Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park & Her Critics Take 2  (Read 3531 times)

March 18, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
Read 3531 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park & Her Critics Take 2
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
I removed the full version of this thread after one of the people named in the original title apologized for sending some of the bizarrest threats I've ever received. Sadly, I think they were a result of some serious mental health issues, which hopefully are getting some attention. I'm not entirely sure the apology was sincere, but I decided to take it as if it were, and I subsequently edited this thread to remove the name of the person who sent me said bizarre threats. I didn't want to delete the whole thing as, mental health issues aside, I find this saga incredibly interesting, and it's a larger story of course. I kept some comments by the person as they add context. Those that already know of our interactions already know who the person is, and that person had quite a reputation amongst a small cadre of North Korea watchers that I'm familiar with. Here goes - The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park & Her Critics Part 2: 

A few days before Christmas last year I checked my inbox and found a mysterious email warning me not to write the book with Yeon-mi and help “spread her lies”.

I also believed that by changing a few details about my family’s escape to China, I could continue to hide the fact that I had been trafficked. I thought that if I was truthful about everything else, then it was okay; if what I lived through was real, then the details shouldn’t matter. Mostly I was reacting, improvising like a jazz musician playing the same melody a little differently each time, unaware that there might be people out there keeping score.
Park Yeon-mi, In Order To Live

As someone interested in cults and as the recipient of some threats related to my interest in North Korean defectors, I'm mostly interested in Yeon-mi's darker critics: those that attack her and the tactics they use which involve threats, fake social media accounts, and misogynistic personal attacks. Having said that, I'm certainly up for exploring some of the controversy - I'm just not as convinced of her evilness as the NK cheer squad minority. Still, I'll post as many links as I can find so that those interested in exploring the topic can perhaps make a good start of exploring all this and form their own opinions.

I have a wee two degrees of separation connection to Yeon-mi as I volunteer with the NGO that helped her with her English a couple of years back. I have seen too many attempts by cults/abusers and their members/supporters over the years to attack people who speak out about abuses to not recognize the same tactics.

Yeon-mi Park is certainly a magnet for attention. As part of a group of recent young defectors able to tell their stories in English, she has certainly garnered the most attention. And also plenty of criticism for inconsistencies in her story. As quoted above, Maryann Volers received a mysterious email warning her not to work with Yeon-mi on her book. The person who sent that may be the person who sent me the following. How he got it into his head that I was involved with alleged plans to blackmail and threaten him with death is a complete mystery. Here are the first two emails he sent me:
... I am a master at collecting information and delivering indisputable intelligence. I can hack, track, and stack it all into nice little aggregated archives with pinpoints and pictures and codes and addresses. I'm not someone to bullshit or to duck around with. And I have a lot of fucking money and security at my disposal.

I have enough evidence to implicate the one who made the threat and the accomplice he used to assist him in doing so. All information will be forwarded to the FBI agent responsible for my security unless you give me reason not to. Yes, I have an agent assigned to me and live in a protected community because I've needed those services on so many occasions.

How did he come to think I was involved? I'm glad you asked, but to be honest, I have no idea. A man he dislikes is the co-founder of the Teach North Korean Refugees NGO I volunteer with, which is ironically an NGO he claims to support - in theory at least; I doubt he's made a donation. And I do know Craig Urquhart who is named in his email and on his blog as the source of the threats. He claims to be just as mystified as I was. Craig wrote a piece for NK News critical of the WomenCross DMZ peace march which I'm sure angered the person concerned. We all post on some of the same North Korea-related Facebook groups, and needless to say there are sometimes disagreements, but in my experience, the rudest, stupidest, and the most childish comments come from that pro-NK faction. And the same can be said of any discussions that involve members of the various cults I've explored over the years. Days after send me the above threats, he boasted of his plans to use a machine gun on his enemies. Reviewing those posts, I can see that some may think the posts were in jest. Hence, I've included another post in which he talks about his enemies which I feel was offered not offered in jest. He had earlier posted pictures of what he claimed was a book contract he had just torn up.

Park Yeon-mi, whose book In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom was recently published. I just finished reading it the night of November 9. Those bizarre threats served to really boost my reading speed.

