Advanced Search

Author Topic: Some Thoughts & Links on Lawrence Wright's Going Clear  (Read 13416 times)

March 18, 2015, 02:45:01 PM
Read 13416 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Some Thoughts & Links on Lawrence Wright's Going Clear
« on: March 18, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
My path to Lawrence Wright's book Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief a few months ago was quite an unusual one. Normally, it doesn't take much for me to pick up a book about a cult, but earlier this year, after reading in quick succession several books about North Korea and other cults of personality, I felt burnt out on the subject and looked forward to reading books unrelated to sociopaths; the cults they lead; the scams they pull; and the people they exploit, harm, and kill.

I hope to write more this year, so when it came time to choose a new book to read, I turned to The New New Journalism: Conversations with America's Best Nonfiction Writers on Their Craft by Robert Boynton for inspiration and reading pleasure.

It was a fascinating journey through the minds of over a dozen dedicated journalists who have all gone to rather extraordinary lengths to report on issues they feel are worthy of years of their lives. Along the way, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that several of the journalists interviewed had written about cults and totalitarianism. My effort to avoid reading about cults had failed, yet it was a fascinating and inspirational look into the working processes and practices of those who had jumped in and explored the subject to depths I can only dream of.

Included in the book are interviews with Ron Rosenbaum, author of Explaining Hitler: The Search for the Origins of His Evil; Richard Preston, author of The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus; Jon Krakauer, author of Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith; and of course Lawrence Wright (before he had written Going Clear), author of The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11.

While reading the Lawrence Wright interview, I was surprised to learn he was the author of Going Clear, the book about Scientology I had seen mentioned recently so often on Scientology-related Facebook groups due to the imminent release of the HBO documentary it inspired. Lawrence's working practices, his meticulous research and cataloguing methods, and his work ethic invited me to seek out and read Going Clear, even though I felt like a break from such fare. The result was I began reading it from a different perspective. Instead of reading another book about a cult, I read it with his writing style, research methods, and work ethic in mind. Through reading it from that slightly different mindset, my interest in reading about cults returned with a vengeance. I absolutely loved it and flew straight through it, finishing it within a week. Lawrence's writing drew me in and held me captive (in a good way) until the last page and beyond as you can see from the links posted below.

You can read much about the book and more through the following articles and videos, or you could read the book itself, too. That certainly wouldn't hurt. What I will say is perhaps something you won't read too much about in the links below because the quotes I'm about to share "struck a chord" with me personally. They are quotes that perhaps aren't that significant to the casual reader who isn't obsessed with film music. Once again my love of music, especially film music, had collided with my interest in cults. Usually those interests are quite separate, but recently they have more and more converged.

Last year it came to light that the London Symphony Orchestra and Michael Nyman teamed up with the now dead Sewol ferry owner and cult leader Yoo Byeong-eun. Also last year, I helped (just a little) violinist Mark O'Connor explore Shinichi Suzuki's weird music cult.

This time the cult/music connection came courtesy of composer Mark Isham. I recall reading several years ago that he is a Scientologist, but didn't give his involvement much thought. I only recently began exploring his music via the beautiful music he wrote for the TV series Once Upon A Time. My enjoyment of his music could never be tainted by his membership on a cult, but I was still quite saddened (I got over it) to read the brief mentions of him in Going Clear which paint him to be up there amongst the most indoctrinated:
After sending copies of his resignation letter to his closest friends in Scientology, Haggis wasn't surprised when he came home from work a few days later to find nine or ten of them in his front yard. "I can't imagine why you're here," he joked, but he invited them to sit on the back porch and talk. ... Isham was especially frustrated. He felt they weren't breaking through to Haggis. ...

Isham had been analysing the discussion from a Scientological perspective. In his view, Haggis's emotional state on the Tone Scale at that moment was a 1.1, Covertly Hostile. By adopting a tone just above -Anger- he hoped to blast Haggis out of the psychic place where he seemed to be lodged. Isham made what he calls an intellectual decision to be angry. ...

All of his friends believed that if he wanted to change Scientology, he should do it from within. They wanted him to recant and return to the fold or else withdraw his letter and walk away without a fuss. Haggis listened patiently. A fundamental tenet of Scientology is that differing points of view must be fully heard and acknowledged. But when his friends finished, they were still red-faced and angry. Haggis suggested that as good Scientologists, they should at least examine the evidence. He referred them to the St. Petersburg Times (now The Tampa Bay Times) articles that had so shaken him, and to certain websites written by former members. ...

