Advanced Search

Author Topic: Used to be in this group  (Read 6223 times)

January 08, 2010, 09:35:06 PM
Read 6223 times

Offline esfes1025

• Lunch

• View Profile
Used to be in this group
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
Hi,

Last year I was involved at one way or another with this group from September 2008 until June 2009.  I have left and have also made a blog about some of my experiences with this group. 

http://esfes1025.wordpress.com/

January 09, 2010, 10:02:31 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Used to be in this group
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »
June 14, 2014 Update:
If you're looking for information about fugitive Yoo Byung-eun and the Korean ferry disaster, you can find it here:
The Salvation Sect (Gu Won Pa) & the Sewol Ferry Tragedy.
Guwonpa is an umbrella term used to describe several (now different) groups with shared origins. The below information concerns the Guwonpa that was, before the ferry sinking, the most visible and notable of the three Guwonpa groups.

Thanks for sharing that.
There isn't a whole lot of information about this group on the Internet, so your blog is unique in that respect and very important.
Especially because the information is all very recent.
I'd urge other visitors here to check out the blog. Lots of details about the group that as I mentioned haven't been available before.
I was always suspicious of this group, but I think this is the first time a former member has said the leader claims to be God's sole representative on earth.
And the tactic of holding events over Christmas to keep members away from their family.. that's disgusting. I don't recall reading about a group pulling that stunt before.

Good luck reaching your friends still in the group. You're certainly going about it the right way

Did you ever spend any time in Korea while in the group?

January 11, 2010, 01:58:48 AM
Reply #2

Offline esfes1025

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »
Sorry for not responding quickly...

In regards to your question about if I spent some time in Korea with this group.

I was in Korea teaching English through a Hagawon.  These are private English schools in Korea for students aged 4-5 all the way through about 17.  One night on my way to do some shopping at Lotte' Mart (think of it like the Korean Super Wal-Mart), people from the Good News Mission church in that town were passing out information about a Bible Conference they were getting ready for.  The first thing that happens is this woman says in perfect English" "Hello how are you tonight?"

When You are in Korea for as long as I was, you get lonely.  So if you run into someone(particularly a Korean person) who speaks English well you talk to them, no matter how much of a hurry you are in. I then talked to this other guy and he invited me to their church.  I only attended this church for about 2 or three months in Korea.  I will admit I did like that experience.  I think the biggest reason why I was initially mesmerized was that they lived like the part in Acts 2:42-47.

They also gave me a copy of the "Secret of Forgiveness of Sin and being Born Again."  I do think that this book was helpful to me to realize things I never knew about Christianity and the Bible.  However, this book sadly, which I do believe that it can be used to help someone gain salvation... is used as a "bait and hook" for many people as it was for me.

I have read that biblically based cults do in fact contain about 85-90% of the truth and the Bible... they just corrupt and manipulate the rest.  I would say that this is a safe bet with this group.  I would say that many people do gain salvation from this group but then are deceived by the leaders... and some possibly lose their salvation. Its reminds me of one of the conversations Jesus had with the religious leaders in the Bible (sorry don't know the reference).  He mentions that when people were coming to the leaders to find God... they got all these weighty burdens put on them, and the person then is now twice doomed to Hell.  This is how I see many people in this group. 

January 11, 2010, 10:57:50 PM
Reply #3

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
When You are in Korea for as long as I was, you get lonely.  So if you run into someone(particularly a Korean person) who speaks English well you talk to them, no matter how much of a hurry you are in.

That reminds me of my very first encounter with a cult in Korea, which occured after I had been here about 3 days... It didn't take long!
Two women struck up a conversation with me and made no mention of church or Bible study. When I told them I had just arrived they invited me to dinner with them and some friends the next weekend. I agreed and then as soon as we all sat down for dinner they all pulled out their Bibles and Watch Tower magazines. I told them I wasn't interested, but I hoped we could be friends. I never heard from them again.

January 13, 2010, 02:55:09 PM
Reply #4

Offline esfes1025

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »
yeah there is a lot of that group in Korea that is growing.  I would say about once a week I was visited by them, but they usually left quick when they realized we didn't speak the same language.