Yeon-mi was one of the first students to study with Teach North Korean Refugees (TNKR), an NGO I volunteer with. Although I have never met her, I do feel an affinity with her because of that connection and because of the other defectors I have been fortunate enough to meet. She is also the same age as my students, so insults directed towards her didn't sit well with me. But, credit where it's due - he/she did pick up on inconsistencies amongst the various interviews Yeon-mi has given. To be honest, I fully expected those inconsistencies to be the result of Yeon-mi not being fluent in English - and I still think some were - but that can't be said of all of them. She does admit as much towards the end of her book. However, I do not think those inconsistencies justify the misogynistic insults h and others have directed at her, nor the preemptive book burning attempt via that mysterious email that Maryann Vollers received. Claims that Yeon-mi is working for the CIA and ultra-right wing Christian groups to start World War 3 are delusional. Likewise, the claim that Yeon-mi is a war criminal responsible for the suffering of the North Korean people offers further evidence of some rather abnormal though processes.

Skepticism should never be avoided, but those most publicly looking to discredit Yeon-mi certainly have their own agendas (North Korean sympathizers and/or the outright delusional). That isn't to say a skeptical approach to defector accounts automatically makes someone a sympathizer or a loon, but there are certainly sympathizers and loons out for defector blood. There were certainly some inconsistencies, some minor, some less so, in Ms. Park's public statements over the months. The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park, an article by Australian journalist Mary Ann Joley explores the inconsistencies.

From the outset, my sympathies leaned towards the following comment posted under Mary Ann's article:
Speaking as a grad student in clinical psychology, I can tell you that victims of trauma (especially those with PTSD, which is considered to be very common although rarely diagnosed for obvious reasons among political refugees) have trouble with consistencies in their stories because the trauma actually changes the way memory works in order to protect you from those sorts of memories. Your memories become jumbled, or you can't recall some information, and there's also some information that victims of trauma and abuse just aren't ready to tell, which can lead to inconsistencies in stories.
Further reading has not caused me to change my mind. That last sentence, given Ms. Park's later admission, is quite prophetic. And we have language barrier issues as well. Plus, of course, there are the elements of her story (99%) that are entirely consistent with numerous other defector stories and with what we know about the regime. And I admit that having been threatened by her most visible critic and realizing he is mentally ill have perhaps colored my view or at least made it harder/nigh impossible for me to take that particular person seriously even though I'm reminded of the old adage that a broken clock is right twice a day.

I don't know if that's my bias showing or even if bias is the right word, but after some 12 years operating this site and reading countless attack-the-messenger comments directed at former members of cults and totalitarian regimes.The first Holocaust testimonies were met with similar disdain and skepticism by some; likewise, actresses unfortunate enough to encounter Bill Cosby. The allegations against Ms. Park sounded to me like more of the same.

April 12, 2016, 09:14:28 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park & Her Critics Take 2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
Now, a look at Yeon-mi's critic(s):

October 27, 2014: Casey & Yeon-mi Puppet Show (Mike Bassett via The Korea Observer)

October 29: North Korea: Defectors & Their Skeptics (John Power for The Diplomat)

October 30: Mike’s Answers 10 questions Regarding his Article "Casey and Yeon-mi Puppet Show" (Mike Bassett via The Korea Observer)

The following question was submitted by yours truly as I was, and still am, genuinely curious. Michael's response didn't exactly answer my question. In hindsight, I know now there were inconsistencies in Mr. Park's account. It's a shame that Mike, for all his passion for the subject, was unable to articulate any of the discrepancies. It's possible he hadn't found any at that time and was going by his dislike of Yeon-mi as evidenced by the factually wrong assertion that she choose to wore a hanbok for effect when in fact the hanbok was requested by the organisers of the event. Likewise, his total lack of empathy is represented by his question "Why is she crying?" and his allegation that those tears were faked. If his intention was to win over people to his point of view, he didn't do a very good job.
Question 5. Can you clarify and provide evidence of the statement: “Since her rise to fame Yeon-mi’s messages have changed”?

Answer: When Yeon-mi hit the scene she spoke about how she played Mario Brothers, watched foreign romance and actions films, travelled the country, went swimming and hiking etc. She was a Pyongyang elite and lived like one. She’s shared photos of herself as a child wearing t-shirts that said “princess” on them and group photos of her family who were in the Korean Workers’ Party and Korean People’s Army.

