Advanced Search

Author Topic: Violence Against Women in Korea  (Read 2952 times)

June 26, 2016, 12:37:01 PM
Read 2952 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Violence Against Women in Korea
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »
The topic of violence against women in Korea has been in the media a lot of late due unfortunately to a spate of such crimes. It is of course a topic that relates directly to the JMS cult. With Jeong's release from jail expected next year, the extra attention given to the issue comes at an interesting time. It's quite inconceivable then that the release from jail of an unrepentant serial rapist will go unnoticed and unreported on in the media. Given the cult's penchant for secrecy and staying under the radar, I have a feeling the release from jail of their God may not be the party they're hoping it will be.

Like this thread here which contains a collection of articles that explore the issue of how Korean sex offenders are monitored after release from jail, I would like to offer a similar collections of articles and opinion pieces. I have been saving links for the past couple of months and I also have a small collection of links to older related articles. And in the process of posting these, I've come across more than a few more.

May 1: Nike Slaps Ban on Gyeonggi Council Members (The Korea Times)

July 6: Violence Against Women (Jason Lim for The Korea Times)
There are several messages that this judgment sends to victims of domestic violence, all of them devastating: One, domestic violence is a shameful topic that should be kept in the home; two, even if you are beaten, shut up and suffer in silence; three, it's not dignified to reveal that you are a victim of domestic violence; four, you are partly to blame in any case.

October 8: Teachers Get Light Punishment Over Sexual Violence (The Korea Times)

June 20: Sexual Assault in Seoul on Rapid Rise (The 3 Wise Monkeys)

May 5: Is Domestic Violence Taken Seriously in Korea? (Kim Hee-sun for The Korea Herald)

January 30: Koreans Drive Demand for Child Prostitution in Southeast Asia (The Korea Times)

April 23: Raped & Alone In A Foreign Land (The Korea Herald)
In 2011, 22,034 rapes were reported, according to the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office. Of those, 18,591 cases resulted in arrests with a total of 18,880 offenders being convicted. However, only 12 percent of those found guilty, or 2,289, were sentenced to jail time.

It is impossible to know the true number of victims in Korea, let alone the number of foreign victims, as many who are attacked ― Korean or foreign ― do not report the crime. Based on a 2010 survey by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, it is believed that the sexual crime reporting rate in Korea is about 10 percent.
October 25: SK Struggles to Confront Stigma of Sexual Assaults (Jason Strother for The Wall St. Journal)

April 4: Father Kills Suspect in Daughter’s Rape (Korea Bang)

April 24: Redefining Rape in SK (Daniel Fielder for The Korea Herald)

January 22: Fighting Violence Against Women: Making Seoul a Safer City For Women Project (Seoul Station)

February 20: Singer & Producer Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for Raping a Teenager (All K-Pop)

March 5: Korea Educates Families of Juvenile Sex Offenders (The Korea Herald)

August 7: Seoul Toughens on School Sex Violence (The Korea Herald)

August 9: Sex Crimes at Schools Left Unchecked (The Korea Herald)

August 12: Rapist Flees Hospital and Attacks One More Victim (Korea JoongAng Daily)

October 5: High Schooler Arrested Over Alleged Rape of Elementary School Student (The Korea Times)

October 11: The Source of Sexism in SK (Exepose)

October 30: Sexism in SK is More Serious Than You Might Think (The Typewriter)

December 9: Soldier Awarded for Capturing Sex Offender (The Korea Times)

February 29: Zolpidem Most Frequently Used Date Rape Drug in Korea (The Korea Herald)

March 30: Korea’s Justice System Fails Foreign Victims of Rape (The Korea Herald)

April 1: Korean Police Rebut Australian Woman's Claims About Rape Case (All K-Pop News)

April 3: Incest Victims Fight Back Against Abusers in SK (The Korea Herald)

April 4: S. Korea's Sexual Assault Aftercare has Improved But Challenges Remain (Yonhap News)

April 5: Police's Open Letter to Rape Victim Sparks Fury (The Korea Herald)
April 5: Public Battle Over SK Rape Claim (BBC)

April 7: Apologize For Posting Alleged Rape Victim's Records (Yonhap News)

April 17: Korean Police Deny Wrongdoing In Australian Airdre Mattner’s Rape Investigation (Korea FM Podcast with Chance Dorland)

April 20: Teenagers Gang-Rape Middle School Girl (The Korea Herald)
April 20: 6 South Korean Middle School teens Arrested for Gang Rape of Elementary Student (Koogle)

April 22: Professor Indicted Over Alleged Attempted Rape (The Korea Times)

April 24: Taxi Driver Gets 3 Years for Sexually Assaulting Mentally Disabled Passenger (The Korea Herald)

May 3: Taxi Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Raping Thai Woman (The Korea Times)
"The justice recognized the sentence of the first trial was made in light of the fact that the victim was deeply traumatized and sexually ashamed by the incident," the judge in the second trial said. "The second trial, however, changed the sentence by suspending it for four years on the basis that the victim had agreed with the criminal not to punish him."
May 6: Mother Convicted of Assisting Rape of Daughter (Korea Times)

May 9: Sex Crime & The South Korean Media (The Korea Herald)

May 20: Murder Becomes Symbol of Korean Misogyny (Korea JoongAng Daily)
May 20: Gangnam Murderer Says He Killed Because Women Have Always Ignored Him (The Hankyoreh)

May 21: Let's Talk About the Toxic Way South Korea Is Handling its Rape Problem (Royce Kurmelovs for Vice)
May 21: Don’t Claim That The Gangnam Murder Was Somehow Random (Moon Kang Hyung-joon for The Hankyoreh)
Nearly every one of the female students in their twenties and thirties that I’ve met in the classroom, no matter their frame, has experienced violence at some point for being a woman. It ranges from abusive behavior on buses and subways to attempted rapes in alleyways, from drunken fisticuffs to vengeance from spurned boyfriends. If they survived the day unscathed, it was simply because luck was on their side.
May 23: Korean Women Speak Out On Gender Violence (The Korea Herald)
May 23: Members of Right-Wing Groups Trying to Scuttle Commemoration of Murder Victim (The Hankyoreh)
May 23: I Am Part of the Problem & I Want to Talk About It (The Korean Foreigner)
May 23: Gangnam Murder Spurs Calls for Hate Crime Law (The Korea Herald)
May 23: Raped Australian Says South Korea Ignores Rape of Foreign Women (International Business Times)

May 24: Gender War Intensifies Amid Mourning for Murder Victim (The Korea Herald)

May 25: Date Rape Prevalent Among College Students (The Korea Herald)
Not Random At All (Korea JoongAng Daily)

May 27: Date Rapist Often Repeat Offenders (The Chosun Ilbo)
May 27: Country Where Rape of Foreign Women is Swept Under Carpet (News Ltd)

May 31: Pastor Gets 3 Years For Raping Churchgoer (The Korea Herald)

June 29, 2016, 03:59:02 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Violence Against Women in Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
2016 Continued
June 1: Swedish Tourist Gang Raped in Seoul (The Korea Times)
June 1: Women's Groups Slam Crime Prevention Plan (The Korea Herald)
June 1: Comedian Denies Attempted Rape (The Korea Times)

June 2: Rosie Batty Addresses South Korean Women Fighting Back Against Violence (Joseph Kim for ABC Australia)

June 6: Renata Salecl: Gangnam Murder Could be an Opportunity for South Korean Society (The Hankyoreh)
It’s possible that each of these South Korean women has regularly suffered pressure, intimidation, humiliation or physical assault on the job or in power relationships at home. The murder may have been a trigger, just as a fatal police shooting of a young black man in St. Louis triggered a resistance campaign against racism. If I were a man, I think I would be a little shocked to hear what women are saying. Of course, I probably wouldn’t be shocked if I were an intelligent man.
June 7: Public Outrage at Teacher’s Rape (The Korea Herald)

June 8: Court Hears Australian Rape Victim Case (The Korea Herald)

June 9: Suspects Plotted Gang Rape of Female Teacher (The Korea Herald)
June 9: Fathers Held For Allegedly Raping Children's Teacher In South Korea (NDTV)
June 9: South Korea Holds Fathers After Children's Teacher Raped (The Express Tribune)

June 11: Suspect in Custody in Connection With Murder on Hiking Trail (Yonhap News)

June 13: South Korea’s Misogyny (Se-woong Koo for The New York Times)
June 13: Crackdown On Domestic Violence Builds (The Korea Herald)
June 13: Policeman Arrested for Rape of Fellow Officer (The Korea Herald)

June 14: K-Pop Star Park Yu-chun Embroiled in Rape Scandal (The Korea Times)

June 15: Web Platform That Advocates Hating Misogynists Mounts Lawsuit Against Facebook (The Hankyoreh)

June 16: Ilbe Members Charged for Identifying Wrong Woman as Rape Victim (The Korea Herald)

