Advanced Search

Author Topic: A judge rules in favor of Victims of JUNG MYUNG SUK.  (Read 21613 times)

January 18, 2008, 06:16:07 PM
Read 21613 times

Offline solidsnake

• Lunch

• View Profile
A judge rules in favor of Victims of JUNG MYUNG SUK.
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
Source: http://nuri.donga.com/nurinews/view.php?k_id=200801110239&m=2

It basically states that the Supreme Court of Korea ruled that Jung must pay Victim A (Japanese woman)--who filed a molestation and rape lawsuit against Jung--10 million won (10,000 in us dollars), and Victim B (Korean woman)--who filed the same lawsuit against Jung--50 million won (50,000 in us dollars.) :)

January 18, 2008, 07:36:29 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: A judge rules in favor of Victims of JUNG MYUNG SUK.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
Great news. What an ordeal those women must have gone through.

The money does seem a little low though. given the millions Jeong has raked in over the years, it's really just pocket change for the cult.

PJ probably won't even need to ask American followers for extra tax-deductible donations.

What an eventful year this is going to be.
Momemtum is building, soon this cult will be history, or at least so widely exposed they'll have to go to the moon to recruit.

January 18, 2008, 08:23:15 PM
Reply #2

Offline WasNotWas

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
Does this have any bearing on the criminal charges against him? Has he been extradited to Korea already then?

January 18, 2008, 09:54:19 PM
Reply #3

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
Does this have any bearing on the criminal charges against him? Has he been extradited to Korea already then?

I don't know how this relates to the criminal charges, I imagine they are seperate.
I believe there have been several such decisions in favor of Jeong's victims in the past, so they were awarded in his absence, as I suspect this one was.

When Jeong does return, I'm sure we'll hear about it. His return will make headlines in Korea and Japan at least, and hopefully, if some western journalists are on the ball, in the west as well. Perhaps they'll even examine JMS in America.
  >:(

January 27, 2008, 11:01:47 AM
Reply #4

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »
I checked Japanese website antijms.info with my limited Japanese.  It seems that this is a legal case being dragged for a very long time.

It was always in favor to the victims, and supreme court is just reconfirming high court's ruling.

I thing Jung's absence probably delay the trial for a long time, but I don't think his absence cost any of his statutory right.  I learned from the Japanese website that this is a civil case, not a criminal case (I still need to verify this).  If this is true, it probably means either that victims had given up criminal case long long time ago, or that criminal case is still pending.

January 27, 2008, 11:08:32 AM
Reply #5

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 11:08:32 AM »
Dear Solidsnake

For this news article http://nuri.donga.com/nurinews/view.php?k_id=200801110239&m=2 would you be able to provide full english translation?

I am trying to understand the full story.

January 27, 2008, 11:19:49 AM
Reply #6

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
Dear Solidsnake

For this news article http://nuri.donga.com/nurinews/view.php?k_id=200801110239&m=2 would you be able to provide full english translation?

I am trying to understand the full story.

I'm not sure if Solidsnake is fluent in Chinese, but if not, there are some visitors here that are, and I also have some Chinese friends whose English is near fluent.  It might take some time, but I'm hopeful we can get these details in English.

I'll copy the text just for a further record of it in case the original article goes offline. Some news sites don't keep all their previous articles online:

JMS 舛誤汐松, 重亀 失賑楳 6探幻据 是切戟 溌舛 

舛誤汐松
疑焼析左 切戟 紫遭 

JMS 舛誤汐 恥仙拭惟 失蓄楳・失賑楳 雁廃 食失重亀 2誤戚 是切戟研 閤惟 菊陥.

企狛据 1採(爽宿 丞渋殿 企狛淫)澗 舛松研 雌企稽 穿 食失重亀 2誤戚 "失蓄楳・失賑楳 杷背拭 企廃 是切戟研 走厭馬虞"壱 浬 謝背壕雌 短姥社勺拭辞 析沙食失 A松拭惟 1探幻据, 廃厩食失 B松拭惟 5探幻据聖 走厭馬虞澗 据宿税 毒衣聖 溌舛梅陥壱 11析 項縛陥.

A松澗 析沙拭辞 重亀亜 吉及 号廃梅陥亜 1995鰍 7杉26析 硲土号拭辞 失蓄楳雁梅壱, B松澗 1994鰍 6杉採斗 重亀稽 醗疑馬揮 掻 1999鰍 段 呪託景 娃製, 蓄楳聖 雁廃及 旭精背 2杉 JMS拭辞 纏盗梅陥.