I understand that her life was vastly different after her father’s arrest but that does not validate her sensational rhetoric. In her recent interviews she claimed that there’s a holocaust going on, that she saw bodies piled up everywhere, and that she had to eat insects and grass to survive.

These are obvious untruths and should not be accepted simply because “they could have happened” – according to one journalist who defended her rhetoric about Kim Jong-un machine-gunning 80 in a stadium. [On that note, a Seoul-based EFE correspondent threatened me saying that “If I am man enough, I should come to Seoul and have a face-to-face with him” before I think of further pursuing this issue. If I cannot expect integrity from journalists, how can I expect it from anybody else?]

There’s an obvious difference between when she tells the truth and when she doesn’t. It can be seen in her speech where she appears giving crocodile tears reminiscent (why was she crying?) of those North Koreans gave when Kim Jong-il died. Her tears suddenly stopped when she made her political recommendations. Her political recommendations seemed a lot less sincere than when she spoke about the jangmadangs and getting information into the country. You can see the difference in facial expression and hear it in her tone.

One reason I believe that she wore the hanbok to her summit speech is because it signals to audiences subliminally (or directly for Koreans) an image of purity, innocence, tradition, and honor. Her moniker “I followed the stars to freedom” – in the same sense gives her the appearance of being small, vulnerable, in a hopeless dark void, cold, alone, frail, helpless, innocent, and with just specks of light at the end of her tunnel. Her public appearances, in my view, were much more sincere and genuine before she met Casey and adopted a seemingly political agenda-based narrative.

November 4: A letter to Yeon-mi Park
Hello, Yeon-mi.
I wanted to reach out to you this evening to extend an olive branch…I hope you’re all right in light of everything that has gone on. It was never my intention to upset you. My arguments were purely intellectual – not personal.
I heard that your family was being harassed by journalists, and that you almost quit your job because of me. I can sympathize with your situation…I am also estranged from family. I’m being harassed by an army of people who don’t understand me, too. ...

I knew the world would hate me, I decided to challenge you academically. It was never meant to be a personal attack. I’m deeply sorry if my words have troubled you. Like you, protecting the 24 million people still inside North Korea is my only goal.
I certainly do not want to hurt you, or myself. I want to be part of your team and show you how to help the North Koreans achieve freedom and liberty from oppression… Please forgive me, understand me, and think about what I am saying.
Perhaps we can talk about it one-on-one soon over Skype. Please trust me when I say I have deep respect for you – your pain, your past, and your work. I want us to work against the regime and not each other.
If we put this misunderstanding behind us, I am certain we can build a better future for North Korea. Let’s talk sometime. I would be honored to exchange words respectfully and face-to-face.
With deepest regards,
— Mike

December 10: The Strange Tale of Yeonmi Park: A High-Profile NK Defector Has Harrowing Stories to Tell. But Are They true? (Mary Ann Joley for The Diplomat)

December 22: For one 24-hour period a Joo Park suddenly took an interest in Yeon-mi and little esle. A blog, Twitter account, and a Facebook account were all set up to disseminate what he/she claims were proof that Yeon-mi is a liar. Those accounts were active for around 24 hours. Yeonmi Park: The Defector Who Fooled the World (Joo Park's Blog) The post was uploaded to Academia.edu here to add some academic power. Joo Park, as it turns out is the name Park Yeon-mi used when she first appeared on TV. The creator of the Park Joo accounts is certainly very familiar with Ms. Park. The use of that name strikes me as quite stalkerish. It was a name designed to let Ms. Park know that the person behind the Joo Park accounts was watching her rather closely.

January 4, 2015: Yeonmi Park the Celebrity DPRK Defector Exposed!

Yeonmi Park the Celebrity DPRK Defector Exposed!