June 17: Park Yu-chun: A Sexual Predator Disguised as K-Pop Star? (The Korea Times)

June 20: Four Women File Rape Claims Against K-Pop star Park Yoo-chun (Star2)

June 22: Korea Rolls Out Measures to Prevent Another Gangnam Murder (The Korea Times)

June 23: Cambodian Government Official Assaulted Interpreter in Korea (Cambodia Daily)

June 24: Education Official Out After Arrest in South Korea (Phnompenh Post)

June 25: Park Myung Soo Correlates Violent Assaults Against Women with Revealing Outfits (Asian Junkie)
June 25: Murder Suspect Lied, Stalked Total Stranger (Korean JoongAng Daily)
June 25: Cambodian Ministry Hits Back Over Korea Assault Case (Cambodia Daily)
In the face of mounting criticism, the Ministry of Education on Friday released a second statement defending its handling of a senior official’s arrest for molesting his interpreter in South Korea last month, and appeared to compare the sexual assault case to deputy opposition leader Kem Sokha’s alleged affair with a hairdresser.
June 27: Cambodian Ruling Party Takes Aim at Sokha Again (Khmer Times)
Elsewhere, the Education Ministry issued a statement on Friday celebrating its demotion of Kry Seang Long, the head of the Ministry of Education’s Professional Development Department, who sexually assaulted a South Korean interpreter assigned to him during an official three-day visit to South Korea last month.
June 27: High School Students Gang Rape Inebriated Peer
June 27: Another Sex (Sexual Assault) Scandal Slams K-Pop Scene (The Korea Herald)
June 27: Webtoon Blows The Whistle on the Suffering of S. Korea’s Academic Slaves (Hankyoreh)
The third installment, titled “Can I go on?” focuses on the issue of male professors sexually harassing female students. In it, a professor tells his student, “You‘re new here. I suppose there are a lot of things you don’t know. I can teach you a thing or two. If you weren‘t my student, I might try something. . . .”
In real life, the professor it was based on also asked the student if she wanted to “go to a motel for some instruction.”
“A lot of the wording for the sexual harassing remarks by professors is exactly as it happened. We heard the stories from students and said to each other, ’They really do hear this kind of stuff every day,‘” Yeom recalled.
June 28: TV Show Claims Widen Park Yu-chun Sex Scandal (The Korea Times)
June 28: Police Officers Caught Having 'Affairs' with Students Under Their Aegis (The Korea Times)
In Jeong's case, the victim attempted suicide after the incident. She later told a worker at a regional welfare facility, who then called the police station to verify it on May 9. Jeong then resigned the next day.
June 28: Twenty-Two Men Arrested 5 Years After Gang Rape (The Korea Herald)

June 29: Loss of Diplomat's Immunity Rare (Otago Daily Times)
Police were called to a bar in Seoul's Itaewon district on May 24 following a complaint by a female staff member about the conduct of two New Zealand businessmen. Police investigated but no charges were laid against the men, who have since left Korea. However, a New Zealand diplomat who was with them is still under investigation.
June 29: Army Captain Suspected of Raping Middle School Girl Multiple Times (All K-Pop)
June 29: Yoo-chun's First Accuser Denies Being Paid Off & Second Accuser Describes Traumatic Experience (All K-Pop)
June 29: Police Arrest 22 Men Five Years After Alleged Gang Rape (The Korea Times)
June 29: Caregivers Charged For Abusing Disabled (The Korea Herald)
Alleged abuse charges were pressed on eight caregivers at a rehabilitation center for the disabled in Gwangju-si, Gyeonggi Province on Tuesday. According to the National Human Rights Commission of Korea, the accused are being charged for hitting and inflicting injuries as well as sexually harassing disabled students at the facility.
June 30: JYJ's Park to Appear Before Police for Questioning Over Sexual Assault Allegations (Yonhap News)

July 04, 2016, 09:58:50 PM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site

July 05, 2016, 02:50:32 PM
Reply #3

Offline emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
What the! This is too shocking! I didn't know Korea was such a dangerous place! Thanks for providing the info Peter. I'm still looking over the lessons you sent me.

July 09, 2016, 12:33:46 AM
Reply #4

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:46 AM »
What the! This is too shocking! I didn't know Korea was such a dangerous place! Thanks for providing the info Peter. I'm still looking over the lessons you sent me.

