Advanced Search

Author Topic: In Defense of Mr. Byungeun Yoo and the Evangelical Baptist Church (Guwonpa)  (Read 26085 times)

June 12, 2014, 03:44:23 AM
Read 26085 times

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Hi, my name is Oscar and I am a member of the Evangelical Baptist Church (dubbed Guwonpa). I wanted to start a thread in defense of Mr. Byungeun Yoo and the Evangelical Baptist Church . I would like to clarify that Oscar is not my legal name.. I have a Korean name but would prefer not to use it as I do not wish for my private life to be targeted upon the S. Korean press.

I can't help expressing the feeling of disgrace having to write in a forum that discusses us on the level of JMS, but the prosecutors and press of S. Korea have already disgraced us and created us into a living monster and just leaving it alone would definitely keep us that way - especially to the English speakers who barely have any access to our side of the story - which is why I've decided to step up (or should I say step down) and start this thread.

I first came out to the Evangelical Baptist Church when I was in 3rd grade elementary in Korea. I have listened to countless sermons by Pastor Kwon, Byungeun Yoo and others. I have spoken directly to Mr. Byungeun Yoo on a few occasions and translated for him randomly on one occasion... I volunteer during church meetings and events. I also had a rare chance to volunteer with the photo exhibitions in NY as well and have lots of friends working in church member related companies so I feel more or less comfortable to discuss most matters on the news.

You could say I am a firm believer - of the Bible of course, but I am no preacher or evangelist. I am just a regular member of the church like most other people within the church. I will leave facts that I know of and the truth about the church, Mr. Yoo and his family in this thread. Whether I am a brainwashed member of a dangerous cult or not I will leave upon the readers to decide.

In summary, the S. Korean prosecutors, news media and witnesses against Mr. Byungeun Yoo and the church have literally made us into a cult, a secluded and dangerous group that follows the leader who knows nothing but money while brainwashing its believers. They have created an image of Mr. Yoo and the church as the source behind the 32 O-dae-yang deaths and the main cause of the 300+ Sewol ferry deaths. We are depicted as evil people who distort the teachings of the Bible, who spy and death threaten people who speak against us, and do things illegal for monetary gains.

I would clearly like to announce and truly say that these allegations are completely false and are completely opposite of what is shown on TV or in the news. We keep our faith in the Bible and we would do nothing illegal for our personal or public gains. We have raised our voice and concerns relentlessly but only a very few tend to listen and much, much less is publicly announced or mentioned in the news.

The whole frame is highly political. We already have bad, false impressions from the O-dae-yang case from 27 years ago, even though it was concluded "no connections". There are people who would gladly go out in public to speak against us. We are non-violent and mostly quiet and innocent people who would care less about politics. Overall, we are a very good prime target for the government to use and abuse during any national domestic threat towards the S. Korean government.

The Sewol tragedy itself brought huge blames on the Coast Guard, government and President Park. There could not be any further need to blame things on someone else. First they attempted to tie Mr. Yoo directly to the ferry incident. They succeeded to dub him as "the actual owner of Cheonghaejin" - someone who has no shares and has no legal control of the company whatsoever. Now, they claim he is a greedy person involved in misappropriation, embezzlement, money laundering and tax evasion. None of this is true and the prosecutors know it since they have all the bank records and when they make lies this far, they have to keep up and continue, capture him and put him behind bars for anything they can, even if they have to forge evidence, as was in the case of O-dae-yang.

I assure you the prosecutors are in a position to continually create bad news and stories to keep the public interested and angry against the church and Mr. Yoo instead of the government. Yesterday's raid of the church in Anseong with more than 6,000 police and prosecutors was just a mere show. Why would you send over 6,000 police to get through less than 400 scattered and mostly peaceful church members inside? Why would prosecutors take naps, together, on official duty during the largest church raid in police history? (update: nap was 3 hours) Because they have nothing really to investigate!

I will detail more things as they come up.