May 14: North Korea responds to Defector Park Yeon Mi:

April 12, 2016, 09:15:25 AM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: The Strange Tale of Yeon-mi Park & Her Critics Take 2
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
Now a collection of links and interviews with selected quotes which concern the mostly minor inconsistencies:

2014:
April 10: NK Defector Explains What It Was Like To Grow Up Thinking Kim Jong-il Was 'A God' (Business Insider)

April 11: NK Defector Says She Believed Kim Jong-il Was a God Who Could Read Her Mind (Independent)

April 24: Kim Jong Un Doesn’t Like Me At All Says 21-year-old Defector:

“Kim Jong Un doesn’t like me at all,” says 21-year-old defector from North Korea
May 25: Yeon-mi Park: The hopes of North Korea’s Black Market Generation (Park Yeon-mi & Casey Lartigue Jr. for The Washington Post)
I escaped from North Korea in 2007. Two years later, I arrived in Mongolia, along with my mother and five other people.
August 26: Watching Titanic Made Me Realise Something Was Wrong In My country (The Guardian)
The family still wasn’t safe there; China regards North Korean defectors as economic migrants and is known to detain and repatriate refugees if they are caught. Park and her family hid indoors for 18 months before eventually making their way to Mongolia, where they finally found help to relocate to South Korea.
September 2: Celebrity Defector (SBS Dateline)

October 10: Escape from NK: How I Escaped Horrors of Life Under Kim Jong-il (The Telegraph)
Eunmi, Yeonmi’s 16-year-old sister, fled across the border with a friend without telling them. Terrified about how she might fare on her own, Yeonmi and her mother decided to follow her over the border and bring her home. Once reunited, the family would attempt a second escape altogether.

And so, on the night of March 30 2007, Yeonmi and her mother made their way towards the border with the help of a people smuggler. Yeonmi’s father stayed behind, to minimise the risks. They crossed three mountains and finally came to a frozen river that separated the two countries. It was desperately cold, Yeonmi says, and she remembers feeling terrified that the ice beneath them would give. But they eventually made it to the other side. On dry land, they ran. ‘I ran so fast. The only thing I could think was that I could get shot. I ran and ran and ran.’

When Yeonmi stopped she found herself in the Chinese province of Jilin. Here, Yeonmi and her mother set about trying to find her sister. But she was nowhere to be found and the local people smugglers refused to help. One even threatened to turn them in to Chinese authorities unless he was allowed to have sex with Yeonmi. Yeonmi’s mother implored the man to leave her daughter alone and offered herself instead. ‘She had no choice,’ Yeonmi says. ‘Literally, in front of me, he raped her.’

A few days later Yeonmi’s father, who had become concerned about their lengthy absence, slipped across the border and managed to join them. But the family’s slide continued. Yeonmi and her parents still had not managed to track down Eunmi but they decided to remain in China rather than attempt a potentially dangerous return to North Korea. A great-aunt who lived on the Chinese side of the border found them shelter in a filthy, cobweb-filled room in the countryside outside the city of Shenyang. ‘There was no electricity. We couldn’t pay for water,’ Yeonmi said. Her parents would collect water from a dripping tap.
October 17: I Followed the Stars to Freedom (BBC World Service)

October 18: Why is the World Allowing a Holocaust to Happen Again? Brave North Korean Shares Harrowing Story of Escape (The Independent - Ireland)
When they finally reached the alleged 'safety' of China, they encountered a man who demanded to have sex with the 13-year-old girl who had "never even heard the word sex before".
Terrified, her mother offered herself in return and ordered her daughter to turn her back while she was raped.
"I will never forget his face... his eyes, I can still see them," said Yeonmi.

"My mum was crying and telling me 'just turn around, turn around' and I turned around and I was so terrified."
Life in China was worse, if possible, even than it had been in North Korea. With no money and unable to speak the language, the family was on the brink of starvation.

And though Yeonmi's father managed to join them across the border, his health had been destroyed by prison life and torture.
When he died shortly afterwards, the family were forced to bury him secretly for fear of being caught.

His death sparked the family's second flight - this time across the Gobi desert into South Korea, where Yeonmi went to school and learned for the first time that everybody is born equal.
October 19: Yeonmi Park Opens Up in Harrowing Speech About NK's Brutal Regime (Daily Mail)

October 28: Yeonmi Park on Her Escape From Brutal North Korea (BBC News)

October 29: North Korea: Defectors & Their Skeptics (John Power for The Diplomat)
She (Ms. Park) also denied being used for an ulterior agenda, calling Bassett childish and impossible to engage in productive conversation. She said he was angry with her for supporting the pending U.S. sanctions.