A松人 B松澗 2000鰍 6杉5析 廃厩食失 C, D松人 敗臆 舛松研 雌企稽 謝背壕雌 社勺聖 薦奄梅生悟, 1宿 仙毒採澗 舛松亜 A松拭惟 1探幻据聖, 3誤税 食失拭惟 唖唖 5探幻据聖 走厭馬虞壱 識壱梅陥.

2宿 仙毒採澗 C松税 井酔 社瑚獣反亜 走概陥悟 奄唖馬壱, 蟹袴走 3誤拭 企背辞澗 1宿税 識壱研 政走梅生蟹 D松澗 2宿 毒衣 板 社研 昼馬梅陥.

企狛据精 毒衣庚拭辞 "舛松澗 沙昔戚 五獣焼戚糠稽 切重税 失旋 楳是澗 姥据聖 是廃 暁澗 肱製聖 獣蝿馬澗 曽嘘旋 楳是稽辞 戚研 暗採馬檎 照吉陥壱 据壱級聖 奄諺梅壱, 戚拭 紗精 据壱級精 舛松税 失旋楳是研 曽嘘旋 楳是稽 神昔背 暗採馬走 公梅陥. 戚澗 据壱級税 舛雌旋昔 失旋 切奄衣舛映聖 徴背廃 災狛楳是拭 背雁廃陥"虞壱 項縛陥.

企狛据精 暁 "A松亜 失蓄楳聖 雁廃 依精 1995鰍戚走幻 JMS税 曽嘘旋 嘘軒拭 匙閃 是狛失聖 昔縦 公馬陥亜 1999鰍 纏盗馬檎辞 災狛楳是稽 昔廃 謝背研 昔縦梅陥檎 益 凶採斗 社瑚獣反 3鰍聖 域至馬澗 惟 限陥"悟 2000鰍拭 社勺聖 薦奄廃 汽 戚雌戚 蒸陥壱 機細心陥.

狛巷採澗 亀杷持醗 掻 暁 陥献 失賑楳 紫闇生稽 掻厩 因照雁厩拭 端匂吉 舛誤汐松研 繕幻娃 厩鎧稽 勺発拝 森舛戚悟 薄仙 4誤 戚雌税 食失戚 舛松拭惟 杷背研 脊醸陥悟 伊茸拭 壱社舌聖 薦窒廃 雌殿陥.

(辞随=尻杯敢什)

January 27, 2008, 03:35:37 PM
Reply #7

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
Wow, I didn't see this when it was first posted, only now. Definitely need an English translation.

This would have to be a civil case. In Korea there is (or was) a law that rape victims had to sue within 6 months of the act or it had to be a civil case. I would guess that this is a result of that law. Though there are criminal charges against Jung I expect that this is separate and by different women.

February 23, 2008, 09:05:43 PM
Reply #8

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
This English article mentions it:
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2008/02/23/56/0302000000AEN20080223001200315F.HTML

혻혻 In 2003, two women, a South Korean and a Japanese, filed a criminal suit with a Seoul court against him, claiming that they were raped by Jeong.

혻혻 Last month, South Korea's Supreme Court ruled in favor of the two women, ordering Jeong to pay them 10 million won (US$10,500) and 5 million won, respectively, in compensation.

혻혻 The court said Jeong forced the followers to have sex with him, saying that is a religious behavior meant to save their souls.

It seems to imply that it was in fact a criminal suit.

February 24, 2008, 09:16:06 AM
Reply #9

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »

It seems to imply that it was in fact a criminal suit.

Mmmm.....Somehow I got the impression that it was a criminal case + civil case. 

This article (http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2886496) says "Prosecutors began questioning Jung after his arrival regarding nine complaints filed against him on charges that include embezzlement and sexual assault."

And this article (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/02/113_19368.html) says: "Aside from the Supreme Court's rape charge in January, he is involved in eight other embezzlement, sexual assault or fraud allegations."

So, comparing these two articles, it seems to me that it suggests the investigation about the Jan 10 supreme court ruling is still on-going.  Well, how can that be?  So, my naive thinking is: there are civil component and ciminal component in this case.  The supreme court ruling in Jan 10 covered the civil part (the compensation part).  And the criminal part (like jailing Jung and sentence him into prison etc...) has not been able to proceed because Jung had run away.

Do anybody knows what is going on?

February 26, 2008, 10:11:01 AM
Reply #10

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »
Not sure.

But to clarify, the compensation was 10 and 50 million won as the Korean articles say. The English article says it is 10 and 5 but the reporter confirmed to me it was an error.

February 26, 2008, 10:46:46 AM
Reply #11

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Not sure.

But to clarify, the compensation was 10 and 50 million won as the Korean articles say. The English article says it is 10 and 5 but the reporter confirmed to me it was an error.

Glad to hear that, I thought 5 million won sounded pretty low.