By copying them on his resignation letter, he had hoped that they would be as horrified as he by the practises that were going on in the name of Scientology. Instead, he realized, they were mainly appalled by his actions in calling the management of they church to account. Haggis's friends came away from the meeting with mixed feelings -"no clearer than when we went in," Archer felt. What wasn't said in this meeting was that this would be the last time any of them would ever speak to Haggis. Isham did consider Haggis's plea to look at the websites or the articles in the St. Petersburg Times, but he decided, "it was like reading Mein Kampf if you wanted to know something about the Jewish religion."
This site claims Mark completed OT level 5 in 2004. The evil galactic warlord story is introduced - as fact - in OT level 3:

Story of Xenu (Scientology)

Before I begin posting links, I want to share this excellent Lawrence Wright interview so that it does not get lost in the following pile. It serves as a great introduction to the book, the HBO documentary, and the surrounding issues and people:

Scientology Documentary: Lawrence Wright talks about "Going Clear"
Here are a few Scientology sites tasked with discrediting the book, the documentary, and all involved:
http://www.lawrencewrightgoingclear.com/
http://www.freedommag.org/
http://www.freedommag.org/hbo/
https://twitter.com/freedomethics
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC30yV0c2MxvuUo5cGiRy1w/videos

March 18, 2015, 05:00:12 PM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Some Thoughts & Links on Lawrence Wright's Going Clear
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »
I'm really into collections of links, especially when they concern an ongoing story about a cult. I have quite a few spread out across my site: The criminal history of convicted rapist and cult leader Jeong Myeong-seok; a whole bunch of links spread out over several threads concerning Yoo Byeung-eun, the dead cult leader owner of the Sewol ferry which sank taking 300 kids with it; a list of Dahn Yoga front groups (I compiled that a while ago, so there are probably lots of dead links by now); a list of articles related to The Interview, and the Sony Hack; and most recently the Korean Air nut rage saga. And now it's time to delve into the crazy world that L. Ron and David made as viewed through the words of Lawrence Wright and the images (and words) of Alex Gibney.

First up, is the article that started Lawrence Wright's Scientology journey. His 2011 New Yorker article led to his book, which led to the HBO documentary. Below that, is a work-in-progress collection of ensuing, notable articles and videos. A lot of these I came across via the SPs 'r' Us Facebook group. If you're not up to speed with Scientology jargon, "SP" stand for Suppressive Person. A Suppressive Person is what my favourite Korean cults refer to as "Satans". Other links I found thanks to Rick Ross's collection of cult-related articles at Cult News Network. A couple of friends also chipped in with links. Last but not least, good old-fashioned Google.

February, 2011: The Apostate: Paul Haggis Vs. the Church of Scientology (The New Yorker)

September 10: Nicole Kidman: I've Lost My Kids to Scientology (Women's Day via Cult Information Service)

January 15: The Cruise Indoctrination Video Scientology Tried To Suppress

December 21: Tom Cruise Sued for Spying & Illegal Wiretapping (US Weekly)
Tom Cruise Sued for Allegedly Spying (TMZ)

June 28: It's Time to End the Church of Scientology's Tax-Exempt Status (Steven Hassan)

2011:
February 7: The 13 Most Intriguing Revelations of The New Yorker's Paul Haggis/Scientology Expose (Movieline)
Mark Isham in Scientology Article (Filmscore Monthly) Thread locked on Feb. 12, 2015. Perhaps because I bumped it ;). Pathetic the thread was locked. Grrr. >:(
February 8, 2011: The Church Of Scientology, Fact-Checked (NPR)

2012:
January 12: Scientology Abandoned By Hubbard's granddaughter & Miscavige's Father (New York Village Voice)
May 12: John Travolta Dragged Into Narconon Death Lawsuits
July 2: Scientology Continues to Ruin Tom Cruise's Life, One Relationship at a Time (The Morton Report)
September 2: Tom Cruise Dumped from Hollywood by Vanity Fair (Showbiz 411)
September 5: Meet The Highly Litigious Church Of Scientology's Most Trusted Lawyers (Business Insider)
October: What Katie Didn’t Know (Vanity Fair)
November 11: Going Clear by Lawrence Wright Coming in January (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group)

2013:
January 2: A Careful Writer Stalks the Truth About Scientology (The New York Times)
January 10: Interview with Tony Ortega About Going Clear & Scientology:

Truth Beyond Scientology Hysteria with Tony Ortega
January 17: Eyes Wide Shut: Going Clear, Lawrence Wright’s Book on Scientology (The New York Times)
March 13: Tom Cruise Wiretapping Lawsuit: Judge Throws Out Case Against Cruise (Christian Post)
March 18: Tom Cruise Wins Lawsuit Over Anthony Pellicano Wiretapping
On Monday, a Los Angeles Superior Court ruled from the bench that the allegations weren't brought within the statute of limitations.
April 25: Scientology: The Story Reviews of Going Clear and Beyond Belief (The New York Review of Books) You need to subscribe to read the whole review.
November 9: Paul Haggis Interview: I've Seen Scientology Ruin People (The Telegraph)

2014:
February 11: Louis Theroux Asks Scientologists to get Involved in Non-Judgemental Documentary (The Mirror)
February 27: Leah Remini Slams Scientology: Everything The Church Taught Me Was A Lie (Pop Dust)
March 14: Scientology Clergy Force a Mother to Choose: Son or Daughter (The Tampa Bay Times)
April 14: Will Smith’s Failed Private School Kept Scientology Connections Hidden From Parents (Dead State)
November 24: HBO & BBC Battling to Get Full-Length Films About Scientology Out First (The Underground Bunker)
Scientology documentary coming to HBO (The Seattle Times)
HBO Hires 160 Lawyers for Scientology Film (2 Paragraphs) The quote was given tongue-in-cheek, but that isn't to say HBO didn't have lots of lawyers working on the project.

2015:
January 15: How the Scientology Doc's Tom Cruise Revelations Could Bring Down the Church (Esquire)
January 21: 6 Reasons to Join Scientology Immediately After Watching HBO's Going Clear (Red Eye Chicago)

January 26: Tom Cruise Wiretapped Nicole Kidman and 5 More Revelations from Going Clear (The Hollywood Reporter)
What Sundance Favorite Going Clear Tells Us About Scientology (Slate)

January 27: Tom Cruise Had Nicole Kidman's Phone Wiretapped & More Revelations in Scientology Doc Going Clear (US Weekly)

January 28: Controversial Scientology Documentary Under Fire (NBC Bay Area)
Church of Scientology Sets Up Online Response to Going Clear Doc (Entertainment Weekly)

January 30: Scientology Is Helpless Against HBO’s New Documentary, Even If It Doesn't Think So (The Daily Banter)
February 3: Church of Scientology Targets Film Critics over Going Clear Documentary (The Guardian)
February 10: Going Clear Scientology Documentary Coming to Vimeo After HBO Run (Variety)
February 12: Danny Masterson Sounds Off on Scientology Movie: Haters Can "Go F--k Yourself (Yahoo TV)
February 20: Sect Lashes Out Claiming Director's Father Published CIA Propaganda (The Daily Mail)
February 24: Scientology’s Chilling Effect (The New York Times)

March 20, 2015, 11:03:43 AM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
March 3: Makers of Scientology Documentary Call on Tom Cruise & John Travolta to Address Abuses (People Magazine)
Alex Gibney, Paul Haggis, Lawrence Wright Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (90-Minute Roundtable Discussion) (The New York Times)

March 4: Scientology Almost Killed Me: John Travolta's Nephew Details His Life on the Run Since Leaving Scientology (The Daily Mail)
Filmmakers Discuss How the Church of Scientology Tapped Nicole Kidman’s Phone to End Her Marriage to Tom Cruise (Vanity Fair)
Scenes From the Going Clear Publicity Caravan in Midtown Manhattan (The Underground Bunker)
Creators of Film Critical of Scientology Calls Out John Travolta & Tom Cruise to Address Allegations of Abuse Within Organization (Christian Post)
Documentary Going Clear Examines Church of Scientology (CBS This Morning):

Documentary "Going Clear" examines Church of Scientology
March 5: Going Clear Documentary Source on How Scientology Sees Tom Cruise as Useless (The Hollywood Reporter Via Yahoo News)
Will Smith is Not a Scientologist (The Underground Bunker)
March 6: Tom, Katie & Suri: A Scientology Story (The Daily Beast)
March 7: How a Filmmaker Finally Infiltrated Scientology for HBO's Explosive Documentary (Business Insider)
March 8: Scientology Really, Really, Really Doesn't Want You to See this Movie (The Underground Bunker)
March 9: Going Clear Harassed & Threatened (The Underground Bunker)

March 10: HBO’s New Scientology Documentary Causes a Stir at LACMA Screening (Variety)
Former Member and Lovable Youtuber Tory Magoo on the LACMA Screening of Going Clear:

Scientology and Going Clear at LACMA
March 11:
Going Clear Documentary Unites Voices Against Scientology (Pantagraph)
Going Clear Screening in Austin Featuring Marty Rathbun & Other Familiar Faces (The Underground Bunker)

