Advanced Search

Author Topic: Dance Master Teruyoshi Kotoura (Katsura Kan) & the Suicide of Sharoni Stern  (Read 3234 times)

April 03, 2015, 12:09:39 PM
Read 3234 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Following the suicide of Sharoni Stern, her family established the non-profit Families Against Cult Teachings (FACT). Here is the related Facebook page. In the words of her father, Tibor Stern:
"Sharoni was a brilliant light unto this world, and her life was cut short by a wicked man whose sole ambition in life is to manipulate, use and abuse people, preying on them with no concern at all for their well-being. Thusly, it has become our mission to expose cult figures like this and their corrupting methodologies and tactics, in hopes that it will prevent future tragedies from ever occurring."
Sharon's Complete Story
Sharon's Story - Shorter Version

March 23, 2014: A Very Sad Story - Butoh Dance Master Teruyoshi Kotoura, aka, Katsura Kan (World Cult Watch)
May 5: Dancing to Death: Family Alleges Katsura Kan, Butoh Dance Master, Drove His Student To Suicide (Love Fraud)
May 7: Heartbroken Father Claims His Daughter was Driven to Suicide by a Death Dance Cult Leader Who Made Her His Sex Slave & Plied Her With Mind-Bending Drugs (Daily Mail)
Subsequent Blog Post: http://interestinghmm.blogspot.kr/2014/06/sharon-stern-driven-to-suicide-by.html
May 18: Dancer Who Killed Herself Became Lost in the Dance (Miami Herald)

Concerning Naropa University & its Founder, Chogyam Trungpa:

May 1990: Encountering the Shadow in Buddhist America (Common Boundary)
2009: A Wild & Crazy Wisdom Guy: Chogyam Trungpa (Stripping the Gurus)
April 26, 2010: Boulder County Grand Jury Indicts Former Naropa Employee on Theft Charges (Daily Camera)
March 24, 2013: Five Insane Private Schools You Won't Believe Actually Exist
March 26: Cracked Mocks Naropa & The Waldorfs (New Age Fraud)
December 12: Naropa University Suspends Silent Professor Who Protested Racial Bias (The Huffington Post)
2014: Naropa University: How it Hurts its students, Higher Education, & Buddhism) (Former Student's Blog)
February 28, 2015: Naropa University Denies Blame for Alumna's Suicide - Family of Sharon Stern Says School is Partially to Blame For Her 2012 Death (Daily Camera)
Cults on Campus (Families Against Cult Teachings):
Since the horrible death of Sharon Stern, F.A.C.T. has discovered much more evidence about Naropa University that current and potential students, as well as their families, need to be made aware of. (For those who don't know, Naropa University is where Sharon Stern first met her teacher who turned out to be a master manipulator/cult leader.) Since its inception, Naropa University in Boulder, CO has been something of a breeding ground and safe haven for faculty members to manipulate and abuse their students in one form or another, even starting with its own founder Chögyam Trungpa, who was well known for his manipulations, lewd behavior and misconduct with students throughout his time at Naropa.

Chögyam Trungpa started Naropa University in 1974, and was notorious for manipulating, controlling, and seducing many of his young students. Trungpa was also known to deliberately have sex with married women and to "play God" with people's lives and consequently ruin them, just because he could. Witnesses have even reported that he had forcibly stripped down two people at a “seminary party” one night while drunk (Trungpa was known to be a raging alcoholic and drug addict, and would even lecture to students in these mind-altered states). Due to the power of his manipulative abilities, many of his student followers defended his behavior, falsely believing in Trungpa's "crazy wisdom" as a path towards enlightenment and personal betterment.

April 03, 2015, 12:19:33 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Going back almost 25 years, this interview was conducted in 1991. I'm not sure if anything in it is relevant to the allegations, but it seems to be the most significant piece on him before Sharoni's suicide.

1991: Katsura Kan: Butoh Dancer (Kyoto Journal)
At 36, Kyoto-born butoh dancer and choreographer Katsura Kan has done what would have been unthinkable when the butoh movement began three decades ago. He has survived as an independent dancer, working outside the established butoh companies, after having left the acclaimed Byakkosha group in [seven years ago]. His own multinational butoh company, the Saltimbanques, has featured dancers from North America, Europe, Australia and Israel as well as Japan. He has also appeared as a guest dancer with other international dance groups.

When and how did you first get interested in butoh?
My father was an actor, and my mother was a Takarazuka-style dancer, but I didn’t think about becoming a dancer myself until about ten years ago. I started learning percussion and dance, and then I hit a wall. I needed a way to make progress, and to get to know my body. I’d become accustomed by habit to one kind of physical pattern, so I had to find something to get me out of the old pattern, and help me discover the source of my body’s power.

And that was what led to butoh?
Not directly. It was only by chance that I was looking for a way to get over the wall at exactly the same time tat Byakkosha was forming in Kyoto, so I joined them and toured with them in Japan, Southeast Asia and South Korea. I was with Byakkosha for three years, and then I got very interested in the Noguchi Method of physical training. Noguchi Taiso is very Japanese, but is unique even among Japanese style of bodywork. It’s the opposite of the Western idea that the body is anatomical, that it’s a system of bones and muscles that have to be developed and coordinated, usually in ways that are very forceful and fast. ....
July 4, 2012: Event Promotion on Facebook:
From 3d to 14th of July 2012 we invite you to the workshop of one of the leading butoh dancers, from first butoh generation, Katsura Kan. The workshop will take place in art-residence Revonkyl? (Finland).

The main aim of the workshop according to Katsura Kan is to wake up our bodies, and not only our physical body but also a body of mind, those body where intuition, soul, memories and dreams are locating.

WORKSHOP:
Intensive classes from morning to evening include physical training and meditation practice.
Katsura Kan, Grigory Glazunov and Merja Malkki will give lectures during the workshop.

ACCOMODATION:
Wooden finnish house or tents.

BOARD:
Vegetarian lunch,
Breakfast and dinner participants organize by themselves (there is a kitchen to cook in the house)

TRANSFER:
Transfer Joensuu-Revonkyl?-Joensuu is included.
Also we can additionally organize for you transfer Sankt-Petersburg-Joensuu

And MORE
Sauna during workshop.
Unlimited access to purest forest, lakes and inspiring landscapes of Finnish Karelia.

MONEY:
220 euro. Registration and prepayment is necessary!

REVONKYL: art-residence in Finland, a unique place. A special space with deep history and energy.
Twice a year performers and artists from Finland, Russia, Israel, Greece, Holland are gathering here to create, to communicate and to live together.

About MASTER:
Katsura Kan, a native of Kyoto is a Butoh dance artist from among the ranks of Japan's ANKOKU Butoh (dance of darkness) generation. Kan is a celebrated solo and collaborative performer as well as choreographer, established his own group "KATSURA Kan & Saltimbanques" in 1986, Kan has worked with what he calls "minority dancers" all over the world, in remote locations from Africa - Mediterranean - Asia - US - Australia for the past 30 years, in addition to his creative works in cosmopolitan culture, strongly takes an initiative as an international Butoh scene.

Katsura Kan's work as a performer, a choreographer, a researcher, and a teacher is unique in that he utilizes Butoh and the uniquely Japanese qualities of this dance form as a gateway to explore dance and performing arts from other cultures. Not only is Kan known for his interest in diversity in the performing arts, but he engages social-historical realities with his work. For example, Kan was an artist in residency in Bosnia & Herzegovina in 2005 and 2006. He has worked in Warszaw, Russia, Paris and Spain and has expanded his Japanese and European experience to include West Africa and Thailand, working with children in both places. Recently he has developed and performed a suite of "Beckett Butoh Notation" pieces integrating the work of Nobel prize winning writer Samuel Beckett and Butoh co-founder Hijikata Tatsumi.
August 2014: Event Promotion on Facebook:
Open Butoh workshop in Outokumpu
In Buddhist teaching, there is a core called 'Right View' from the 'Noble Eight-Fold Path'.
KATSURA KAN's workshop aims to the 'Right View', which is simply to point out observation with the five senses for the sake of interesting choreography.
We will face the new cognitive approach to the body with instruction through the practical method of Kan's BUTOH NOTATION which is how to 'listen to your noise' and 'focus on the other side of your reality' through his experiences of the significant elements of BUTOH.

The workshop is suitable for everyone with and without previous BUTOH experience.

Katsura Kan, a native of Kyoto is a Butoh dance artist from among the ranks of Japan’s ANKOKU Butoh (dance of darkness) generation. Kan is a celebrated solo and collaborative performer as well as choreographer, established his own group "KATSURA Kan & Saltimbanques" in 1986, Kan has worked with what he calls ”minority dancers” all over the world, in remote locations from Africa - Mediterranean - Asia - US - Australia for the past 30 years, in addition to his creative works in cosmopolitan culture, strongly takes an initiative as an international Butoh scene.

price: 120€ / 100 € students and unemployed

registration and more information:
[email protected]
050 3657149

Time:
22-24.8. Friday-Sunday
9.30-11.30 & 12.30-15.30

On Saturday 23.8, there will be a performance by Katsura Kan.

Warmly welcome!
For guests from far away, we can help with housing.