Advanced Search

Author Topic: January 2008: Jung to be extradited to S. Korea  (Read 18727 times)

January 02, 2008, 09:59:33 PM
Read 18727 times

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
January 2008: Jung to be extradited to S. Korea
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »
Accused rapist cult leader faces extradition to Korea

China's top court has approved the extradition of a South Korean cult leader accused of raping his female followers, the justice ministry in Seoul said.

China's Supreme People's Court last month upheld a decision by a tribunal in the province of Liaoning to extradite Jeong Myeong-seok, it said.

"It will take several more months until the extradition is carried out following a final decision by the State Council (cabinet)," a ministry official said.

Jeong, aged in his early 60s, set up a cult known as JMS - after his initials. He fled South Korea in 1999, one day after rape allegations against him were aired on national television.

In 2001, Jeong was formally charged in his absence with rape. He was arrested in Hong Kong in 2003 on visa violations, fled an extradition hearing but was detained by Chinese authorities in May last year.

He claims he has received special revelations from God. Former cult members, mostly young girls, have told police they were instructed to undress for a "health check" and to have sex with him to wipe out their sins.

The girls said they were threatened with "spiritual death" if they spoke of their experiences, according to previous reports by Yonhap new agency.

Jeong is still believed to command thousands of followers including students, soldiers, teachers and children, Yonhap reported.

article hosted at:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22998981-23109,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22998981-5001028,00.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22998981-12335,00.html
http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Asia/STIStory_192096.html
http://www.scmp.com/...

the Yonhap article it refers to is from May 2007:
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-30801576_ITM

January 02, 2008, 10:14:04 PM
Reply #1

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: January 2008: Jung to be extradited to S. Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
The article originates from Agence France-Presse. Looks like they released it in Portuguese too:

Líder de culto detido e com extradição confirmada

O Supremo Tribunal do Povo Chinês, aprovou a decisão de um tribunal regional em extraditar Jeong Myeong Seok, fundador do culto JMS.

Jeong, com cerca de 60 anos, fugiu da Coreia do Sul, seu país natal, em 1999, após alegações de violação contra ele terem sido difundidas num canal de televisão nacional.

Em 2001, Jeong for formalmente acusado de violação, tendo sido preso em Hong Kong dois anos depois, por falta de visto. Conseguiu escapar à extradição, mas foi novamente detido pelas autoridades chinesas em Maio passado.

Jeong reclama ter recebido revelações especiais da parte de Deus. Antigos membros do culto, maioritariamente jovens raparigas, denunciaram à polícia que tinham sido instruídas a se despirem para uma ‘verificação de saúde’, e a manterem relações sexuais com Jeong para serem purificadas dos seus pecados.

As raparigas disseram que foram ameaçadas de ‘morte espiritual’, caso falassem acerca das suas experiências no culto.

Acredita-se que Jeong ainda lidere milhares de seguidores, incluindo estudantes, militares, professores e crianças.

http://otempofinal.blogspot.com/2008/01/lder-de-culto-detido-e-com-extradio.html

January 02, 2008, 10:52:14 PM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »
Thank you RB!

I noticed today a large, by this sites standards!, increase in visitors from Singapore.
I thought something may have been up.

Thank you for finding this stuff!

January 03, 2008, 03:51:14 PM
Reply #4

Offline scarlett

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
Wow!

What a way to start off the New Year. Wonder if any of this news has trickled to the American JMS leadership. More interesting will be the response, if any, from current JMS members. It's still unbelievable that the general membership will be kept in the dark about this or will be fed the same "persecution and prayer" line. Anyway, great news. I will stay tuned.  :-*

January 03, 2008, 09:31:17 PM
Reply #5

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »
Wonder if any of this news has trickled to the American JMS leadership.

Ralph popped in earlier today, so he's read the news  :-\
The New York "Pastor" has been visiting often of late, mainly to see if his name's mentioned - he doesn't like that much, but he hasn't been here since rb posted.

Same info as the articles, but I like the addition of the audio narration, even with the mispronunciation of Jeong's name:
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/audio/3005020000.html

January 12, 2008, 09:37:22 AM
Reply #6

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
Some late reports from Japan & Hong Kong:

S Korean cult leader arrested in China to be extradited

Friday, January 11, 2008 at 14:33 EST

SEOUL — The leader of a South Korea-originated cult, who has been under arrest in China after more than six years on the run, will be extradited to South Korea at an early date to face rape charges there, the South Korean Justice Ministry said Friday.

The Chinese government earlier approved a South Korean request for the extradition of Jung Myung Seok. He was arrested in Beijing in May last year. Jung, 62, is the founder of the Jesus Morning Star movement and the leader of a Japanese arm of the cult called "Setsuri," or Providence. South Korean authorities put him on an Interpol wanted list over allegations of sexually assaulting several women.