I apologize for my unstructured writing but I will continue to write on behalf of our innocence. Whether it is the allegations that we are a cult and Mr. Yoo is a corrupt leader, or suspicions with the photography business, and any illegal issues brought up, I will clearly reveal to the best of my knowledge.

My native language is Korean and definitely feel more comfortable with it than English... please excuse me if my writings are not clear. I won't be posting every day but I'll try to make it every now and then to clarify things. If you have any questions or doubts about our organization, please feel free to ask.

Many of our basic civil and religious rights have been severely violated... but when the government is after you and creates a bad public reputation of you to the whole country, our options are very, very extremely limited. I hope this thread can at least show our innocence for those who want to know the actual truth.

June 12, 2014, 08:04:52 AM
Reply #1

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
I can't help expressing the feeling of disgrace having to write in a forum that discusses us on the level of JMS,
Welcome Oscar, and thanks for taking the time to post here. Yes, I can understand your feelings about being grouped with JMS. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a more generic url name, but JMS did start this interest for me, and given there's really no doubt it is a cult, jmscult.com seemed like a good idea at the time.

Certainly from what I've read, and although I am skeptical of Yoo, I wouldn't quite put him in the same league as JMS.

I have a few questions, mainly for my own curiosity as opposed to questions that perhaps may be more important.
First of all, what are your thoughts on the enormous sums of money that Yoo spent in Paris? There are reports that he spent millions of euros on various exhibitions, projects, and symphonies, all essentially in his honor. Some of the French articles (and I did too) compared that to the pocket change ($500) that the ferry company, allegedly under the Yoo's control, spent on crew training in 2013. Certainly the funds were there to make his ferries the safest in the world, yet it does sound like safety wasn't his main priority.

Since you did mention Yoo's sermons as a preacher, do you not think it strange that his biography on www.ahae.com makes no mention of his religious life? I'm also curious about the 2.7 million photos in 4 years he took from the same room at your church's retreat. I did the math, and that amounts to one a minute assuming he did nothing else for those four years including sleep. If we factor in sleep, we're looking at a photo around every 40 seconds. What are your thoughts on that claim? Has anyone in your church to your knowledge felt that claim was false or at least exaggerated ?

And I guess the big one is, what are you thoughts on Yoo's decision to go into hiding? Before he went into hiding, he made a statement via his now ex-lawyer, his only statement I believe, that he would cooperate with authorities.

Also, what is Yoo's current role/position in the church? One editorial a few days ago said members view him as a god. While that does sound nuts, it's not uncommon, and there are certainly more than a few Korean and non-Korean church leaders who make such claims. And given earlier threats by members in Korea to kill themselves and more recently the expressed willingness for thousands of members to go to jail in defense of Yoo, I think it's safe to assume his position in the church is quite an important one.

Thanks again, and I certainly appreciate this isn't an easy time for you.

June 12, 2014, 08:12:28 AM
Reply #2

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
Dear Oscar,

thank you for your decision to write a short contribution. Please be assured that your personal dignity is very important to the people who are critical of Mr. Yoo and his organization. I am not an expert for Mr. Yoo and his biography, so I would like to ask you something: As far as I learned from the media, Mr. Yoo was in 1992, convicted of "habitual fraud under the mask of religion" and then spent four years in prison. I wonder if you could provide me with some more detail what the allegations against Mr. Yoo were, and what the defense position was -- that is to say, in how far the single points in the verdict were unjustified. You write "I hope this thread can at least show our innocence for those who want to know the actual truth". I am quite convinced about your personal innocence, and I hope we can use this opportunity to talk about the truth and the details of Mr. Yoo's biography.

Best regards, Edgar.

June 12, 2014, 02:07:06 PM
Reply #3

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Before starting out, I'd like to mention that my answers are not really the official answer of the church, respective companies, nor of Mr. Yoo. I will try to be careful but I do not know everything so please take my answers as my own opinion. I don't think I can refute all claims properly and entirely and if I make any incorrect replies or supply inaccurate information, I will solely take the blame of it.

