Advanced Search

Author Topic: Jan 2007: Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba (Japan)  (Read 14581 times)

January 19, 2007, 07:39:11 AM
Read 14581 times

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
Jan 2007: Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba (Japan)
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070118/kyodo/d8mnppj00.html

CHIBA, Japan, Jan. 19–(Kyodo) — Chiba police raided facilities connected to the Setsuri cult in the city of Chiba on Thursday evening on suspicion that a senior member, a South Korean woman, has illegally obtained her resident status in Japan for missionary work, investigative sources said.

The 44-year-old woman is suspected of having violated the immigration law.

It is believed that Setsuri, or Providence, was established in South Korea around 1980 and became active in Japan around 1987.

There are reportedly more than 2,000 followers of the cult in Japan.

Its founder Jung Myung Seok, 61, allegedly assaulted several female members sexually. He is now on the international wanted list.

The senior member is believed to be a close aide of the founder and to have sent female members to him who he sexually abused, informed sources said.

She arrived in Japan in 1988 and was enrolled at Chiba University, where she solicited students to join the cult.

But she left Japan for South Korea last July, shortly before a lawyer advocating for the victims filed a complaint with the police against her on suspicion of an immigration law violation and other charges.

According to investigations, the woman applied for a Japanese visa in March 2000 allegedly posing as a technical immigrant. She then allegedly went on to solicit people to join the cult around Chiba City, an activity not allowed under her visa category.

A complaint was also filed against a pair, including a person who was then president of the now-dissolved printing company in Yokohama, for allegedly helping forge documents to hire the woman for the company’s planning work.

The police suspect the woman has been turning over her pay straight to the president, and they are gathering evidence to support the evidence of the alleged fake employment.

The police also searched a facility in the city’s Chuo Ward, which was used by Jung when he came to Japan. The police believe Jung used a room inside the facility to sexually assault female followers.

January 19, 2007, 06:40:58 PM
Reply #2

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba (Japan)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070119/kyodo/d8mo4530h.html

Police Raid More Setsuri Cult Facilities

CHIBA, Japan, Jan. 19–(Kyodo) — Chiba police raided Setsuri cult facilities for the second day Friday, searching the home of the former president of a dissolved printing firm in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, on suspicion of abetting an immigrations law violation.

Friday’s move follows the raids Thursday on a total of eight locations, including the cult’s facilities in the city of Chiba, Chiba Prefecture, on suspicion that a senior cult member — a South Korean woman –has illegally obtained her residency status in Japan for missionary work.

Setsuri, or Providence, was established in South Korea and has been active in Japan since around 1987. Its founder, Jung Myung Seok, 61, is alleged to have sexually assaulted several female members.

The 44-year-old South Korean woman is believed to be the founder’s close aide and is suspected of arranging the women who were allegedly abused for him.

The 73-year-old former president is alleged to have conspired with a 55-year-old company president in the city of Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, in having documents filed with the authorities in March 2000 to hire the woman for planning work at the company, enabling her to work as a missionary, investigators said.

Lawyers working against the cult filed criminal complaints with the authorities last August against the South Korean woman for allegedly violating the immigrations law and against the two company executives for allegedly abetting her crime.

The lawyers say the printing company in Yokohama had business dealings with a printing and mail-order company run by the president, who lived in Kanazawa.

The Yokohama company was dissolved last March shortly after the lawyers asked the other company in writing to explain its relationships with the Setsuri cult, according to the lawyers. “We suspect there may have been a destruction of evidence” in the move, one of the lawyers said.

The printing and mail-order company, located in Hakusan, Ishikawa Prefecture, is listed on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. It signed an official partnership with the Japanese Olympic Committee in February 2003.

The South Korean woman left Japan for South Korea last July.

There are reportedly more than 2,000 followers of the cult in Japan. The cult’s founder is now on the international wanted list for his alleged sexual abuse of female followers.