March 12:
Going Clear: An Inquiry and an Inquisition (Entertainment Weekly)
Lawrence Wright on Scientology’s Broken Community & the Complicity of Tom Cruise & John Travolta (Salon)
Review: Alex Gibney Takes On Scientology in Going Clear (The New York Times). From 1:12 in this video. The film reviewed after Going Clear looks great as well:

'Cinderella,' 'Going Clear' & More | This Week’s Movies: Reviews | The New York Times
March 13:
How Going Clear Outs John Travolta (Buzz Feed News)
Going Clear Explores the Finances of Scientology (Marketplace Business)
Scientology's Final Say On Going Clear (The Hollywood Reporter)
The Wife of Scientology's Leader has Allegedly Been Missing for 9 Years, but HBO’s Documentary Doesn't Address it (Business Insider)
HBO’s Scientology Exposé Going Clear Is Jaw-Dropping (Vulture)
Review: Scientology Documentary Going Clear Exposes The Horrors Of The Religion (Hollywood LAist)

March 14 (Maybe, the video is undated): Scientology Under Fire & Scientology Fights Back (ABC News)
Church of Scientology Under Fire Again (ABC News)

March 15: Going Clear Subject Tom DeVocht Gets Lesson in Scientology’s Social Media Surveillance (The Underground Bunker)
Documentary Maker Alex Gibney: News Networks Fear the Church of Scientology (The Daily Beast)
6 Insane Ways the Church of Scientology Has Tried to Silence Critics (Salon)
Bart & Fleming: On Alex Gibney’s HBO Scientology Documentary & Tom Cruise (Deadline)

March 16: Scientology Goes Full Tim & Eric on Going Clear Documentary (Boingboing)
Scientology Ready to Sue HBO for Copyright Infringement (Why We Protest)
The Church Of Scientology Has Responded To Going Clear, Calling Witnesses Wife Beater & Home Wrecker (Uproxx)
Scientology's Media War Against New Documentary (CNN Money)

March 17: Paul Haggis' Sister Completely Trashes Him and His Career Over the Scientology Doc Dispute (Pajiba)
Ranking The Church Of Scientology’s Going Clear Response Videos By Watchability (Uproxx)

March 18: Controversial Scientology Documentary Going Clear Has Everyone Talking & Here's What You Need To Know About It (Bustle)
How to Get Threatened by Scientologists (Religion News Service)
Extreme Discipline To Private Investigators: 13 Shocking Revelations From Scientology Tell-All Movie Going Clear (Radar Online)
Restoring L. Ron: Going Clear & the Shadow Campaign to Redeem the Father of Scientology
HBO Going Clear Press Release (Steven Hassan)

March 19: Clear & Present Danger: Alex Gibney on His Bold Scientology Doc (Rolling Stone Magazine)
Scientology’s Enturbulating Lingo (The Boston Globe)
Going Clear Fallout: Imagining the Fate of Scientology & David Miscavige (The Underground Bunker)

March 20: Going Clear: Jason Beghe, the actor who left Scientology and made a stink about it (The Underground Bunker)
Going Clear is a Must-See Scientology Documentary (BBC)
Scientology Takes Aim at Going Clear Documentary (NBC News)
Inside Scientology: A Reading List (Long Reads)
Ex-Scientologist Tells TODAY: I Ordered Nicole Kidman Phone Tap (TODAY)

March 21: Going Clear Subject Tom DeVocht Reveals New Info about Tom Cruise & Scientology’s Leader (The Underground Bunker)
Scientologist: Cancel Your HBO Service (Mike Rinder's Blog)

March 23: HBO Debuts Scientology Doc Going Clear (Community Voices)
Going Clear: Mike Rinder Helps Us Understand a Scientology Document That Will Creep You Out (The Underground Bunker)
The Church Of Scientology is bad at Twitter (Dissolve)
Oscar-Winning Documentarian Takes on Scientology (MSNBC)
Petition: Revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt Status (White House Petitions)
Scientology’s Sneaky Google Ads Slam HBO Documentary? (The Daily Beast)

March 24: The Church of Scientology has Taken to the Internet to Refute Going Clear (Soda Head)
Here's Why The New Scientology Doc Going Clear Calls Out Tom Cruise (The Huffington Post)
Scientology Is Even Crazier Than You Think: A Review Of Going Clear (The Daily Banter)
Going Clear: Paul Haggis Pens a Description of the Scientology Experience You Won’t Forget (The Underground Bunker)