The questions you asked will take a good chunk out of my time so I will try to answer them one by one as time permits.

First of all, what are your thoughts on the enormous sums of money that Yoo spent in Paris? There are reports that he spent millions of euros on various exhibitions, projects, and symphonies, all essentially in his honor.

I think the funds spent in Paris was a pure business decision made by the supporting company or companies. If they had the purpose, means and opportunity to do it, why wouldn't they? The "Ahae" brand image and concept that I see formed is top class and the series of events are on par with it. I think it is the brand that the company is solidifying, not necessarily the person.

Some of the French articles (and I did too) compared that to the pocket change ($500) that the ferry company, allegedly under the Yoo's control, spent on crew training in 2013. Certainly the funds where there to make his ferries the safest in the world, yet it does sound like safety wasn't his main priority.

As far as I understand, Mr. Yoo does not have any shares, nor does not have any involvement in the ferry company management. Your question (or the media's) is based on an assumption that Mr. Yoo is in control of everything which is, in reality, just not true. The prosecutors claim they have proof, an employee number and organization chart.. I do not know if this is true but I don't think this will be enough evidence to tie someone who knows nothing about how the ferry company runs.

Any issues with Cheonghaejin, the ferry company, should be answered by the CEO of the ferry company, Hanshik Kim and he should be the one held accountable for any faults within the company. The events in Paris are run by Ahae Press, a completely different entity.  The question, at least to me, sounds like the media is blaming Samsung for LG spending too little on safety, or maybe questioning Samsung's semiconductor business' expenses because Samsung's ship business spent too little on safety?, with either not making any sense at all.

In fact, I think that going after the shareholders of the ferry company is a ridiculous thing in the first place... isn't a share based corporation a company where management and ownership is separate? Of course shareholders can have some influence but any legal responsibility goes directly to management, doesn't it? Why is it even going beyond the shareholders to someone who does not have shares nor is involved in management?

The only reason I can see is a nasty political intent and faulty religious based speculative discrimination here... a speculation that assumes Mr. Yoo is a leader of a cult and everyone under him obeys what he says. This speculation is just too wrong. We are a pure biblical layman's church, nothing close to any cult, and anyone who speaks of the Bible accurately has a voice within the church. Mr. Yoo is a highly respected person in that sense... if another person comes along with a similar level and proper knowledge of the Bible, that person can also receive respect as well, no question.

If you are up with current news, you will find that the prosecutors have changed their focus and are now concentrating on the corruption of Mr. Yoo and family instead of trying to link them directly to the Sewol accident. The prosecutors say they have embezzled enormous amounts... but I think this is another tactic of the prosecutors to falsify their image. For a fair report, I think they should announce how much of that money actually went into their pockets and if they paid their income tax on that or not. We are in the age of lawyers and CPAs... I doubt the court will find anything against them but who knows? Something like the results of O-dae-yang is almost certain to happen.

It's taking a lot of time to answer these questions...  I will try to answer more next time...

June 12, 2014, 02:12:53 PM
Reply #4

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Dear Oscar,

thank you for your decision to write a short contribution. Please be assured that your personal dignity is very important to the people who are critical of Mr. Yoo and his organization. I am not an expert for Mr. Yoo and his biography, so I would like to ask you something: As far as I learned from the media, Mr. Yoo was in 1992, convicted of "habitual fraud under the mask of religion" and then spent four years in prison. I wonder if you could provide me with some more detail what the allegations against Mr. Yoo were, and what the defense position was -- that is to say, in how far the single points in the verdict were unjustified. You write "I hope this thread can at least show our innocence for those who want to know the actual truth". I am quite convinced about your personal innocence, and I hope we can use this opportunity to talk about the truth and the details of Mr. Yoo's biography.

Best regards, Edgar.

Hi Edgar, I have heard public comments on how unfair this trial was and the results were but I do not know the exact details of the case. I will try to look up things that I can find on the internet and maybe try to reach out to someone who knows more but obviously will take a lot of time. I will try to get back to you on this as I want to know more about the details myself as well.