“Can’t you see he is trying to use me now?” she said. “Not the other people. I got lots of attention and if he criticizes me the people will maybe listen to him because he is doing nothing and nobody listens to him.” She noted the numerous reports of brutality out of North Korea and lamented that dismissing defector testimony could stop others from coming forward.

“These kinds of people really upset me because people risk their lives to come out and they try to raise awareness and they are telling their stories and are really fearful sometimes,” she said. “But these kinds of people really discourage them and…maybe…they cannot come out and tell their stories. Park, however, vowed she would not be deterred from raising awareness about North Korea.
October 30: Eating Grass & Seeing Executions: This is North Korea (BBC Radio)

October 31: How Titanic Helped This Brave Young Woman Escape NK’s Totalitarian State (The Daily Beast)
When they arrived in the Chinese province of Jilin, local authorities refused to help them find Eunmi. One demanded to have sex with Yeonmi, who was barely 14, and threatened to send her and her mother back to North Korea if she didn’t oblige. When her mother begged for mercy, she was raped instead. “She told me to turn around, but I could hear her crying. It seemed like he had done this a thousand times.”

Soon they were joined by Yeonmi’s father. The three of them lived together in this part of China for a year and a half, finding shelter in a one-room house with no electricity or running water. Yeonmi gathered clothes from the trash, while her parents collected water from a dripping tap. Her father grew weaker and finally passed away early one morning in 2008. “We couldn’t even afford to give him painkillers.”

Giving him a proper burial meant risking arrest by Chinese police, so Yeonmi and her mother bribed locals to help them dispose of his body. In the middle of the night, Yeonmi buried his remains. “I couldn’t even cry because I was afraid of being sent back to North Korea,” she says.

Life in China was not much better than life in North Korea. “We didn’t have any money and knew that we would have died there. Yeonmi and her mother were taken to a detention center in Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia, where Yeonmi was forced to remove all of her clothes every day for months. “I was a little girl and felt so ashamed. I kept thinking, Why do these people have the privilege to control me like this? I’m human too, but I wasn’t treated like one.”
November 4: Having Dinner with NK's Celebrity Defector (Vice)
A Meaningful Experience (Casey Lartigue Jr. reflecting on working with Ms. Park)

November 10: NK Defector's TEDx Youth Speech at Bath (TEDx)

November 12: How Millennials Are Shaking North Korea’s Regime (CNBC)

November 18: Defector Speaks on North Korea (The Hoya)

November 28: British Documentary to Focus on Young NK Defector (English Chosun)

December 1: Escaping from NK in Search of Freedom: Yeonmi Park (Reykjavik Boulevard)

December 8: Global Publishers Woo NK Defector (English Chosun)

December 10: The Strange Tale of Yeonmi Park: A High-Profile NK Defector Has Harrowing Stories to Tell. But Are They true? (Mary Ann Joley for The Diplomat)

December 11: Young NK Defectors Share Ordeals at State Department (Yonhap News)
NK Defectors Share Their Ordeals as Pressure Mounts (CNN)

Undated: This woman escaped from North Korea. This is what she has to say (i100 Independent) Short, but the comments are worth a browse)

2015:

January 27: Human Rights Activist Park Yeon-Mi Wants to Help NK Refugees (B.Pritchett's Blog)

January 31: NK Video Takes on Yeonmi Park's Claims (NK News)
“North Korea’s Uriminzokkiri is a garbage channel that doesn’t merit a response,” said  Lartigue, director for international relations at Freedom Factory in Seoul. “Their Western sources cited in the video will eventually see that they rushed to judgment about Yeonmi, and I hope they will be honorable enough to apologize at that time.” North Korea analyst Mike Bassett, one of those quoted in the video as criticizing Park recognized its propagandistic nature but also said it had some truths to it.

“It’s obvious that certain elements were constructed and crafted very thoughtfully, such as the presence of a healthy fat baby and plants, and her aunt; who might’ve incurred a similar psychological impact on Yeonmi Park as Shin Dong-hyuk’s father had on him,” he said to NK news.
February 3: Yeonmi Park Hits Back at North Korean Video (NK News)
Park said previously that she and her mother defected with her father, but now says her father crossed over later on. When asked about her inconsistency, she answered that she hadn’t wanted her mother to seem “odd.”

