taking photos and videos. And there were also numerous Mannam members with fake "Media" badges doing the same. Within ten seconds I was approached by the first security guard and told to stop filming. When I refused, they started following me and that young girl started videoing my face from as close as possible.

What I found really creepy was how quickly these young Mannam girls and boys obeyed the orders of the security guards. "Film him, follow him, don't speak to him, don't let him register, don't sell him a T-shirt" That really shows the side of Mannam that most foreigners rarely catch a glimpse of, and that is the cult under the surface: the authoritarian structure that doesn't belong in any peace group outside of North Korea.

And what happens to all the footage? Well this past Monday and Tuesday nights (May 6 and 7), I found myself - quite by accident - attending Shinchonji's "Open Bible Greatest Event Ever Seminar". I take my seat and, since dozens of other people in the audience are taking photos, I whip out my iPhone and snap a picture of the stage. I feel someone poke me in the back. I turn around and there is a very unhappy looking humorless lady in her late 40s/early 50s looking angrily at me: "Don't take photos!" "Oops sorry". She comes back with "Behave!" I know who you are!" "Don't cause trouble, repent!" and a little later when Man Hee Lee was talking, "Sit up straight, you're in the presence of the Lord!"

So that's what became of the footage that sweet looking young girl took of me at the zoo:

May 24, 2013, 07:45:42 AM
Reply #6

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:45:42 AM »
CNN iReport of the zoo event^^

The Pledge of Peace and Public Declaration of ceasing the war launching event of the MANNAM International youth Coalition

21st of April, 2013 at the Seoul Grand Park in Seoul, South Korea, MANNAM International Youth Coalition will hold a national scale event to proclaim their vision of a world without war.

Due to a current situation on the Korean Peninsula, the issue of peace became more crucial. Despite the peaceful façade existing between the South and North, the divided nation of Korea is still at war. It is a war that has gone on for decades. The 1950-53 civil wars ended in a ceasefire agreement rather than a peace treaty ultimately concluding the conflict. Recently, North Korea threatened to nullify the armistice agreement that brought the Korean War to its uneasy rest in 1953, citing U.S.-led international moves to impose new sanctions against it over its recent nuclear test. Although these problems are specifically Korean, it is not only Korea where peace is needed. There are many countries that suffer the consequences of wars or internal conflicts.

In order to speed our society’s progress towards a realistic and manageable solution for world conflict and promote the cause of World Peace, MANNAM Volunteer Association has put in place the structure for an International youth coalition which aims to mobilize the youth of the world in volunteer work and cultural education programs to facilitate education towards a culture of peace. This event, hosted on 21 April 2013, was the first step towards a unified effort for peace and the cessation of war by the youth of our world.

Besides speeches from the representatives of each country for ceasing war, declaration of peace from the leaders of each community, captivating public performances (mass games), the launch of MIYC event program included 10 km walking marathon, a peace awareness campaign centering around Nepal, Bangladesh, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, India, Philippines, China, Malawi, Uganda Vietnam, Saudi Arabia and Korea.

MANNAM International Youth Coalition was formed from groups of young people coming together with the vision and determination to unite people across borders, cultures, languages and races. MIYC aims to foster a spirit of appreciation and respect for the diversity of humanity, as well as for all individuals that create that diversity. The purpose of MIYC is to unite major youth associations around the world in support of the development of their communities and motivating their nation to actively pursue peace.

Currently there are 83 organizations and universities, in 44 countries affiliated to MIYC, and the list is growing. Organizations affiliated to MIYC will engage in collaborative projects throughout the year, meeting once or twice annually to participate in youth summits aimed at developing practical and sustainable solutions to the challenges facing us in the pursuit of peace.