Advanced Search

Author Topic: Jim Jones' Final Sermon  (Read 12495 times)

March 24, 2007, 12:10:44 AM
Read 12495 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Jim Jones' Final Sermon
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »
This isn't real pleasant...

Audio recording - set to images - of Jim Jones talking to his followers at Jonestown between the Congressman being murdered and the drinking of the Kool Aid

[youtube=425,350]-uzEAYv6RT8[/youtube]

Scary, scary stuff.

An audio made on November 18, 1978, at the Peoples Temple compound in Jonestown, Guyana immediately preceding and during the mass suicide or murder of over 900 members of the cult.

Author: The Rev. Jim Jones, et al. (The Peoples Temple cult)
    Date: 1978-11-18

I acquired the source cassette tape from a schoolmate c. 1979 whose father was an FBI agent
    -Olen Sluder

Part 2
One lady wants to live, another yells out he is ready to die.
Jim makes his case for killing the children.
Not real pleasant night time listening...

[youtube=425,350]RTDSfUHg8d4[/youtube]

A transcript, with info about the recording is  available here.

If you're not sure you want to listen to it, here's a sample:
MILLER: I said I'm not ready to die. 

JONES: I don't think you are. 

MILLER: But, ah, I look about at the babies and I think they deserve to live, you know? 

JONES: I agree. But also they deserve much more; they deserve peace. 

MILLER: We all came here for peace. 

JONES: And we've--have we had it? 

MILLER: No. 

JONES: I tried to give it to you. I've laid down my life, practically. I've practically died every day to give you peace. And you still not have any peace. You look better than I've seen you in a long while, but it's still not the kind of peace that I want to give you.

December 23, 2008, 05:19:44 PM
Reply #1

Offline bdiego

• Lunch

• View Profile
Re: Jim Jones' Final Sermon
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »
cnn just has a special on jones because of the 30th anniversary it aired a couple of weeks ago.  quite interesting which is a change for cnn stories.

i do not think he was any scarier than other dictator at the time or even now.  the problem comes when the absolute power corrupts and such men should be a warning to others who aspire to control people, both secular and religious.

Yeah, there have been many people with a comparable or even stronger grip on their followers - the difference here is jones used that grip to order mass suicide.  Most tyrants use their power against outsiders, jones used it on insiders.

December 26, 2008, 05:21:51 AM
Reply #2

Offline WasNotWas

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »
you are forgetting about the mass suicide by the alien cult, i forget their name right now. not as many as jim jones but still no less tragic.

I think you mean Heaven's Gate

December 26, 2008, 04:37:27 PM
Reply #3

Offline bdiego

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »
the difference here is jones used that grip to order mass suicide.  Most tyrants use their power against outsiders, jones used it on insiders.

there is no difference here as the severityand traicness of the act is the same whether it is used on insiders or out.

you are forgetting about the mass suicide by the alien cult, i forget their name right now. not as many as jim jones but still no less tragic.

all dictators, fanatical cult leaders and others like them use their power on insiders, for that is where they have the control.  you may see them threaten outsiders and in some cases take violent measures but they would be in a lot of trouble as outsiders generally go to the police for help.  insiders won't do that when treated harshly.

Oh I know, I'm not talking about the morality or severity of it.  Just saying this makes them crazier.

I was trying to make a different point but I know it didn't come across in my post.  I think there have been a lot of cults and pseudo-cults where the leader had absolute power and belief of their followers, and could have ordered mass suicide but didn't.  The difference was usually they were simply more evil than deluded.  Just a comment, not trying to debate anything here.

I think you make a good point, but I've found most cult members are willing dupes rather than terrified hostages.  Every time we hear about a victim who needs help, we can see how the greater numbers of the cult work to suppress them.  I've seen this first hand in mainstream religions when exhibiting cult-like qualities.

April 13, 2009, 07:31:47 PM
Reply #4

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
I just found a copy of Jones's final sermon, the above YouTube links haven't worked for some time.

[stream=300,140]http://captporridge.com/audio/jonesdeathtapes.mp3[/stream]