Advanced Search

Author Topic: Podcasts About Korean Cults  (Read 6061 times)

March 16, 2015, 08:16:42 PM
Read 6061 times

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Podcasts About Korean Cults
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
I was recently invited by the kind and friendly Cafe Seoul podcast crew to speak about my interest and experiences with cults. My segment starts at the 41:40 mark and continues through to the end. We recorded for about an hour all up, and the time absolutely flew by. The hour felt like a few minutes, and I would have happily continued on all night^. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but certainly some parts were edited due to time constraints. I just skimmed through it and the parts that made it in including my first experiences with JMS, my motivations for starting this site, recent threats issued by JMS leadership in Korea, some experiences with the Shinchonji cult, and the positives that make putting up with threats worth it^:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/cafeseoul/2015-03-12-307-personality-of-cult

March 28, 2015, 09:17:52 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Re: Podcasts About Korean Cults
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
And I just recorded another (longer) podcast with Debbie form http://guruethics.net/

It is available at the above link and at this link.

We spoke for about an hour and, once again, the time flew by. I realized it's hard going into a podcast with hopes to talk about several cults.

There are just too many side streets to explore. As soon as we finished, I started thinking about all the things I didn't get around to mentioning. In this latest podcast, I didn't mention JMS threats, the large Shinchonji events and their cast of VIPS (I had a list in front of me^), and Shinichi Suzuki didn't get mentioned at all. Beggars can't be choosers, but ideally - and I guess I could just record them myself - a podcast dedicated to a specific group is the best way to go: one just about JMS, one just about Jungshim, one just about Shinchonji, one just about the Sewol disaster and AHAE, one just about North Korean defectors, one just about Scientology, and even one just about Shinichi Suzuki. For starters.

Having said that, it was an absolute pleasure and an honor to sit down and chat to Debbie about my second favorite (behind music) subject. While we talked about some serious shit (rape, murder, and sociopaths), we both - I think I can speak for her - enjoyed the experience and had a few laughs along the way at some of the absurdities. Hopefully, that was just our first collaboration. And I did manage to give a few dishonorable mentions to Michael Nyman; the London Symphony Orchestra; and Commander Simon Foy (retired), former Head of Homicide and Serious Crimes at Scotland Yard for their support of Korean organised crime.

April 04, 2015, 08:20:09 AM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
One more coming up. Unfortunately, this one starts at 3 am Korean time. Well, at least the JMS guys and gals will be awake then if they want to listen.

April 09, 2015, 07:16:51 AM
Reply #3

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:16:51 AM »
Well that was quite a surreal experience recording a 2-hour podcast from 3 am on a Monday morning. I have to admit it wasn't the best way to start the working week ;). Wow, it was sure interesting. A former Scientologist who now helps out at Families Against Cult Teachings shared some of his thoughts and insights. Diego and Jessica talked about their experiences, and Diego talked about elements of beliefs I had never considered before.

We have all been invited back for individual interviews so I guess another 3 am start to the week is on the cards.  :o

The audio should be up soon for those interested and willing to sit through the two hours.

As I said, 3 am is an awful time to start doing anything apart from sleeping. I tried getting some sleep beforehand, but sleep wasn't interested. I took a 1:30 am stroll and returned home an hour later with three red bulls:

April 24, 2015, 08:23:52 PM
Reply #4

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »
47 minutes of the above mentioned podcast is up on YouTube. I'm not sure if it's the first half or just edited highlights. I hate listening to myself, so I'm not up for checking. I could ask though.

EOF on Cult Awareness

Update: The video is no longer available. Some of the parties had a wee falling out. I wasn't involved but did have a funny feeling about two of other participants. Long story which I have only read about with a passing interest as there are too many other cults and people on my radar^. I enjoyed the doing the podcast though despite a few "WTF are they talking about" moments and despite the fact we began at 3 am Korean time on a Monday morning.

August 12, 2015, 05:02:58 PM
Reply #5

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Fellow Korean-based cult watcher Jon Dunbar appeared on The Korea File blog a few months ago talking about one of our favorite subjects:
http://www.spreaker.com/user/koreamoments/jon-dunbar-on-koreas-cults

March 11, 2016, 01:55:01 PM
Reply #7

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
Here's a podcast from last year that I neglected to post here. That's very unlike me. 2015 was a year in which I made quite a lot of connections with some really wonderful people who share my interest in cults and predators. Janaki is one such person. We've done a few podcasts together now, but this is the first in which it was just me and her. We actually recorded one earlier, but the quality of the resulting audio file was too low for some reason. We rescheduled for Monday, November 30. Unfortunately, her Netherland-based show airs live from 3 or 4 am Korean time depending on the time of the year. Both those times are very, very bad. So if I sound half asleep, which is how I felt, that's why. The experience did, however, give me an inkling as to what it's like to be a sleep-deprived cult member. If any JMS members are reading this: sleep is important!

http://www.sacredradio.com/#!peter-daley/hgglb
https://www.mixcloud.com/janaki28/peter-daley-talks-about-his-life-in-korea-and-the-jms-cult/

Peter Daley is an Australian who has been living in Korea since 2003. He currently works as an English teacher at a university in Seoul. His first year in Korea brought him into close contact with a cult that was later described in the media as one of the most notorious in Asia. Since little was known about the JMS cult outside of Korea at the time, Peter began collecting information about the cult and its leader who was at the time wanted by Korean authorities and Interpol on numerous rape charges. An interest in one rather obscure Korean cult naturally led to an interest in others, and over the next twelve years Peter has built and continues to build his website which contains the most amount of information on several lesser-known Korean cults. Peter has observed and recorded numerous events held by several cults, liaised with numerous former members and their family members, and initiated and assisted with journalist investigations. Peter recently assisted with his first family-centered intervention in September 2013, which was successful, with an Australian JMS member from his hometown of Canberra. Peter is a member of the International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA), and presented at its 2014 Washington DC conference on the expansion tactics of four criminal Korean cults. In 2014, Peter began volunteering with the Teach North Korean Refugees program and has assisted several refugees prepare speeches about their lives in and their escape from North Korea.

June 25, 2016, 01:20:56 PM
Reply #8

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
The good crew of Pirate Radio Podcast invited me on-board for a 90-minute chat last week about the usual suspects: North Korea, the JMS cult; Ahae, the alter-ego of the dead cult leader and owner of the Sewol ferry, British police officers endorsing Korean cults, and the rise Shinchonji:

http://space-pirate-radio.podomatic.com/entry/2016-06-18T10_27_43-07_00