Advanced Search

Author Topic: Arson Attack on Essex Brahma Kumaris Center  (Read 1709 times)

July 22, 2015, 01:50:39 PM
Read 1709 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Arson Attack on Essex Brahma Kumaris Center
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Well this is news. And to be honest, given the abuse, exploitation, and general cult nastiness I have heard about committed by the Brahma Kumaris, I am not at all surprised someone snapped. I am curious though as to exactly what his beef is with the Brahma Kumaris. The articles mention it in passing (I've provided quotes below), but do not give details. That is the aspect I'm particularly interested in. Related - it's disappointing to see the Brahma Kumaris doomsday cult so often referred to as a religious organisation.

July 21, 2015: Arsonist Jailed for Attack on Chelmsford Brahma Kumaris Meditation Centre (Essex Chronicle)
Miss Bailey also told the court how Finch had sprayed the word 'evil' across the shop window on October 19, before the arson attack, and that he had carried out a similar attack on a woman in Kelvedon Hatch, whom he had met at a meditation centre in Ilford. ...Gavin Burrall, defending, told the court how Finch felt 'somewhat aggrieved' by the Brahma Kumaris religious organisation. ... "Anxiety due to his personal relationship and debt brought him to think of things from the past and carry out these offences."
July 22: Man Who Set Fire to Religious Centre in Chelmsford is Jailed for 5 Years (East Anglian Daily Times)
Investigating officer Dc Dan Bennington, of Chelmsford CID, said: “Finch was named by the victims as someone who may have an issue with the Brahma Kumaris Spiritual University, but they had not been in contact with him for 15 to 20 years.
July 22: Man Jailed Over Chelmsford Religious Centre Arson (Heart Radio)
July 23: An Arsonist Who Targeted a Religion Has Been Jailed for 5 years by Chelmsford Crown Court (Yellow Advertiser)

The Chelmsford branch was at the center of this 2008 financial scandal. Was the arsonist also conned out of his savings? His time with the group does predate that scandal by many years though.

May 05, 2017, 10:41:45 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Arson Attack on Essex Brahma Kumaris Center
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:41:45 PM »
In March of 2016, Stephen failed in his bid to have his sentence reduced.
AN EX-MEMBER of a religious group jailed for a revenge campaign of arson attacks against them because he later considered them a 'cult' deserved every day of his sentence, judges ruled.

Stephen Finch, 53, had been a follower of the Brahma Kumaris movement, but came to believe the group had ruined his life.

After leaving the group in 1997, it was 17 years later he decided to take revenge on two members, targeting the Inner Space meditation centre in Gloucester Avenue, Chelmsford, a hub for the Brahma Kumaris Spiritual University, and a house in Brentwood. He pleaded guilty to two reckless arsons and two counts of religiously aggravated criminal damage and was jailed for five years at Chelmsford Crown Court last July.

Two months later, he committed suicide. The report into his death by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman is attached below.