March 25: JLo, Disconnection & Going Clear (Mike Rinder's Blog)
Going Clear: Marty Rathbun on What He was Thinking During His Key Moment (The Underground Bunker)
HBO Going Clear: Cruise & Travolta Trapped in Scientology (The Examiner)
This is Why HBO’s Going Clear Has the Church of Scientology Worried (Raw Story)
Why Scientology’s Cone of Silence Shattered (The Daily Beast)

March 28, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
Reply #3

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
March 26: Going Clear: Sara Goldberg on How Scientology Turned her Daughter Against hHer (The Underground Bunker)
It's Not Easy Being Scientology (The Atlantic)
HBO Doc Going Clear Tackles the Question: Why Scientology? (w/video) (The Tampa Bay Times)
New Sordid Details About Scientology's Role in Cruise & Kidman's Marriage (Redbook)
Church Of Scientology Calls New HBO Documentary Bigoted (NPR)
6 Desperate Ways the Church of Scientology Is Trying to Stop Going Clear (AlterNet)
Will HBO's Going Clear Change The Church Of Scientology Forever? (The Huffington Post)
10 Groundbreaking Documentary Exposes of Closed & Secret Worlds (Flavor Wire)
Going Clear: Alex Gibney & Lawrence Wright Q&A Highlights:

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief | Alex Gibney, Lawrence Wright Q&A Highlights
March 27: HBO's Going Clear Exposes Secrets of Scientology (Fox News)
Going Clear, Killing Jesus, and the Enduring Mysteries of Faith (The Washington Post)
Alex Gibney Takes on Scientology (The Huffington Post)
HBO’s Scientology Movie Going Clear May Pose Big Problems for Cruise & Travolta (Showbiz 411)
The Cost of Going Clear: Anyone Can Be Brainwashed by Cults Like Scientology (Quartz)
HBO Documentary Exposes Scientology's Mass Abuses (Charisma News)
HBO's Going Clear Should Be the Final Nail in Scientology's Coffin (The Week)
Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief Review (Collider)
How One Woman Climbed Her Way Out of Scientology’s Elite Sea Org (The Washington Post)

March 28: Going Clear Eve: Leah Remini Grateful (The Underground Bunker)
Going Clear: Scientology Made Scary (Yahoo TV)
Going Clear: Where Is Scientology? (Mike Rinder's Blog)
Oscar Winner Paul Haggis: Miscavige was Following L. Ron Hubbard’s Cruel Playbook (Showbiz 411)
Going Clear About Isaac Hayes & Scientology: The Real Story (Showbiz 411)
Review HBO's Going Clear a Remarkable Glimpse into Scientology (The LA Times)
Scientology's "Freedom Media Ethics" Twitter Account Shows How Scared It Is Of Going Clear (Bustle)

March 30, 2015, 09:44:20 PM
Reply #4

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »
After Going Cleared Aired on HBO

March 29: Scientology Doc Going Clear Airing Sunday on HBO (Entertainment Weekly)
The Crowd’s All Here: What Does the Airing of the Going Clear Mean to You? (The Underground Bunker)
Going Clear Goes Viral On Twitter As Folks Live-Tweet Reactions To HBO Scientology Documentary (Inquisitr)
Eight Burning Questions We Have after Watching Going Clear (ET Online)
16 Shocking Allegations in Going Clear (Huffington Post)
HBO Broadcasts Film Alleging Torture by Church of Scientology (The Independent)
Going Clear Review: HBO's Indispensable History of Scientology (People Magazine)
David E Love’s letter to Scientology IAS members to watch HBO Going Clear (Narconon Canada)
Paul Haggis' Scientology Letter From 2009 Says A Lot & You Didn't See All Of It In Going Clear (Bustle)
Why So Many Celebrities Are Scientologists: Going Clear, Revealing New HBO Doc, Holds Clues (In These Times)

