Advanced Search

Author Topic: Spilinter Groups  (Read 864 times)

January 05, 2018, 09:40:45 PM
Read 864 times

Offline Katie

• View Profile
Spilinter Groups
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
Hello. According to this Japan Times article: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/20/national/crime-legal/public-security-intelligence-agency-seeks-surveillance-extension-aum-linked-groups/#.Wk6rIlSFhD8 there are two splinter groups from Aleph --  Hikari no Wa (translated as Circle of Light) and Yamada-ra no Shudan (which spilt from Aleph in 2015)

The article states that Aleph has about 1, 900 members (1, 500 in Japan, 400 in Russia), that Hikari no Wa has about 210 members (150 in Japan, 60 in Russia) and that Yamada-ra no Shudan has about 30 members.

January 05, 2018, 10:50:13 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Spilinter Groups
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:13 PM »
Thanks for that Katie. I'd been meaning to get up to speed on Aum and its latest incarnations. I met a former member at a conference, and it just astounding the contrast bewteen the reputation of the cult and the guy I met - who just seemed to be super nice. He knew the group was dodgy going in. This was well before the subway gas attack. He got involved as a way to save his marriage after his wife joined, so he went in knowing something wasn't right. But he became a true believer due to the power of the group's indoctrination program that included putting drugs into the food members ate. He has no idea he was consuming hallucinagetics. Their effects were attributed to the leader.