January 19, 2007, 06:41:21 PM
Reply #3

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070119p2a00m0na016000c.html
http://www.gaijinpot.com/read_news.php?id=9813&time=1

Police: Setsuri cult no. 2 in hiding in Taiwan

CHIBA — A high-ranking member of the Providence cult (known in Japan as Setsuri), wanted by police for violating the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law, is in hiding in Taiwan, law enforcers said Friday.

Investigators suspect that the 44-year-old woman, who is second-in-command of the South Korea-based cult’s Japanese chapter, chose to hide in Taiwan because it has no criminal extradition treaty with Japan.

She left Narita Airport for Seoul in late July last year, shortly after it emerged that the cult’s founder Jung Myung-seok had allegedly raped numerous Japanese followers. She is believed to have initially stayed on Cheju Island, but subsequently fled to Taiwan.

The cult’s founder, also wanted by South Korean law enforcement authorities for rape, is believed to be hiding in China — which has no criminal extradition treaty with South Korea.

Chiba Prefectural Police on Thursday raided a cult building in Chiba, where the woman had lived over her alleged immigration law violation, and other locations on Friday.

January 19, 2007, 06:44:05 PM
Reply #4

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile

January 19, 2007, 06:53:17 PM
Reply #5

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile

January 19, 2007, 08:58:51 PM
Reply #6

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »
Are there links to the longer two stories above?

RB, that video didn't play for me, did you happen to save it?

January 19, 2007, 09:49:02 PM
Reply #7

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
I've got the video. It still works for me though anyway. The stories came from Religion News Blog. The actual articles are not from a newspaper but from a pre-newspaper news agency, so we might see them in actual newspapers tomorrow Japan time, which is why I didn't initially link to them, as you can barely see the article from the ads with RNB..

January 19, 2007, 10:40:51 PM
Reply #8

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »
Wow a pre-newspaper newsagency!

I've kind of got the video, but I'm back on on dial-up connection, so the audio is OK, but the video isn't.
If you have the file, can you send it to me through yousenit.  I'd like to put this video on youtube, and use part of it in my upcoming video responce to PJ's blog!  I'm sure he said something about Providence members being fine upstanding members of society ;)

January 20, 2007, 01:11:08 AM
Reply #9

Offline Elvis

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:11:08 AM »
It´s really a shame that something like this never happened in Korea, at least to my
knowledge. He´s still hiding in China and I believe that he has still defenders in higher ranks
in the korean society that care about him.

Boy what would I pay to see him going before court. On the other hand, if he would be
found guilty, that would make him even more the new Jesus in the eyes of his followers.
I saw and heard it many times talking to MSes, the way they twist reality to justify JMS is
heartbreaking. Besides, if you look carefully you can see the mind control techniques in their
faces. What once was a perfectly relaxed face becomes hardened. Often the voice changes to
a shrill tone, too. Stary eyes, speaking in tongues. Thinking about it all those years later it still
is hard to believe how those nice and ambitious people are turned into mere puppets on a string.

Go Japan go!

Elvis

January 20, 2007, 10:20:04 AM
Reply #10

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile

January 20, 2007, 12:47:28 PM
Reply #11

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »
http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/396489

Here's the text of that, it's pretty brief:
    CRIME
    Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba
    Friday, January 19, 2007 at 15:36 EST

CHIBA — Chiba police raided Setsuri cult facilities for the second day Friday, searching the home of the former president of a dissolved printing firm in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, on suspicion of abetting an immigrations law violation.

Friday's move follows the raids Thursday on a total of eight locations, including the cult's facilities in the city of Chiba, Chiba Prefecture, on suspicion that a senior cult member — a South Korean woman —has illegally obtained her residency status in Japan for missionary work. Setsuri, or Providence, was established in South Korea and has been active in Japan since around 1987. Its founder, Jung Myung Seok, 61, is alleged to have sexually assaulted several female members.

January 20, 2007, 02:40:30 PM
Reply #12

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Jan 2007: Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba (Japan)
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070120a2.html

CHIBA (Kyodo) Police are investigating the Setsuri cult and searched the Yokohama home of the former president of a defunct printing firm Thursday and Friday on suspicion of abetting immigration law violations.

Chiba Prefectural Police searched eight locations, including the cult's facilities in the city of Chiba on suspicion that a senior cultist -- a South Korean woman -- illegally obtained her residency status in Japan for missionary work.

Setsuri (Providence) was established in South Korea and has been active in Japan since around 1987. Its founder, Jung Myung Seok, 61, is alleged to have sexually assaulted several female members.

There are reportedly more than 2,000 followers of the cult in Japan. South Korea, where the cult is known as JMS, has put Jung on an international wanted list on charges of raping female followers.

Police plan to use the information obtained in the searches for a wider probe into the cult's shady operations in Japan, investigation sources said.

The 44-year-old South Korean woman, whose name was not provided, is believed to be a close aide to the founder and is suspected of sending the abused women to his hideouts.

The woman first came to Japan in 1988 and studied at Chiba University for several years beginning in 1990, allegedly recruiting students at the school for the cult, police said.

She has frequently traveled between Japan and South Korea since the 1990s but has not entered Japan since she departed for South Korea last July -- and there is unconfirmed information that she may be hiding in Taiwan, the sources said.

The police probe into the cult has been hampered because its senior members have left Japan. The whereabouts of Jung, who used to frequently visit Japan until a few years ago, is unknown, although an earlier report indicated he was hiding in China.

Police believe one of the facilities searched had been used as a base for Jung when he visited Japan. Investigators suspect female Japanese followers were sent to a room in the facility and sexually abused by the founder.

The 73-year-old former president is alleged to have conspired with a 55-year-old company president in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, in having false documents filed with authorities in March 2000 to make it look like the woman would engage in planning work at his company, when in fact she was serving as a missionary for the cult, investigators said, without identifying the two presidents or their firms.

Lawyers working against the cult filed criminal complaints with authorities last August against the South Korean woman for allegedly violating immigration laws and against the two company executives for allegedly abetting her crime.

The lawyers say the printing company, also in Yokohama, had business dealings with a printing and mail-order company run by the president who lived in Kanazawa.

The Yokohama company was dissolved last March shortly after the lawyers asked the other firm in writing to explain its relationship with the cult, according to the lawyers. "We suspect evidence was destroyed" in the move, one of the lawyers said.

The printing and mail-order company, located in Hakusan, Ishikawa Prefecture, is listed on the second section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. It signed an official partnership with the Japanese Olympic Committee in February 2003.

January 21, 2007, 02:33:42 PM
Reply #13

Offline rb

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:33:42 PM »
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070118/kyodo/d8mnobi80.html

Police raid Setsuri cult facilities in Chiba
(Kyodo) _ Chiba police raided facilities connected to the Setsuri cult in the city of Chiba on Thursday evening on suspicion that its senior member, a South Korean woman, has illegally obtained her resident status in Japan for missionary work, investigative sources said.

The 44-year-old woman is suspected of having violated the immigration law.

It is believed that Setsuri, or Providence, was established in South Korea around 1980 and became active in Japan around 1987.

There are reportedly more than 2,000 followers of the cult in Japan.

January 21, 2007, 06:52:08 PM
Reply #14

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »
Thanks for he news clip file rb

(Update: That video is no longer available. I think I have a copy on file...)

And just a thank you again, I really am amazed at how much time and energy you are putting into all this, and it's not just the time and effort, it's the impact you are having in JMS worldwide.  When I said a while ago you deserved a medal, I think you thought I was being sarcastic, but not at all, not at all.

I'll pass on all these articles, as well as the earlier ones from Taiwan you found, to Rick Ross and Steven Hassan, and they should add even more info to their growing pages on jms.