Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sleep Deprivation in General & in JMS & Other Cults  (Read 956 times)

August 29, 2017, 05:41:50 AM
Read 956 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Sleep Deprivation in General & in JMS & Other Cults
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:41:50 AM »
Sleep Deprivation in General and in Cults

Sleep is an interesting topic in itself - why we need it, what happens in the brain when we do and don't sleep, dreams, etc and of course it is the lack of sleeo that serves cults so well. Here are a few links on the subject. I'll add a few more eventually.

Feb. 13, 2014: 10 Things to Hate About Sleep Loss (WebMD)

Nov. 18, 2014: What Sleep Deprivation Does to Your Brian in One Stunning Graphic (MIC)

June 9, 2015: Lack of Sleep: Can It Make You Sick? (Mayo Clinic)

Sept. 25, 2015:
Why Lack of Sleep Makes Us Emotionally Distracted by Everything (New Scientist)

Oct. 23, 2015: Here Are 5 Infamous Religious Cults That Used Sleep Deprivation to Control Their Followers (AlterNet)

Oct. 27, 2015: The Church of Sleep Deprivation: How Scientology Keeps Its Workers Compliant & Childless (Raw Story)

May 26, 2017: The Brain Literally Starts Eating Itself When It Doesn't Get Enough Sleep (Science Alert)

June 5, 2017: The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Your Body (Healthline)

August 29, 2017, 11:40:49 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Sleep Deprivation in General & in JMS & Other Cults
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
Sleep Deprivation in JMS

I'll add to this post over time with numerous examples of sleep deprivation in JMS.

First, a couple of my own experiences:

1) My flatmate and fellow teacher was a member for some 6 months. At the height of her indotrcination, thankfull she left soon after, she went to dawn service at Wolmyong Dong five days in a row from Monday to Friday. That involved getting up at around 3 am. She was quite proud of herself, and I remember noticing that her pride stood in stark contrast to her deteriorating job performance. We were teaching kids as young as 4 at the time, and well, you need patience to work with kids.

2) Soon after, I found myself at Wolmyong Dong for the first time. Instead of an afternoon of hiking, I was stuck at an all night JMS festival that lasted until 6 am the following morning. I recall that members at around 6 am spoke of further events later that same morning.

Feb. 26, 2013: Wolmyeongdong Church is setting 21 days predawn Condition Prayer
Wolmyeongdong church is seting 21 days condition prayer from 2/25 to 3/17. march 17, the conclusion of the campaign is They wake up at the predawn hours when The Holy Son Lord is working and work really hard to receive the Holy Son Lord who is our bridegroom with love.

The "Holy Son Lord" is of course the leader, Jeong Myeong-seok. Campaigns like the above 21-day campaign are quite common in Providence. North Korea does the same.

January, 2016: Testimony From a Former Member Aged 19
Being a member of JMS/providence meant that pre-dawn prayer was crucial to the group. Initially we are told that 4’oclock prayer time is appropriate. We then came to learn that if one did not attend predawn prayer then their spirit is sexually abused by satan. Additionally, if one wakes up at an earlier pre-dawn time then their spirit is at a higher level. The golden time to pray was 1am. I proceeded to pray at 1am for an hour and via internet I watched the broadcasted, live service from our church at approximately 2am. After the service I would pray for a few hours and then read a few hours of the group’s literature.

During the day I would pray for hours and would have very little time to do any university work. By that time I cut off all my old friends and barely spoke a word to my family. The peak of my craziness was when I was praying 10 hrs a day with only 1hr sleep. Despite being a science student I convinced myself it was fine and that sleeping and studying was a luxury I did not deserve.

Next up, this graphic from a JMS site clearly explains the pre-dawn (middle of the night) rituals: