Advanced Search

Author Topic: Eight Reasons Why I Got Out of the Unification Church  (Read 1519 times)

September 07, 2015, 11:07:18 PM
Read 1519 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Eight Reasons Why I Got Out of the Unification Church
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
While I'm posting this in the Moonie?Unification Church sections (where it obviously belongs), I do hope people associated with JMS will read it as Todd's reasons for leaving Moon's cult (and how that cult responds to people leaving) are all applicable to JMS. Change the name of the cult and the testimony wouldn't lose much validity. That's of course not surprising since Jeong is a former Moonie and his cult nothing but a miniature if more toxic copy. One difference is Todd didn't have to deal with the white elephant in the room (more of a dinosaur) that is the imprisonment of the cult's leader/messiah. Now over to Todd:

Eight Reasons Why I Got Out of the Unification Church by Todd Harvey
I want to talk now specifically to current UC members. I understand that this will be deeply upsetting and challenging in many ways. I remember feeling that it was so inappropriate for others – “You can’t judge my faith! You don’t know what this means to me! You don’t understand what I’ve found!” I apologize up front if I have not been sensitive enough to those feelings. I hope you can put that aside, and that you will give me a few moments, and not run away from this, knowing that I am going to be critical of the movement.

I imagine that most of you who have read my story are formulating conclusions as to my “failings” as a member. When I was in the group, this was a routine process when confronted with the “defection” of a member. “This person had a “Cain/Abel problem and couldn’t unite with his central figure”. “He had a shallow understanding of the Principle”. “She was a weak member, prone to spiritual problems”. “He didn’t know God and True Parent’s heart”. With me, you may be thinking I had a “Chapter 2 problem” – that I was invaded by Satan because of “unprincipled” feelings for a sister. I’ve asked myself many times if these weaknesses, or others, were responsible for my disillusionment with the group. I believe, in all humility, that these accusations can not be made against me. I was held up as a model member – always there, on the “front line”, accomplishing my mission, never any serious “spiritual problems”. I believe that I did know the DP, at least as well as could be expected under the circumstances. I believe my heart was pure and my feelings sincere regarding the sister I worked with. As far as uniting with “God and True Parent’s heart”, the only reason I joined was to comfort that heart. My point here is not to lift myself up. It’s only to demonstrate that it isn’t right to immediately dismiss all ex-members as having some internal weakness. Is it probable that all the thousands of good, sacrificial, loving, righteous people who once called Moon “Father” and no longer do all had such character flaws? That they all “couldn’t handle the lifestyle” or “failed to persevere?” Isn’t it possible that something else is going on? ....
]I want to talk now specifically to current UC members. I understand that this will be deeply upsetting and challenging in many ways. I remember feeling that it was so inappropriate for others – “You can’t judge my faith! You don’t know what this means to me! You don’t understand what I’ve found!” I apologize up front if I have not been sensitive enough to those feelings. I hope you can put that aside, and that you will give me a few moments, and not run away from this, knowing that I am going to be critical of the movement.

I imagine that most of you who have read my story are formulating conclusions as to my “failings” as a member. When I was in the group, this was a routine process when confronted with the “defection” of a member. “This person had a “Cain/Abel problem and couldn’t unite with his central figure”. “He had a shallow understanding of the Principle”. “She was a weak member, prone to spiritual problems”. “He didn’t know God and True Parent’s heart”. With me, you may be thinking I had a “Chapter 2 problem” – that I was invaded by Satan because of “unprincipled” feelings for a sister. I’ve asked myself many times if these weaknesses, or others, were responsible for my disillusionment with the group. I believe, in all humility, that these accusations can not be made against me. I was held up as a model member – always there, on the “front line”, accomplishing my mission, never any serious “spiritual problems”. I believe that I did know the DP, at least as well as could be expected under the circumstances. I believe my heart was pure and my feelings sincere regarding the sister I worked with. As far as uniting with “God and True Parent’s heart”, the only reason I joined was to comfort that heart. My point here is not to lift myself up. It’s only to demonstrate that it isn’t right to immediately dismiss all ex-members as having some internal weakness. Is it probable that all the thousands of good, sacrificial, loving, righteous people who once called Moon “Father” and no longer do all had such character flaws? That they all “couldn’t handle the lifestyle” or “failed to persevere?” Isn’t it possible that something else is going on? ....
Continue reading at the excellent blog How Well Do You Know Your Moon?