I just want to mention that his imprisonment was the second trial of a case where he was previously ruled not guilty. I heard this was against a fundamental court principal that a person cannot be trialed again with the same charges of a case that has been closed? Also, on tv a few days ago, I remember one of our members saying there were no actual plaintiffs or victims of fraud present during that trial. I will have to look into this more.

June 12, 2014, 11:42:28 PM
Reply #5

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Since you did mention Yoo's sermons as a preacher, do you not think it strange that his biography on www.ahae.com makes no mention of his religious life?

I did mention he gave sermons or lectures on the Bible. I am not quite sure if that makes him a preacher though...  if you asked me if Pastor Kwon is a preacher, I would agree because that was pretty much his full-time job, giving sermons, counselling for people and leading the church. On the other hand, Mr. Yoo is not quite the same... if you just listened to his biblical lectures, you would think that he is a preacher but if you think about it, during the times he did give lectures, it was once a week on a Saturday night. Did he provide biblical counselling or preach the Bible during the rest of his time? Did he act or perform tasks like a pastor or priest? The answer is no. He was normally caught up with his own business, busy developing products or putting ideas into works. And then, there were longer periods of times where he did not give any lectures on the Bible at all. For the past 5 (or more I think) years or so, I can't even recall a lecture where he opened his Bible and spoke about it... I think the description on Ahae.com website describes his titles accurately enough.

If there was no mention of his religious life, I think it would've been for people to take a look at his pictures without any religious sense or prejudice - especially for Koreans. I can't recall exactly right now, but I think there were some articles that mentioned his christian background.

I'm also curious about the 2.7 million photos in 4 years he took from the same room at your church's retreat. I did the math, and that amounts to one a minute assuming he did nothing else for those four years including sleep. If we factor in sleep, we're looking at a photo around every 40 seconds. What are your thoughts on that claim? Has anyone in your church to your knowledge felt that claim was false or at least exaggerated ?

There were absolutely no false claims or exaggeration about his taking those photos. They were all genuinely taken by himself and everyone who visits Geumsuwon (the whole farm facility) regularly knows about it. I don't think anyone is allowed to enter his studio other than his assistant who swaps out the memory cards for archival. I had the chance to see people reviewing the daily photos with Mr. Yoo once. I don't think they were able to go through all of them. It is quite amazing for a person in his seventies to physically perform a task like that, but it is all true and those photos - and timestamps - are the proof. Some skeptical people say that he must've hired younger guys to take photos for him or people claim he just shot them in burst (burst mode in high end cameras are 5+ frames per second these days) but none of that is true.

I think I have made it clear about the photography works. I will continue on with the other questions later...

June 13, 2014, 04:20:42 AM
Reply #6

Offline neutral

• View Profile
Where to start.. how about a quote from the Bible (Romans 13)

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is Godís minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is Godís minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscienceí sake

And you said:
...and anyone who speaks of the Bible accurately has a voice within the church. Mr. Yoo is a highly respected person in that sense

You say he is respected due to speaking the bible accurately, but in fact he disobeys its words. Perhaps we should say "follow the words of the bible except when our own interests take precedent."

I'll leave the bible aside for now, except to mention what we know it says about wealth (serving two masters etc.) and how this relates to the huge amounts of money the Yoo family have accumulated. Whether they have done that legitimately we do not know.

As far as I understand, Mr. Yoo does not have any shares, nor does not have any involvement in the ferry company management. Your question (or the media's) is based on an assumption that Mr. Yoo is in control of everything which is, in reality, just not true. The prosecutors claim they have proof, an employee number and organization chart.. I do not know if this is true but I don't think this will be enough evidence to tie someone who knows nothing about how the ferry company runs.

He is thought to be the "de facto" owner of the company, meaning he is effectively the one who makes the decisions, as opposed to the "de jure" owner (concerning the law).