March 30: HBO's Going Clear Documentary on Scientology Sparks Debate (Chicago Tribune)
10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc Going Clear (Rolling Stone Magazine)
CLAIM: Scientology Threatening Documentary Participants With Blackmail & Violence (Brietbart)
Scientology, Going Clear, and the Church's Long War With the IRS (Vice News)
16 Things We Learned From The Shocking Scientology Documentary (Harper's Bazaar)
Here’s How Scientology Is Trying (and Failing) To Control the Damage Done by Going Clear (The Daily Banter)
More Scientology Shockers: 5 Revelations Left out of the HBO Film (AlterNet)
HBO’s Going Clear Triggers New Scrutiny of Scientology’s Tax-Exempt Status (The Wrap)
Hear a Scientologist Being Declared Suppressive & Facing the Loss of Her Family (The Underground Bunker)
Ask Tom Cruise to Investigate and Address the Alleged Abuses of the Church of Scientology as Exposed in Going Clear (Change)
Five Scary Claims About Scientology From HBO's Going Clear (Bustle)
Tom Cruise is Scum: Read People’s Stunned Reactions to Going Clear (Salon)
Going Clear: Commenters Slam Cruise & Travolta as Scum & Cowards (Examiner)
Going Clear Draws Strong Hollywood Reactions: Crazy, Stunned, Terrifying (The Wrap)
Jason Beghe: The TV Tough Guy Who Took on Scientology (Rolling Stone)
How Scientology Controls Travolta & Tom Cruise According to Going Clear (The Washington Post)
People Were Shocked After Watching Going Clear (Business Insider)
21 Insane Scientology Stories That Going Clear Left Out (Vulture)
Going Clear & Getting Rough! Hollywood Reacts Strongly To HBO's Scientology Doc! (Prez Hilton)
Leah Remini Thanks HBO Scientology Filmmakers for Helping Those Who Didn't Have a Voice (People)
Going Clear Production Company Receives Mass Amounts Of Letters From Church Of Scientology After HBO Premiere (International Business Times)
HBO's Going Clear Documentary on Scientology Sparks Debate (The LA Times)
Representatives for Travolta and Cruise said that neither had any comment about the movie.
March 31: More Scientology Shockers: 5 Astonishing Revelations Going Clear Left Out (Salon)
A Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Back in Comm. Blog)
Ryan ‘Fitzy’ Fitzgerald Had a Creepy Scientology Encounter (News Australia) Not directly related, but I like the Aussie connection, and it's a sign of growing interest.
Documentary Reveals How Scientology Controls Travolta & Cruise (News Australia)
Scientology Dissenter Leah Remini Leads Celebrity Applause for Going Clear (The Daily Mail)
HBO's Going Clear Exposes Scientology Tactics, Wealth, & IRS Church Status (Forbes)
Going Clear Fallout (Mike Rinder's Blog)
Neil deGrasse Tyson Defends Scientology (The Daily Beast) - The old "all religious beliefs are crazy argument" that ignores the level of deception, exploitation, and abuse.
How I left the Scientology RPF & Why GoingClear is the Most Important Film of 2015 (Raging Buddha)
People Were Flabbergasted After Watching HBO's Explosive Scientology Documentary Last Night (Business Insider)
This Is One Of The Most Shocking Scientology Stories Not In Going Clear (The Huffington Post)
HBO Scientology Doc Going Clear Converts 1.7 Million Viewers, Best in 9 Years (The Wrap)
Former Scientologist in Going Clear: I'm Standing Up for What Is Right (People)
Scientology Exposé Going Clear Is HBO's Biggest Doc Premiere in Almost a Decade (Hollywood Reporter)
Inside the Town Scientology Built Where Cruise, Travolta and Kirstie Alley rule with Vast Estates while Sea Org Members Live 6-to-a-Room & pay $100k to Learn Super Powers (Daily Mail)
Paulette Cooper on HBO Scientology Film: Told You So (The Boston Globe)
Scientology Turned Nicole Kidman's Kids Against Her During Her Breakup With Tom Cruise, Claims HBO's Going Clear (Bustle)
Going Clear Could Cause Problems For Tom Cruise At Box Office For Mission Impossible 5 (International Business Times)
The Church of Scientology is Paying Twitter to Combat Critics of Going Clear (Salon)

April 01, 2015, 09:24:27 PM
Reply #5

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site

April 03, 2015, 11:22:05 AM
Reply #6

Offline Darkly Venus

• Lunch

• View Profile
    • Universal Medicine Accountability
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
This is a great resource, Peter, but you missed a beauty  ;)

Unfortunately it was too hot for YouTube, but Gawker has this in house video of Tom Cruise playing the true believer. :o http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise-indoctrination-video-scientology-tried-to-suppress

April 03, 2015, 11:51:54 AM
Reply #7

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
Thanks^. I saw that when it was released, but yeah I forgot to include that in the above. Will correct^. Actor Jerry O'Connell did a great parody of it, but I can't find it online. Sad. :'(

Part 2 of Mike Rinder's appearance on Fox is online: 
Fmr Scientology Enforcer Speaks Out - Tom Cruise - The Kelly File - part 2

April 04, 2015, 12:36:18 AM
Reply #8

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:18 AM »
Sometime in April: Where Is Shelly Miscavige, Wife Of Scientology Leader David Miscavige? She Hasn't Been Seen In 7 Years (Bustle)

