Advanced Search

Author Topic: Bring My Father Home: The Hijacking of Korean Airlines YS-11  (Read 1678 times)

June 12, 2016, 10:11:46 AM
Read 1678 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
A collection of links regarding the 1969 hijacking of a Korean Airlines YS-11 plane:
Wikipedia: Korean Air Lines YS-11 Hijacking

1969:
December 11:

December 14:  N.Korea Says Pilots Hijacked Airliner (Stars and Stripes courtesy of ROKDrop)
North Korea’s official news agency said early Saturday that the Korean commercial airliner flown into North Korea Thursday was taken there by its two pilots who elected to defect. The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) identified the two pilots as Yu Byong Ha and Choe Sok Man.

A top ROK police official, however, said he believed North Korean agents were responsible for the hijacking. Two passengers on the hijacked Korean Airlines plane are now suspected by police of being communist agents.

Investigation of 44 of the 46 passengers revealed no contradictory information, police said, but facts about Han Chang Gi and Paek In Yong wee impossible to uncover.
The police investigation team at the Kangnung Friday decided to distribute 30,000 photographs of Han, the suspected mastermind of the hijacking.

The investigation of Han came after a KAL employee, a Miss Kim, said a man using the name Han Chang Gi came to the Sokcho branch office Monday morning and purchased a ticket for Wednesday’s flight to Seoul. Seokcho is about 38 miles north of Kangnung.

When Han missed Wednesday’s flight, Miss Kim tried to call him at the inn where he had said he was staying. But no one there had heard of the name. On Wednesday afternoon, however, Han came into the office and asked to change his ticket for Thursday’s flight.

Meanwhile, key government and military officials met Friday to plan moves to seek the release of the South Koreans and the aircraft. A government source said the International Red Cross and the Korean Military Armistice Commission will be asked to approach North Korea.

The International Red Cross here said it made contact with the Red Cross office in the North Friday but had received no information concerning the fate of the 46 passengers or four crew members aboard the Japanese-built YS-11 turboprop airliner.

The United States Command (UCN), however, had no comment on whether it will call a meeting of the Armistice Commission to ask for the return of the plane, its crew, and passengers.
The North Korean announcement came 30 hours after the plane had crossed the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ).
ROK Airforce Chief of Staff General Kim Sung Yong told the Korean National Assembly that air force radar had picked up the plane at 12:49 Thursday afternoon, 20 minutes after takeoff from Kangnung. ROK jet fighters were in the air by 12:54, he said, when the plane suddenly swerved north and did not respond to ground radio warnings. The plane, Kim said, had already crossed the DMZ by the time the jets were in the area.

Meanwhile, ROK officials have already put increased security measures into effect to protect future domestic flights. ROK officials said they are also considering putting armed policemen on each flight and authorizing pilots to carry pistols.

In Seoul, and possibly throughout the nation, demonstrations are being planned to protest the hijacking.
Foreign Minister Choi Kyu Hah told a National Assembly committee that the plane probably landed at Sundak, five miles north of the port city of Wonsan where the USS Pueblo was taken after its seizure Jan. 23, 1968.

The plane was carrying about 1,000 pounds of cargo, along with the passengers, but airline officials did not say whether any diplomatic pouches or other important papers were aboard.
Cho Joong Hoon, president Korean Airlines, said that just before takeoff a man dressed an army general’s uniform had argued with airline officials when he was refused VIP treatment.
Shortly after the hijacking was reported, a government spokesperson charged that North Korea was responsible and that “the incident served to disclose to the entire world that the North Korean Communists are a group of pirates who engage in barbarous acts.”

The number of passengers aboard the hijacked plane was first announced at 47 but was reduced by one when it was discovered that an American, Duane R. Kinas, failed to make the flight.

1970:

2008:
October 9: Planes With Retired Numbers (The Korea Times)

2009:
March 13: Son of NK Kidnap Victim Yearns for Father (The Dong-A Ilbo)
August 7: 141 Days of Hell, What about 40 Years? (Daily NK)

2010:
June 10: Son of NK Kidnap Victim Seeks UN`s Help (Dong-A Ilbo)
July 5: Why Did North Korea Hijack the KAL Flight in Broad Daylight? (Open radio for North Korea)
Son of Abducted Passenger Presented a Petition to the UNHRC Working Group  (Open Radio for North Korea)

2011:
March 30: NK Spurns Letter by South Korean Wanting Father's Return (The Korea Times)
September 20: Families of NK Abductees Call for Help (The Korea Times)
October 3: Can Seoul Make Play for Detainees in NK? (The Korea Times)
Family members of the abducted, including those of the 11 citizens aboard the hijacked KAL YS-11 who never returned, are urging more action from the government to retrieve them.

The North is believed to have abducted 3,835 South Korean citizens, mostly fishermen, since the fratricidal conflict ended in an armistice, with 500 remaining there. This is in addition to the 85,000 Southerners taken as prisoners during the war and not repatriated. ... The U.S. Committee for Human Rights in North Korea says Pyongyang has kidnapped over 180,000 citizens of 12 nations, including the South.
2012:
February 14: S. Korean Files Suit Against Alleged N. Korean Spy Over His Abducted Father (Yonhap News)
February 15: YS-11 Group Files Suit in Seoul (Daily NK)
June 17: Korean Airlines Flight Hijacked by North Korea (Citizens' Alliance North Korean Human Rights)

Korean Airlines Flight Hijacked by North Korea (English with French Subtitles)
2013:
September 1: Building Bridges: Is There Hope For North Korea? (David Alton)
October 15: North Korea Keeping over 500 South Koreans Prisoner - Including Plane Crew hijacked 35 Years Ago (The Telegraph)
December 30: KAL YS-11 Abductee Living Near Pyongyang (Daily NK News)

2014:
February 15: Family Members of Hijacked Plane Passenger Seek Permission to Visit NK (Hankyoreh)

2015:
February 18: The Hijacked Flight My Mother Didn’t Take
August 10: DMZ Flashpoints: The 1969 Hijacking Of Korean Airlines YS-11 (ROK Drop - contains scans of articles from 1969 and 1970)
August 13: Help Me Free My Father From North Korea (NK News)
September 18: Human Rights Council: Protect North Koreans (Human Rights Watch)

2016:

January 30:1969 Hijacking Serves as a Reminder (Timothy Fawcett via LinkedIn)
June 17: Rally to be Held at DMZ to Raise Awareness of the Abducted

June 17: Mr Hwang's Letter to the UN General Secretary (and Change.Org Petition)

June 20: A Son’s Plea from Imjingak: Please Return My Kidnapped Father (Daily NK)

June 28: From Hwang Solo to Team Hwang (Casey Lartigue Jr. for The Korea Times)

July 4: Son Crusades to Meet Father Hijacked to North (Korea JoongAng Daily)

June 18, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Bring My Father Home: The Hijacking of Korean Airlines YS-11
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »
Today, I spoke for a few minutes at the rally organised by Mr. Hwang to raise awareness of his father's plight. In sitting down to prepare the speech - after quite a few false starts - I decided to use the similiar story of Mr. Yoo to begin my speech and also throughout my speech to draw parallels to the issues at hand. I brought along my copy of Yoo's book Tears of Blood: A Korean POW's Fight for Freedom, Family and Justice.. Well, it turns out Mr Hwang's wife was involved with publishing that book and last spoke to Mr. Yoo just the day before. Here's my speech, and a video should be online soon:

While listening to Mr. Hwang tell the story of his father a few months ago, I was reminded of the plight of the first person I met who had escaped from North Korea.

That person was not a North Korean defector. He was a prisoner of war. 

On June 9, 1953, Yoo Young-Bok, a South Korean soldier, was captured by Chinese forces.

He was one of an estimated 60,000 prisoners of war that North Korea did not release following the armistice that effectively, if not technically, ended the Korean War.

On June 13, 2000 – 47 years after his capture, the hopes of Mr. Yoo and the few surviving prisoners of war were raised when South Korean president Kim Dae-jung visited North Korea to meet with Kim Jong-il at an historic summit.

Mr. Yoo and other surviving prisoners of war felt certain that their president would at least speak on their behalf and at best secure their release. 

Their hopes were dashed when no mention of them was made in joint statements issued following that “historic” summit.
The Sunshine policy did not brighten their lives.

I’d like to quote just five words from Mr. Yoo’s book Tears of Blood that describe his feelings when his 47-year long illegal detention had been yet again ignored.

The five words form a rhetorical question: “Have they really forgotten us?”

His sad and unbelievable answer to his own question was: “Yes, they have”.

Across that river in that fenced-off country, I’m sure Mr. Hwang has asked himself that same question many times over his own 47-year long illegal detention.

“Have they really forgotten us?”
We are here today to help Mr Hwang’s son say five words of his own: “I have not forgotten you”.

One hope I have for today’s event is that somehow Mr Hwang will learn that his son stood here today and said: “I have not forgotten you”.

Another hope I have is that the United Nations and the government of South Korea will be reminded of that which they have perhaps forgotten.

On July 27, 2000 – 47 years after his capture - Mr. Yoo crossed the Tumen River into China with the help of a young woman,
 “She did for me what my own country could not do – she freed me from North Korea.”

May the stories of all those illegally detained across that river in that fenced-off country - be they South Korean, North Korean, Japanese, or from other countries - end the same way.

And for those whose stories have already ended differently, and for those whose stories will end differently, may they at least not be forgotten. 

On August 30, 2000, a plane carrying Mr. Yoo landed at Gimpo Airport.

Amongst those waiting to meet him was a frail 94-year-old man in a wheel chair.

Mr. Yoo approached him and said: “Father, it’s me. I’m home” 

May Mr. Hwang’s story end the same way.

May Mr. Hwang one day stand this side of that fenced-off river and say to his son: “Son, it’s me. I’m home.”