Advanced Search

Author Topic: Family Member in Providence  (Read 155 times)

September 04, 2014, 12:00:20 AM
Read 155 times

Offline bsballnut87

• Lunch

• View Profile
Family Member in Providence
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »
Hello All,
I found this site a few months ago, but just joined. I have a family member that has been involved with Providence Church now for approximately a year and a half. They first were approached while abroad in Australia and are now involved here in the US in California. Does anyone have any advice on questions to ask or how to approach them? I've been going through the lessons with them, having done the first 3 thus far.

Thanks all for your help.

September 09, 2014, 05:40:10 AM
Reply #1

Offline noMoreJMS

• Lunch

• View Profile
Re: Family Member in Providence
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »
I had to talk my friend who became my girlfriend and then my wife out of Providence when I realised it was wrong.

I think a smart and constructive approach is best. Dont let emotion get in the way.

Become fully clued up and just present the facts. Ensure you do it away from other members where they have the chance to sway and fight against you with their nonsense.

I think knowing the bible studies and paying attention to suspicious things, including inconsistencies helps a lot.

A short testimony of what I went through can be found here

http://jmscult.com/forum/index.php?topic=824.0

Dont be afriad to collect hard cold evidence, and present it so its obvious that it is flawed when it claims it is perfect.

Not to mention all the extra dodgey behavior that is carried out by the leader.

Finally - dont forget they are taught that people will tell them its a cult, its wrong etc. So they are trained to shun anything that challenges what they think. Which is a strong sign of a cult in itself!!

September 09, 2014, 02:09:03 PM
Reply #2

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »
Thanks for that. I'll send you his email as well. A few of us have been exchanging emails...

October 01, 2014, 07:43:13 PM
Reply #3

Offline bsballnut87

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your response. It is still an ongoing thing that I don't foresee ending anytime soon. But its been good because it's getting me to examine my Bible and know God's word more! Sharpening the sword for spiritual warfare.

March 02, 2015, 08:19:00 PM
Reply #4

Offline etereys

• Lunch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
Hi guys.

This is just to extend a small hand, but I was in the church for 2 active years and 4 inactive (conditioning?) years before officially joining, due to military service.  I officially left Providence in 2003, but moved away from all members across the country in 2002.  I live in the US, and you are welcome to message me privately or we can exchange posts here in the trusted sensitive section, whichever works.

I've been on this site since 2003 when Peter set this site up, way back when Captain Porridge was the nickname used. ;)  I don't come here too frequently, but I do check up with it every now and then.