April 3: How Scientologists are dealing with the popularity of Alex Gibney’s film Going Clear (The Underground Bunker)
Oscars: Going Clear Leads Host of Strong Doc Contenders From Year's First Quarter (The Hollywood Reporter)

April 4: Going Clear Subject Tom DeVocht Visited by Burbank PD After Suspicious Anonymous Tip (The Underground Bunker)

April 6: CNN Tonight with Don Lemon: Scientology with Tony Ortega, Paulette Cooper, Tory Christman and Steve Hassan:

Ex-Scientology Exec Thinks Church Tried to Frame Him Over Going Clear (Gawker)
Travolta Defends Scientology From Going Clear: The Church Has Been So Beautiful for Me (The Hollywood Reporter)
John Travolta Happy with Scientology, Won't See Going Clear (The Tampa Bay Times)
No, I haven't and I don't really care to. I haven't experienced anything that the hearsay has (claimed), so why would I communicate something that wasn't true for me? It wouldn't make sense, nor would it for Tom, I imagine. I've been so happy with my experience in the last 40 years, that I really don't have anything to say that would shed light on (a documentary) so decidedly negative. I've been brought through storms that were insurmountable, and been so beautiful for me, that I can't even imagine attacking it. ... So, why would I even approach a negative perspective? That would be a crime to me, personally, to do that."
April 7: 25 of the Biggest Lies Told by Hubbard & The Church of Scientology (Plus CNN Appearance) (The Underground Bunker)

April 09, 2015, 12:10:59 PM
Reply #9

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »
Big news day!

April 8: Police: Scientology Head's Father Was Spied On (The LA Times)
Let Him Die: Scientology leader David Miscavige Had Private Eyes Watching His Father (The Underground Bunker)
Cops Say David Miscavige Spent $10K a Week Spying on His Elderly Father (Gawker)
Jenna Miscavige Hill on Her Uncle Spying on Her Grandfather: The Arrogance is Astonishing (The Underground Bunker)
Scientology & Elisabeth Moss: What the Mad Men Star Isn’t Talking About in Interviews (Salon)
Senator Xenophon Asks Regulator to Consider Revoking Church of Scientology’s Registration as a Charity (News Australia)
How Much Does Scientology Pocket From its Tax Exempt Status? (Fortune)
The End Of The Road For David Miscavige (Mike Rinder's Blog)
Tom Cruise & The Church of Scientology: Scientologists Run Tom's Life (US Magazine)

April 9: Read the Police Report on the Spies Who Kept Tabs Miscavige's Father (The Underground Bunker)
David “Let Him Die” Miscavige Lies Again (Mike Rinder's Blog)
PI Tells Cops: Tom Cruise Funds Everything! (TMZ)
Cops: Scientology Leader's Father was Tracked (NBC Today)
The Church of Scientology Is Hilariously Bad at Online Damage Control (Vice)
Marty Rathbun Is Scientology's Public Enemy No. 1 & He's Okay with That (Esquire)
Star Defections & Parodies: How Scientology Lost Its Grip on Hollywood (The Wrap)
Head Of Scientology REALLY Didn't Trust His Father (Young Turks):
Head Of Scientology REALLY Didn’t Trust His Father
April 10: Australia: Xenophon Back in the Fray (Infinite Complacency)
Scientologists Deny Allegations of Harassing IRS to Gain Tax-Exempt Status Seen in Going Clear (Christian Post)
Scientology Lockdown: Church Bans TV, Internet, Newspapers In The Wake Of Going Clear (Radar Online)
Scientology in Going Clear Lockdown: Members Ordered to Not Watch TV & News (Celebitchy)
Watch Out Scientology, Going Clear 2 Is In The Works! Filmmaker Teases Of Plenty Of Cutting Room Floor Footage (Radar Online)

April 11: Going Clear Filmmaker: Scientology Abuses its Tax-Exempt Status (Alex Gibney via The LA Times)
Going Clear Director Calls for End to Scientology Tax-Exempt Status in Op-Ed (The Hollywood Reporter)

April 12: Report: David Miscavige Also Hired Fake Friends for His Suppressive Dad (Gawker)
How Scientology broke up Tom Cruise & Mimi Rogers (The Underground Bunker)

April 14, 2015, 12:16:54 AM
Reply #10

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site

July 17, 2015, 11:45:40 AM
Reply #12

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
It's great seeing Going Clear and related subjects still so frequently in the news. :) Has a cult ever been on the receiving end of so much press and scrutiny?