Now, we don't know if this is true, but there is quite a lot to suggest that it is. You mentioned a few points, but there are more. The employee who was in charge of the refitting of the Sewol (including an exhibition hall for Yoo's photos) testified that Yoo was directing it. Kim Han-shik (the CEO of Chonghaejin) also said that he warned Yoo about the instability of the ferry, and advised him to sell it off. There's also the matter of Yoo receiving a large (15,000 USD / month) salary from Chonghaejin.

It's clear that Yoo has at least some involvement with Chonghaejin. Whether it is enough to hold him at all responsible for the safety issues which led to the sinking, we also do not know, but he should at least be questioned. Of course this is difficult now as he fled, after earlier stating that he would co-operate.

I also know that EBC's (the church) position regarding the accident, rather than trying to distance Yoo from the company, has mainly focussed on assigning the blame for the deaths to the failed coastguard rescue mission, and creating, in my opinion, wild conspiracy theories regarding torpedos or a collision with a submarine. This has all been done in an attempt to deflect blame away from the company.

The reality is that the safety standards on the ferry were incredibly poor and the crew poorly trained; these were at best, contributing factors toward the accident, and at worst, the main cause.

The only reason I can see is a nasty political intent and faulty religious based speculative discrimination here... a speculation that assumes Mr. Yoo is a leader of a cult and everyone under him obeys what he says. This speculation is just too wrong. We are a pure biblical layman's church, nothing close to any cult, and anyone who speaks of the Bible accurately has a voice within the church. Mr. Yoo is a highly respected person in that sense... if another person comes along with a similar level and proper knowledge of the Bible, that person can also receive respect as well, no question.

Mr Yoo may not be the leader of a cult, but there is certainly a cult-like devotion to him. You yourself believe he can do no wrong, and refuse to believe any piece of evidence against him.

If you are up with current news, you will find that the prosecutors have changed their focus and are now concentrating on the corruption of Mr. Yoo and family instead of trying to link them directly to the Sewol accident. The prosecutors say they have embezzled enormous amounts... but I think this is another tactic of the prosecutors to falsify their image. For a fair report, I think they should announce how much of that money actually went into their pockets and if they paid their income tax on that or not. We are in the age of lawyers and CPAs... I doubt the court will find anything against them but who knows? Something like the results of O-dae-yang is almost certain to happen.

Mr Yoo, as you know, served 4 years in prison for, and I quote (from wikipedia which has a source)

"habitual fraud under the mask of religion" for his role in colluding with one of his employees to collect donations from church members in the amount of ₩1.2 billion (~US$1.15 million) and invest them in his businesses. He served a 4-year prison term.

Now I suppose you will say that he is innocent, and that he was framed, or the evidence planted. But let me ask you this - if the prosecution / government in control at the time had wanted to falsely convict him of something, why didn't they create false evidence linking him to the Odeyang murders instead, which would have been far worse? Instead he was cleared of this, but convicted of a financially related crime.

What makes you so sure he is innocent, of everything?

June 13, 2014, 06:16:32 AM
Reply #7

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
Dear Oscar,

I will try to look up things that I can find on the internet and maybe try to reach out to someone who knows more but obviously will take a lot of time. I will try to get back to you on this as I want to know more about the details myself as well.

thank you very much. I appreciate your sincerity and I am looking forward to your reply.

I have yesterday also taken a few minutes to research the issue and I found that the allegations are in fact quite serious:

Before the workers and leaders of the Odaeyang cult died, the company Odaeyang Trading transferred almost all of its capital to Mr. Yoo's shipping company, that is, about 17 million US Dollars.

This of course gives the impression that the leaders of Odaeyang were either religiously devoted to Mr. Yoo, or blackmailed/threatened into making this transfer, or even both.

To the outsider, this of course gives a very bad impression, and I hope that we can use this occasion to take a more detailed look at the evidence and clear up some possible misunderstandings.

By the way, if you need any assistance, in this or any other matter, please let me know.

With my best regards,

Edgar.