“It was a defection and also human trafficking and I wanted to hide it,” she said. “Since I was worried that my mother might be seen as odd I said that my father defected with us…But after doing lots of interviews with foreign press, I decided to be honest so I corrected that my father crossed the river after we defected.”
March 15: The Woman Who Faces the Wrath of NK (Maryann Vollers via The Guardian)
As soon as we began working together, I noticed there were some minor discrepancies in the articles written about Yeon-mi, a jumbling of dates and places and some inconsistent details about her family’s escape. Most of these issues could be explained by a language barrier – Yeon-mi was giving interviews in English before she was fully fluent. But Yeon-mi was also protecting a secret, something she had tried to bury and forget from the moment she arrived in South Korea at age 15: like tens of thousands of other refugees, Yeon-mi had been trafficked in China. In South Korea – and many other societies – admitting to such a “shameful” past would destroy her prospects for marriage and any sort of normal life.

She had hoped that by changing a few details about her escape she could avoid revealing the full story. But after she decided to plunge into human rights activism, she realised that without the whole truth, the story of her life would have no real power or meaning. She has apologised for any discrepancies in her public record, and is determined that her book be scrupulously accurate.
April 23: 21-Year-Old NK Defector: Kim Jong Un Doesn’t Like Me at All (NY Times)

July 15: Yeon-Mi Park Selected as One of BBC's Top 100 Women (News Wire)

September 4: Yeonmi Park: Interview (The Bookseller)

September 25: My North Korean Childhood (The Telegraph)

September 27: After Escaping NK, Freedom Is Seriously, Deadly Hard (NPR)

October 1: Five Surprising Facts About NK Defector Yeonmi Park (NY Times)

October 2: Yeonmi Park Tells How She Was Nearly Raped by Trafficker Who Smuggled Her Out Of NK (Daily Mail)
Yeonmi Park: A North Korean Girl’s Journey to Freedom (The Korea Society):

Yeonmi Park: A North Korean Girl’s Journey to Freedom
October 4: Yeonmi Park: I Hope My Book Will Shine a Light on the Darkest Place in the World (The Guardian)

October 5: Tonight's Ubben Lecture by Yeonmi Park: What It Means to be Free (The Depauw)
Yeonmi Park Brings Kresge Auditorium to Tears as the First Ubben Lecture Speaker of the Year (The DePauw)

October 7: This is Paradise: Author Who Escaped North Korea (Toronto Sun)
A North Korean Speaks: Yeonmi Park's Fierce Desire for Freedom (John Stossell for Fox News)
NK Defector Yeonmi Park on Her Traumatic Escape and Adjusting to a New Life (National Post)

October 8: NK Defector Breaks Down Talking About Hermit Kingdom Dictator (New York Times)

October 11: Kim Jong-un is No Joke Says NK Defector (The Guardian)

October 12: What It’s Like to Escape From North Korea (Time)
NK Defector Yeonmi Park: I Believed My Dear Leader Could Read My Mind (International Business Times)

Yeonmi Park: My escape from North Korea
October 14: North Korean Defector Trafficked, Raped At 13 Hopes Her Story Raises Awareness (Gospel Herald)
NK Defector Chronicles Escape, Struggle To Find Freedom

October 17: In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl’s Journey to Freedom by Yeonmi Park (The Times)

October 19: A Harrowing Escape From North Korea (Irish Times)

October 26: Young NK Defector Shares Story of Pain & Hope (King 5)

November 9: North Korean Defector Yeonmi Park Shares Her Harrowing Story (Huffington Post)

November 13: In Order to Live: Yeonmi Park's North Korean Defector Story: (Note to self: Transcribe from around 20:00)

November 20: NK Defector Yeonmi Park Criticises West for Laughing at ‘Funny’ Kim Jong-un: He is a Murderer (The Independent)
December 28: The 15 Books We Couldn’t Put Down This Year (The New York Times)

December 29: Book by Ubben Lecturer Yeonmi Park on NY Times Year-End List (Depauw)

Undated: BBC Radio 4 Book of the Week
Shining a Light into the Dark Corners of Life in NK (CTV News)