July 1: David Miscavige Inspired His Father's Book Title If He Dies, He Dies (Examiner)
Scientology Slams Forthcoming Tell-All Book by Father of Church Head David Miscavige: ‘Provable Bulls–t’ (Celebrity Yahoo)

July 2: Russian Court Takes Justice Ministry’s Side Against Scientology (Russian Legal Information Agency)

July 3: Father of Church of Scientology Leader David Miscavige to Write Book About Estranged Son Titled 'If He Dies, He Dies' (Daily Mail)
July 5: Church of Scientology Allegedly Sent Threatening Letters to Film Distributors & Festivals Showing Damning Documentary (Independent)

July 8: Leah Remini Still Dealing With Pain & Anger From Scientology Split (Toronto Sun)
NYTimes Reports Link Between Scientology & Hack of Two Who Appeared in Going Clear (The Underground Bunker)

July 9: Father Files Civil Rights Complaint Against Church of Scientology: I Can't Speak to My Daughter (WPTV)

July 13: Tom Cruise to Visit Seoul for Mission Impossible Sequel (The Korea Times)
Why is Tom Cruise Afraid of Aussie Journo Bryan Seymour? (The Underground Bunker)

July 14: Inside Tom Cruise's Scientology CNN TV Network & Film Company (Daily Mail)
 ‘Blood, Sex, Crime!’ Shocking Scientology Emails Released In Kirstie Alley Lawsuit Reveal Dark Secrets Of The Church (Radar Online)

July 15: HBO is Putting Smash Scientology Doc Going Clear Back in Theaters  (The Verge)
July 17: How The Church of Scientology Tried to Bring Down Paulette Cooper (ABC Australia) Related Article

July 22: Why These 7 Celebs Left Scientology (Death & Taxes Magazine)

July 29: Cruise Controlled: Not Even Jon Stewart Dared Ask Tom Cruise About Scientology (The Atlantic)
Walking Dead Star’s Father Accuses Scientology of Brainwashing Her in Damning New Interview (Vanity Fair)

July 30: Tom Cruise Bans Scientology, Dating Questions for Interviewers on Mission: Impossible Media Blitz (The Wrap)
Scientology Documentary Going Clear Gets October DVD, VOD Release (Variety)
Scientology Regurgitated Attacks Claiming Daily Beast is a Daily Bigot (Examiner)

July 31: How Scientology Almost Ruined Tom Cruise's Career & Mission: Impossible Saved It (Business Insider)
July ends with the oddest Tom Cruise/Scientology article ever:
July 31: Well-Endowed Tom Cruise Statue Commemorates His 25 Years With Scientology (Breit Bart)

August 01, 2015, 07:30:04 AM
Reply #13

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 07:30:04 AM »

September 05, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
Reply #14

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
September 1: The Director of Going Clear Says Scientologists Have Been Coming After Him Pretty Hard (Business Insider)
September 5: LAPD Investigating Death Threats Against Scientology Leader David Miscavige (Raw Story)
September 12: Going Clear Wins Outstanding Documentary Emmy, Also For Writing & Directing (The Underground Bunker)
Going Clear Director On Tom Cruise & Sequel To Scientology Doc (Deadline)
September 13: Going Clear Emmy Sweep (Mike Rinder)
Alex Gibney & Lawrence Wright At The Creative Arts Emmy® Awards:

Alex Gibney at the Creative Arts Emmy® Awards Red Carpet #67thEmmys #Emmys #CreativeArtsEmmys
September 19:
[url=http://popdust.com/2015/09/19/scientology-bullying-intimidation-cinema-going-clear/#slide1]Church Of Scientology Accused Of Bullying & Intimidating A Clearwater Cinema
(Pop Dust)

Scientology Film Going Clear Just Ran Into A Huge Problem In Florida[/url] (Cinema Blend)
September 20: How the Church of Scientology Fought the Internet & Why it Lost (Kernal Mag)
September 21: UK Sees Going Clear Tonight on Sky Atlantic (The Underground Bunker)
Scientology Still Trying to Stop People From Seeing Going Clear (AV Club)
Hotseat: Tony Ortega, A Longtime Critic of Scientology, Visits the Church's Victory City (WWeek Portland)

September 22: Sky Scientology Doc Recruits 90,000 (Broadcastnow)
Scientology Doc Going Clear Draws 88,000 Overnight Viewers on UK's Sky (The Hollywood Reporter)
September 24: Leah Remini Writing Tell-All Book About Scientology (Exclaim)
September 27: John Sweeney: Scientologist Stalker Drove Me to Public Meltdown But Now We're Best Friends (Daily Express)