June 13, 2014, 12:34:36 PM
Reply #8

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
I think I have made it clear about the photography works. I will continue on with the other questions later...
Thanks for responding. While I think I'll have to remain skeptical about the sheer number of photographs taken, I appreciate your response.

I don't want you to feel you're getting bombarded with questions (I do have more, but I think I'll save them until later), but I just read this article and am curious how it relates to where you are and your own feelings.
There are two major religious bodies in the sect. Members of one body reportedly advocate that Yoo should be brought to justice for the purpose of protecting the property and the sect itself. The second, whose name roughly translates as Layperson Evangelical Mission, claims adherents should help Yoo evade arrest.

Most of the followers who have been charged are known to have come from the latter entity. At the initial stage of the investigation, Yoo reportedly ordered Lee Jae-ok, his key aide, to disband the first group who attempted to distance themselves from Yoo.

I guess the first paragraph is more relevant and more believable as perhaps some may be inclined to discount the reported order in the second paragraph. It's certainly believable that some members of the church would disagree with Yoo's decision to become a fugitive. Has there been any discussion/disagreement about that in your church? And what are your thoughts on that?

June 13, 2014, 11:22:23 PM
Reply #9

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Thanks for responding. While I think I'll have to remain skeptical about the sheer number of photographs taken, I appreciate your response.

I guess you would need to actually see the archived files with the metadata showing the date and time of the photos taken? The files are there, the exhibition photos are a tiny sample of it. I won't explain any further on this, and I don't think I even need to.

June 14, 2014, 01:05:56 AM
Reply #10

Offline oopark

• View Profile
Hello neutral,

That is a whole lot of questions there. I'm not sure if I can make all my answers reasonable to you, or others, but I'll just try what I can. I think I will be able to cover Peter's question on my thoughts of Mr. Yoo's hiding while on it.

Thanks for your reminder on Romans 13. I am quite sure everyone knows what that means, including Mr. Yoo. I don't think he will be hiding forever.. I think he will come out sooner or later, but right now is definitely not the right time. I will try to explain this more further down the line.

I feel the urge to refute every misunderstanding I see, but I feel that it will turn out pointless and almost impossible because all the information released during the investigation was in favor of the prosecutors and the government. In addition to that, with the bit and pieces the prosecutors throw out, the reporters have to create a story, a convincing yet provocative one so that readers will be engaged. How can I possibly go through and refute all of them? I can't... but at least I will try to make some points understandable.

I thought prosecutors were people who bring criminals to justice and uphold the law. Unfortunately, I have never been so disappointed by the South Korean prosecutors who release their investigation in favor of the government. I strongly feel that (maybe not all but) the S. Korean prosecutors are highly used as a political front for the government.

For EBC's stance, I know that they mentioned that if there is any fault with the ferry company, the company would have to be responsible... if there is blame to take, the company should bear it. I completely agree....  but there are also so many unanswered questions on the rescue efforts and investigation. The wild conspiracy theories are around everywhere and I don't believe much of those either but I think every effort should be made to clear doubts, leaving no stones unturned.

The prosecutors have pretty much wrapped up the investigation and the cause of the accident. All this in about a month without even hauling the ship back up. I don't think the investigation is complete... the families of the victims and more than one million people are crying out for the truth. The government is so not cooperating and is in a clear cover up position upon these requests. We want to know the exact truth and when that is clarified, the involved will and should take responsibility as required.

Going back to your last question, What makes me so sure he is innocent of everything?

I will try to summarize my personal stance on this answer into 4 parts.

First, on a biblical point of view,

1. Mr. Yoo has a very good understanding of the Bible.
2. He sets an example as a christian, not just by words but with action.
-> His faith in the Bible would not allow misdoings. (the fugitive issue I get to later)

Second, on a non-biblical point of view,

1. He has genuine thoughts on healthy eating and living, exercise, nature preservation.
2. He put his thoughts into action and applies those concepts into his own life.
3. He has spent many decades of continuous efforts, experiments, personal sacrifice, advice, support and encouragement to continue and establish these concepts into reality along with other people.
4. These efforts were not just for himself or for followers or for church members, but for everyone.
5. He lives in the corner of a steel warehouse-like building. He does not live in extravagance nor in luxury.
-> He is not a selfish and greedy man going after money.

