Advanced Search

Author Topic: Can You Tell Me How To Get ... How To Get To Gangnam Street?  (Read 152 times)

August 07, 2017, 07:55:08 PM
Read 152 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Can You Tell Me How To Get ... How To Get To Gangnam Street?
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:08 PM »
Daesun Jinrihoe has been mentioned quite often in discussions on Facebook, Reddit, and Youtube stemming from accounts by foreigners in Korea of being approached on the street and asked to attend a ceremony which invariably ends with a request for money and/or a further commitment. Last year, there were numerous accounts of foreigners being approached by Koreans who initially asked directions to some well-known landmark or area. They all soon forget that they were going to that well-known landmark and suddenly invited the foreigners to a traditional ceremony.

The similarity of the accounts suggested one group was behind this campaign. I had no idea which, but one name kept popping up, the previously mentioned: Daesun Jinrihoe. There is more info here on the history of the group. This looks better: Taesunchillihoe: Factors in the Rapid Rise of a Korean New Religion (1999)

I actually attended a conference on New Religious Movements that was hosted by Daesun Jinrihoe at their univeristy, Daejin University. I gave a presentation there about the groups my site concerns: JMS, Shinchonji, Jungshim, and Yoo Byung-eun's cult. My experience of Daesun Jinrihoe and of the members I met was wholly positive. Attendees were given a tour of one of their main temples and a little taste of the religion. While religion is not my thing, there was nothing about the event that got my cult senses tingling. The previous day had been spent on a similiar tour of The Moonies HQ, and that was nothing but bat-shit crazy from start to finish, and "bat-shit crazy" was a term used by one of the academics attending the conference as we got back on the bus.

Side note: CESNUR, the co-hosting organisation has a reputation of being particularly soft on cults, but that's a story for another day. On the whole though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the conference and met some really interesting people. One Australian professor had heard of me and thanked me for helping to expose the JMS cult. There are some stories to tell from that conference that I hope to tell one day. Nothing earth-shattering at all; just a few little anecdotes.

So when the name Daesun Jinrihoe first came up in relation to these accounts, I was honestly a little surprised in a "oh-that's-those-nice-guys-from-the-conference" kind of way. Having said that, I had heard bits and pieces before that suggested the group had a darker side.

Here then are a few of those accounts (more in the comments under each link) that have been attributed to the group. There are more on closed Facebook groups. Some of those I've saved for my own benefit, but I'll not share those as they were posted on closed pages. I might put a call out for similiar accounts. There really are quite a few of them.

August 1, 2017: A Cult Tried to Hound Me In (exchange student in Seoul) (Reddit)

June 11, 2017: Two Girls Approached Me and Asked if I was Interested in Korean Culture. (Facebook - Public Group)

May 19, 2017:

March 13, 2017: That Time I Accidentally Joined a Cult

Feb. 26, 2017:

Oct. 20, 2016: Am I Getting into a Korean Cult??? (Reddit)

Jan 28, 2013: Does Somebody Know What the Religious order Daesoon Jinrihoe is & Can Explain it to me? (Reddit)

August 08, 2017, 08:21:08 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: The Street Approach....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
Probably the largest temple in Seoul, but no tourists are allowed inside. That's because it was built by Daesun Jinrihoe (대순진리회) which is actually kind of a cult or 'new religious movement' founded in Korea in 1969 by Park Han-gyeong. The main hall can be seen from a very far way away. - Timothy Holm on Instagram (photo in link)