Advanced Search

Author Topic: Exploring JMS Propaganda: "Cheon Bo" and the Art of JMS  (Read 126 times)

January 04, 2018, 01:19:09 PM
Read 126 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Exploring JMS Propaganda: "Cheon Bo" and the Art of JMS
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
There has been a gradual increase in the amount of English language propaganda that JMS has put online over the last year or so. Here's something approaching a list.

The propaganda seems meant for internal consumption or for consumption by those who have absolutely no idea who Jeong is - new recruits perhaps may find the material impressive and believable for example, but it isn't exactly material that stands up well to outside scrutiny.

Two different pressuring factors appear to be behind such material 1) the publication of more critical media reports in English and 2) the upcoming release of Jeong from jail as his 10-year sentence for raping female members while on the run from earlier allegations draws to a close in February 2018 - next month at the time of writing.

I've been keeping my eye on JMS sites and noting curious nuggets worthy of exploration and documentation. There is a lot of material, so the task is a daunting one. Considering that large tasks are completed in small steps, I think it's time to make a start with a first small step.

First up, an interesting reference to interviews that Jeong gave to four news crews following a 2011 Argentinian art exhibition:

At “ARTECLASICA”, a famous art exhibition held in Buenos Aires the capital of Argentina on July 2011, Pastor Jung Myung Seok’s art piece “Destiny” was awarded ‘Best Art Work. He was also chosen by the organizing committee from among 3000 other artists from around the World as the ‘Representative Artist’ of the exhibition. His artworks were also the only ones to be invited to the event from the whole of Korea and were on display for 10 days over the span of the ARTECLASICA exhibition.

Reporters from 4 television news stations, including Argentina’s “Canal A”, came to interview Pastor Jung about his life and artwork, and the interview was aired nation-wide. Additionally, Pastor Jung’s artworks also received overwhelming publicity through newspapers, magazines, and other media.

It is not altogether surprising that Jeong's artwork was exhibited at an exhibit. For similiar activity on a much grander scale, note the successes of fellow Korean cult leader Yoo Byeong-eun. Under the guise of his alias AHAE, he exhibited at The Louvre and got the London Symphony Orchestra to record a symphony written in his honor by composer Michael Nyman just months before he became Korea's most wanted following the sinking of his ferry, The Sewol.

So I'm prepared to accept that an exhibition took place in Argentina that showed Jeong's art. Jeong does after all have a sizable PR/propaganda team. I do, however, have my doubts that Jeong's status as a convicted rapist serving a 10-year sentence in Daejon jail was used to promote the event. I imagine that is why the pen name "Cheon Bo" - mentioned earlier in the article - was used. Artistic Korean cult leaders need their pen names.

I don't particularly doubt that the Argentinian exhibit did take place, but I find his winning prizes a little dubious. The "world" he is renowned in seems to be the small world of his cult and not the actual much larger world that exists on the surface of planet Earth. Related video which looks like it was filmed at the cult's HQ in South Korea where they have a museum dedicated to Jeong's art.

I recall exploring mention of the Argentinian exhibition and the Cheon Bo pen name a few months ago. There is more about "Cheon Bo" on this other JMS site. Googling "Cheon Bo Korean Artist" doesn't result in much besides JMS propaganda sites, and you have to scroll for those. Curiously, those two JMS sites use different spellings: "Cheon Bo" and "Choen Bo". If you're going to use a fake name, at least agree on its spelling.

He has created art - if that's the write term though, and I have no reason to believe that art attributed to him has been created by others. Here's an example from a Japanese news report:

What I find more interesting and rather hard to believe is the part about four different news crews - at least one Argentinian - visiting Jeong in jail. Of course, there is no mention of jail, but is where he has been since 2008. I doubt he was let out to fly to Argentina for a couple of days.

So four news crews - at least one Argentinian - flew to Korea and interviewed Jeong in jail about an art exhibition? Really? I just can't see that happening. I would be happy to be proved wrong though. Please send me links to those news reports if you have them. I personally would love to see those interviews.

January 05, 2018, 09:17:18 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Exploring JMS Propaganda: "Cheon Bo" and the Art of JMS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
A former found this video of the exhibition. The 9-minute video features 10 seconds of JMS material from 3:00 to 3:10:

Screenshot. At least one piece of art was displayed: