Advanced Search

Author Topic: Jeong Expected to Finish Serving his 10-Year Sentence on Feb. 23, 2018  (Read 473 times)

April 07, 2017, 12:51:42 PM
Read 473 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
It's possible that Jeong Myeong-seok is only weeks away from release. I've asked a few people who I expected to know, but I keep getting a range of dates rather than a specific date. The issue is complicated by the fact Jeong was arrested in China and spent 10 months in a Chinese jail before being deported back to Korea for trial. Does that time served in China count towards his sentence? If so, he is weeks from release. A lawyer I asked thinks yes. Some others, who I felt sure would know the exact date, were not so sure. I found that uncertainty surprising and more than a little perplexing. The cult has certainly been ramping up the propaganda of late. Could they be getting ready for Jeong's imminent release? Or just annoyed that their secretive cult is no longer such a secret? Probably both, but an imminent release would surely keep them up late at night, not that members get much sleep anyway.

Here are a few key dates:

May 1, 2007: Arrested in China.
Feb. 20, 2008: Extradited to Korea
August 12, 2008: Found guilty and sentenced to 6 years
Feb. 10, 2009: Appeal court added 4 years to the sentence
April 23, 2009: Supreme Court upheld 10-year sentence

I wrote the above yesterday morning, and then last night, thanks to the power of the internet and some helpful friends, I was directed to this Korean article about this very topic. The article states with confidence but not certainty a release date of February 23, 2018. That's ten years and a few days after his extradition home.

The Feb. date coincides with the Winter Olympics which run from February 9 to 25. That reminds me of the shenanigans the cult pulled during and after the 2002 Soccer World Cup. My mind boggles at what they must be cooking up for the Olympics and Jeong's release. They probably see that coincidence as some kind of sign from God. On the other hand, there will be lots of visiting reporters in Korea and overall increased media interest. I speak from experience when I say JMS does not like media interest it cannot control. No cult does, but JMS is particularly sensitive partly because for so long they were able to fly under the radar.

June 13, 2002: Smiling A Serious Business in South Korea (Taipei Times)
Aug. 5. 2002: Soccer Event to Lead Highlight Reel of Global Peace Meeting in Daejeon (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Both reporters failed to connect the cult's front groups to the cult. The first I can understand as the writer was in Korea covering The World Cup (but interestingly enough, her paper The Taipei Times reported on the sexual abuse allegations seven months earlier). The failure in the Korean JoongAng Daily is a surprise, but it does demonstrates the value of such front groups and explains why the Global Association of Culture and Peace (GACP) front was abandoned once its connections to the cult were harder to conceal following widespread Japanese media interest in 2006 and the name appearing on Rick Ross's cult awareness site. In 2002, the cult held an annual GACP event at the University of British Columbia. I doubt they could have done that had there been more awareness back then.

April 12, 2017, 08:03:55 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Feb. 13. 2017: When Will Religious Leader Jung Myung-seok, Who Sexually Assaulted* Female Believers, Be Released? (KPortal News)

English Translation:
Former JMS vice-chairman and pastor Kim Gyeong-cheon: “Believers are waiting until the day the Lord returns”

When will Jung Myung-seok (AKA JMS), founder of Providence (CGM), who is currently serving a 10-year prison sentence for sexual assault of female believers, be released? It has been almost 10 years since Jung was imprisoned, and interest in his release date is growing.

The first theory proposes a date of May 1, 2017. This release date was based on the date Jung was arrested by Chinese public security forces. Jung faced criticism due to sexual abuse reported in an SBS report on its program The Unanswered on March 20, 1999 entitled, “Door to Redemption or Trap of Depravity”, and left Korea after authorities began an internal investigation based on this program. He lived on the run in Hong Kong and China (with CGM arguing that he was involved in normal overseas activities) until he was arrested in Beijing on May 1, 2007 by public security forces. Based on this timeline, his release date is May 1, 2017.

The next theory sets February 23, 2018 as the date. Jung was transferred from China to Korea and then imprisoned for sexual assault against female followers on February 23, 2008. This schedule would put his release date at February 23, 2018 – at the end of February of next year rather than this year.