You're welcome. I just added a link to an NPR piece that is worth listening to. It's strange, I've seen these headlines over the months, but the process of gathering them together and seeing all the June articles listed (and I'm sure there are more - plus they are only English articles) really brought home the size and scope of the issue. Korea isn't unique though, perhaps equally long lists could be made from articles from other countries, but regardless of the numbers and comparisons, it is certainly an issue that is getting more coverage, and that can only be a good thing. But yeah, I can't say I wasn't shocked when I stepped back and scrolled through all the above articles after posting them.

July 10, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
Reply #5

Offline emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »

You're welcome. I just added a link to an NPR piece that is worth listening to. It's strange, I've seen these headlines over the months, but the process of gathering them together and seeing all the June articles listed (and I'm sure there are more - plus they are only English articles) really brought home the size and scope of the issue. Korea isn't unique though, perhaps equally long lists could be made from articles from other countries, but regardless of the numbers and comparisons, it is certainly an issue that is getting more coverage, and that can only be a good thing. But yeah, I can't say I wasn't shocked when I stepped back and scrolled through all the above articles after posting them.

Yeah, you're right. Did you hear about how the Brock Turner case turned out last month? It's so infuriating how lightly people take rape. I'm glad you are trying to spread the awareness.

March 05, 2017, 12:12:31 PM
Reply #6

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
Did you hear about how the Brock Turner case turned out last month? It's so infuriating how lightly people take rape. I'm glad you are trying to spread the awareness.

Yeah, that was astounding! Thank you.. Sorry for the late reply. I thought I replied soon after your posted, but just realized I hadn't. Here are some more articles...

2016 Continued

Nov. 22: Open Letter to Student Who Harassed Me (Korea Expose)

Nov. 25: SNU Professor Writes Open Letter to Student Who Accosted Her
(Korea JoongAng Daily)

Dec. 16: SK Diplomat in Latin America Embroiled in Sexual Harassment Scandal (The Korea Times)

Dec. 19: Korean Diplomat Caught Harassing Chilean Girl on Hidden Camera (The Korea Times)

Dec. 20: SK Diplomat Repatriated After Chile Sexual Harassment Scandal (UPI)

Dec. 23: Mid East-Based Korean Envoy Punished for Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)

Dec. 27: SK Diplomat Also Raped 12-year-old Girl in Chile (The Korea Times)
Diplomat Sacked for Raping Minor in Chile (The Korea Times)

Dec. 28: Standing Up Against Misogyny in the Arts: Sexual Abuse Cases Brought to Light (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Jan. 1: Another Foreign Ministry Official Indicted for Sex-Related Crime (The Korea Times)

Jan. 3: Man Gets 35-Year Jail Sentence for Killing Pregnant Girlfriend (The Korea Times)

Jan. 5: Taking to the Streets to Fight Misogyny: Organizing Online, Young Women Turn Anger into Action (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Jan. 12: Court Upholds 30-Year Jail Term for Gangnam Murderer (Yonhap News)

Jan. 23: Thousands Join Women’s March (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Feb. 16: Chinese Gets 25-Year Prison Sentence for Murdering Korean Woman in Jeju Church (The Korea Times)

Feb. 23: 105 Offenders Caught in Teenage Prostitution Bust (The Korea Times)

Feb. 27: 55% of Korean Men Link Sexual Assault with Women's Behavior (Yonhap News)

Feb. 28: Elite University Student Accused of Sexual Assault (The Korea Times)

April 21: Top University Professor Accused of Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)
Woman Convicted of Biting Off Tongue of Man Who Demanded Sex (The Korea Times)

June 11: Female Army Officer Bashed For Not Covering For Sex Offender (The Korea Herald)

June 25: Thai students Molested & Exploited During Internships in SK (The Korea Times)

June 26: Korean Police Probe Sexual Harassment Scandal Against Thai Interns (The Korea Times)

June 27: Elderly man stabs Vietnamese daughter-in-law to death (The Korea Times)

July 4: Dating Abuse on Rise in SK (The Korea Herlad)

July 14: Gyeonggi Woman Takes Own Life After Disclosing Sexual Violence (The Korea Herald)

July 16: Runaway Korean Rapist Repatriated After Raping Again in Australia (The Korea Times)

July 21: SK Dismisses Diplomat in Ethiopia Suspected of Raping Female Worker (Yonhap News)

July 23: Police to Crack Down on Dating Violence (The Korea Times)
Police Warn About sexual Crimes on Subways  (The Korea Herald)

July 26: Teachers Accused of Molesting 80 Students (The Korea Times)

November 9: Horrific Crime: South Koreans Fear Release of pedophile rapist from 2008 (The Korea Times)