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/424740

China to extradite Korean cult leader

2008-01-11 HKT 20:43
China has approved the extradition of a South Korean cult leader who's accused of raping his female followers. The man, Jeong Myeong-seok, left Korea in 1999 and was arrested in Hong Kong in 2003. But he escaped to the mainland before an extradition hearing could be held. His former followers, mostly young girls, have told police they were instructed to have sex with him to wipe out their sins.

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/englishnews/20080111/news_20080111_56_460282.htm

Curiously there was a considerably larger than normal English Internet response to this... quite a few blogs and forum posts.

January 12, 2008, 08:03:03 PM
Reply #7

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
Beijing approves extraditing alleged SKorean rapist cult chief

Saturday, 12 January 2008
China's cabinet has approved the extradition of a South Korean cult leader accused of raping his female followers, the justice ministry in Seoul said yesterday.China's State Council on Monday decided to hand over Jeong Myeong-Seok to South Korea after the Supreme People's Court last month upheld a lower-court decision to extradite him, the ministry said."We are now working on details, including the formation of a team to bring him here," Hwang Cheol-Kyu, head of international affairs for the ministry, told reporters.Jeong, aged in his early sixties, set up a cult known by his initials of JMS in the late 1980s. He fled South Korea in 1999, one day after rape allegations against him were broadcast on national television.In 2001, South Korean authorities charged Jeong with rape.Jeong was arrested in Hong Kong in 2003 on visa violations, and later fled an extradition hearing. But he was detained by Chinese authorities in May last year on charges that he raped another South Korean follower in China.Jeong claims he has received special revelations from God. Former cult members, mostly young girls, have told police they were instructed to undress for a health check and to have sex with him to wipe out their sins.The girls said they were threatened with spiritual death if they spoke of what happened, according to previous media reports.

News reports said Jeong was still believed to command thousands of followers, including students, soldiers, teachers and children.
http://www.macaudailytimesnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5301&Itemid=31

January 23, 2008, 02:51:30 AM
Reply #8

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
Can someone answer me this question.

JMS followers in Taiwan is claiming Jung's extradition means he committed no crime in China, which in terms make the claim Jung raped girls in China in April 2006 to be false.

China should have priority to persecute Jung if he committed crime in China.  What make Chin gave up such priority to S. Korea?

Is that because the girl he raped are not Chinese and probably all went back to their country, which makes Chinese justice system unable to prosecute him?

January 23, 2008, 08:34:05 AM
Reply #9

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
Hi JC,
Those are interesting questions, and I'm sorry but I don't have any answers for you, just a few personal thoughts as I don't have any inside knowledge about the process.

First, the 2006 allegations (more about those here) were never mentioned in regards to Jeong's arrest. Those girls were Korean and returned to Korea in May of 2006. I don't know what that means regarding their accusations, but from the reports the girls got out of China and returned home as quickly as possible. I have certainly never heard any reports that those allegations were deemed false, nor any of the other accusations for that matter.

The Australian newspaper stated that  "And in a rare example of north Asian collaboration, it appears authorities in China, Japan and South Korea are discussing where he will face a long list of charges." And other reports confirmed that South korea requested his extradition. The Fox news article, no longer online but copied here, stated last May that "it was unclear when Jung could be extradited because Chinese authorities are investigating him over unspecified separate charges."
As far as I know, no further reports gave any further details about those charges.

To infer from that that the 2006 reports are false would seem to be to be quite a stretch, not to mention a further insult to the victims.

It could be a case that the three nations co-operated and decided that Korea was the best place to trial him.
The cult does have a habbit of looking on the bright side of things and clutching at anything to combat their terrible reputation.

And it's worth keeping in mind that this is a unique case.

I would tell JMS in Taiwan that the important thing is the Jeong is going home to face the allegations and charges that he fled from.

Sorry I don't have any more specific information for you.

A question for you if you don't mind.  Did JMS Taiwan make a public statement, or was that something you heard from a member?

January 23, 2008, 08:41:21 PM
Reply #10

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
Thanks, Peter

JMS Taiwan make no official statement.... but a lot of MS is posting this argument all over their blog.... I don't know whether you would consider this kind of un-official statment 'public'

January 25, 2008, 09:00:44 AM
Reply #11

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
JMS Taiwan make no official statement.... but a lot of MS is posting this argument all over their blog.... I don't know whether you would consider this kind of un-official statment 'public'

Thanks for that, that's interesting to know.
At least they aren't denying he's been arrested. I don't recall an American member ever stating that, apart from a few non-specific posts about great men being persecuted. And they still seem to be keeping new recruits totally in the dark. 
So, as pathetic as they are in Taiwan, at least they are being kind of honest.

JC, would you mind sharing the links to these blogs?

January 27, 2008, 10:37:38 AM
Reply #12

Offline jc

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »
I don't mind sharing with all, but I am still hoping they will take them down themselves.

To be honest to you, I felt it is kind of weird.

Jung's extradition should be some kind of bad news to MS in Taiwan, however, on the contrary they saw it as an encouraging news!  One reason is that China is notorious in its religious freedom, while the other one is that Chinese Justice system isn't that great either.

Therefore, Jung's extradition to China seems to be 'a good news' to MS in Taiwan.  They think that a least he will get a fair trial in S. Korea.

MS in Taiwan doesn't ususally blog, but for the last two month, a lot of new blogs were set up.  They start sharing their personal belief and conviction in JMS over the web site.

Of course, these exciting emotional expression are fuelled by two things. 

First, some MS in Taiwan wrote an article discussing the implication of Jung's extradition under Chinese's extradition law.  It is not written by a lawyer, or someone who has done some legal study, so the argument is really faulty.  Nevertheless, the MSs in Taiwan are so excited over this article, so they post it on their blog.  Careful examination on the article itself (i.e. you don't even need to dig up Chinese's extradition law at all!) readers should be able to pick out the logic flaw.  However, how many of us have been found guilty of posting or quoting articles without first carefully examining arguments in the content?

Second, on the January 11th, CGM had a press release article claiming Jung's innocence, and the article was carried by Korean news media.  Well, of course, we know this is a mere response of the media to provide a 'balanced' journalism to JMS's case.  Just the day before (2008/01/10), Korean supreme court rule in favor the civil case against Jung by Japanese and Korean female victims.  The news about China cabinet's decision to extradite Jung back (decision made on 2008/01/07) was just reaching Korea.  Korean news paper carries this CGM press release article for balanced journalism, and this article was translated into Chinese (perhaps by CGM/CCYA itself) and made known among MSs in Taiwan.  The MSs in Taiwan had not had any news about Jung for a long time, and they saw the first article about Jung is about Jung's innocence.  By no surprise they are excited. 

This two things all of a sudden boom the MSs internet activity.

Well, they are playing an limited information game.

About Jung's extradition.  The author of the article layout a reason that Jung's extradition implying he commited no crime in China.  If Jung had commited any crime, China would first raise criminal case against him, and probably jail him for a full term before he is extradited back to S. Korea.  While what he says is true, and is a common practice in international law, he failed to understand that Chinese extradition law provided some room for Justice system make necessary arrangement.  Under China's extradition law, China 'can' reject the extradition request if Jung is undergoing criminal investigation or criminal prosecution in China.  However, it is only a 'can', and it is not a 'must'.  So Jung can be extradited even he had commit crime in China.  On the other hand, he also failed to see that the allegation that Jung had raped female followers from China, Korea, Hong Kong and Japan in April 2006 is an 'international criminal case'.  All three countries (China/Japan/Korea) can claim jurisdiction over this case.  While China is the place the alleged crime took place, Korea is the country whose citizen involved most (the raper and rapees), Korea is the country that has most severe cases against Jung, and most importantly, Korea had made extradition request (on 2006/11/30) well before Jung is being sought by Chinese authority for whatever issue.  Extraditing Jung to Korea for trial does not imply Jung is cleared in this case.

While no one had seen the content of the extradition document (or the bargaining between two countries), no one is 100% sure what is the Jung's real legal situation.  I am not a lawyer or who has done any legal study, hence my argument is also merely a speculation.

A the moment, I am in a series of email exchange with the person who post the article.  I have already point out the false in his argument, and  I hope he will take it down by himself in a week time.  Otherwise, I will have to lay down my reasoning, then it more or less would be a bad press to Jung and MSs in Taiwan.

About the CGM press release article.  Now, I really need someone to translate that Korean news article on supreme court's decision in favor to those victims into Chinese. 

January 27, 2008, 10:50:36 AM
Reply #13

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:50:36 AM »
About the CGM press release article.  Now, I really need someone to translate that Korean news article on supreme court's decision in favor to those victims into Chinese. 

Could you post a link to that?
I'm sure we can get a translation eventually.
I have a few friends who do translating work at Keimyung Uni. I normally resist asking for JMS stuff, but if we don't have a translation in a few weeks when I get back, I'll ask them.

And thanks for your post, very interesting stuff.

And interesting that they believe he'll get a fair trial in Korea, because other JMS have said that the reason he fled Korea in the first place was because he believed he wouldn't get a fair trial. Interesting back-flip.

Fascinating.