A reporter (Christian Portal News, www.kportalnews.co.kr) reached out to CGM to check Jung’s release date, but CGM has said they cannot give any answer on the subject of Jung’s release.

The reporter called the prison to check on Jung’s release date; however, a prison spokesperson said that, “Whether or not a particular individual is imprisoned as well as the release date of imprisoned persons are protected as personal information and cannot be divulged externally.” However, this spokesperson gave the theoretical answer that, “release dates are calculated from the date of imprisonment”. Another police spokesperson in contact with the reporter answered that, “the release date is calculated based on the date of imprisonment after transfer to Korea and not on the date arrested by Chinese public security forces”. Based on these calculations, the theory that Jung’s release date is February 23, 2018 is convincing.

Meanwhile, Kim Gyeong-cheon (former JMS vice-chairman) noted that, “JMS followers are awaiting the release date of Jung Myung-seok as the ‘day the Lord comes’,” and that, “To them, the release date is a sort of Second Coming.”

* Translator's Note: The Korean word repeatedly used in this article can mean “sexual assault” or “rape”. Other articles mention both rape and molestation, so I’ve used sexual assault as a general term.

April 12, 2017, 08:22:26 AM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
The article ends with a timeline of key events. I've added links from the timeline I have on my site here.

Major News about Leader Jung Myung-Seok:

March 20, 1999: SBS broadcasts concerns about a JMS sex scandal in an episode of The Unanswered entitled “Door to Redemption or Trap of Depravity”. Jung Myung-seok later fled the country.

July 9, 2003: Jung discovered in Clearwater Bay, Hong Kong; imprisoned for illegal stay, but released on bail. (He subsequently fled again - That's mentioned in this article)

October, 2003: JMS attack on anti-JMS members, Father Kim Do-Hyon, leader of the anti-JMS movement, assaulted by unidentified assailant, anti-JMS member Kim Hyeong-jin beaten.

April 18, 2006: 4 women sexually assaulted by Jung Myung-seok, as well as Exodus, responsible for the anti-JMS movement, hold press interviews and demand judicial action against Jung.

July 28, 2006: Japanese Asahi Shinbun speculates on sexual assault of female Japanese believers by Jung Myung-seok.

May 1, 2007: Jung Myung-seok arrested by authorities in Beijing, China.

January 11, 2008: Supreme Court makes a final ruling ordering compensation of 60 million won to female victims of molestation and sexual assault by Jung Myung-seok in their lawsuit requesting compensation for damages. (November, 2008 article - related?)

February 20, 2008: Jung Myung-seok transferred to Korea (Imprisoned Feb. 23)

August 12, 2008: Seoul District Court sentences Jung Myung-seok to 6 years in prison on charges of rape of female followers.

2008: JMS ruled “anti-Christian” at 93rd Assembly of Presbyterian Church in Korea
October, 2008: Samsung special prosecutor Jo Jun-ung joins the JMS defense counsel

January 12, 2009: Counterargument that Jung is not taught to be the “Second Coming” or “Messiah” but only as proof of Jesus in Seoul High Court trial.

February 10, 2009: Seoul High Court sentences Jung Myung-seok to 10 years in prison.

April 23, 2009: Supreme Court makes final ruling sentencing Jung to 10 years in prison.   

March 28, 2012: JMS Damage Countermeasures Association (Jeong Dae-hyeop, chairman Kim Jin-ho) and Korean Christian Cult Counseling Association  (led by Pastor Jin Yong-sik) expose problems including sexual abuse by Providence (AKA JMS) leader Jung Myung-seok, military field-grade officers coming to JMS’ side, and Jung’s orders to commit acts of terror.

July 10, 2013: Jung Myung-seok, while in prison, publishes Woman of Poetry and Conversations through Poetry.

April 9, 2014: Australian SBS TV broadcasts critical report entitled “Inside Providence: The Secretive Korean Church Led by a Convicted Rapist”.

May 20, 2016: British publication The Daily Mail reports that the Korean cult JMS brought young women from Australia to meet JMS leader Jung Myung-seok.