Third, my personal understanding,

1. I believe he has a much active and clearer conscience than myself or most other people I know of. (In comparison, I am a person who received citizenship awards when I was little, I have a clean driving record, I never crossed red lights late night during my first 7 years of driving while in Korea when everyone else just passes through, I fulfilled my 26 months of Korean army duty even though I could avoid it.)
2. He hates corruption, is very independent and does not accept favors for any shady reasons.
3. He loves and takes pride of his home country and always wishes the best for it. (Though I am not sure if this stands true for him now.)
4. He is a very diligent person, incomparable to me, making the most out of his limited time.
5. He always encourages people, young and old, to learn languages, to study and improve personal skills and capacity.
-> He would not conduct anything illegal.

Am I brainwashed? I am just explaining what I saw, heard, experienced and felt, as it is, through these past many years.

Last but not least, is the Odaeyang incident.

The Sewol investigation prosecutor updates and press releases are very much a replica of Odaeyang.

Let's look at a few allegations headlined at that time:
(I will add newspaper links that I can find later on these)

1. EBC (Guwonpa) and Mr. Yoo are a cult.
2. Falsified ex-Guwonpa testimonies (Dongseop Jung and Myunghwan Tak before, Now same Mr. Jung, Chung Lee/Sookja Lee and others)
3. Guwonpa and Mr. Yoo are behind the deaths of the tragedy.
4. Guwonpa related actors and celebreties (Yangja Jeon and others and their intimate relationship)
5. Odaeyang funds going into Semo / Mr. Yoo's embezzlement of funds. (Now spread to family and church members)
6. Allegations of political ties and protection from high officials.
7. Women managing his funds and improper relationships with women.

All sounds very similar to the Sewol investigation, doesn't it? Which part of 1 to 7 is true or was proved to be true back in 1991? The Odaeyang incident was investigated 3 times but all concluded suicidal. None of these allegations, ties of corruption, acts of embezzlement and adultery were proved to be true but they are still all over the internet as if they are.

Mr. Yoo, at that time, was asked by the prosecutors to cooperate with the Odaeyang investigations, assuring him he was innocent and had no connection to it. However, he was arrested at the pinpoint of the investigation and sentenced to jail for something else, making it look like he was arrested for Odaeyang. 

After this case, we are remembered to everyone as a cult and the organization behind the 32 deaths of Odaeyang.

What are my thoughts of Mr. Yoo hiding away as a fugitive?

It's the same story... the prosecutors and Korean press are digging the same grave for Mr. Yoo as they did 23 years ago. This time, instead of being pushed into the grave to be buried, it seems he has decided to evade the first and most critical blow.

The story is a bit different but the plot is the same. What would you do if you were in his shoes? If I knew I was innocent and had a good idea of what was going to happen, I would definitely avoid being pushed into that grave. 

Some people very strongly insist that, if he is innocent, he should accept the investigation and claim his innocence. I do not agree to this at all. After the prosecutors cuff him and put him behind bars during the investigation, what kind of information or investigation results do you think the prosecutors will present to the press? With President Park (and Kichoon Kim behind) already condemning him as a criminal, will the prosecutors say against it or for it? Will he be able to voice his own innocence behind bars through the prosecutor's mouth? With no attorneys willing to take the case?

With the government pressing so hard and the media bashing Mr. Yoo as if he was the biggest criminal of all time, do you think a fair trial would be possible even by the court? Which judge would uphold the law equally and without prejudice when the whole government and nation is watching you and expecting the maximum penalty possible?

This is a totally unfair case with irrepairable damage already done....

In summary, he is either one of the most innocent, honest and upright person in the world OR he is the one of the biggest con-artist and evil villains in history.

With all the lies that I see, hear and notice over the news, I have no hesitation to jump for his innocence.

Even though I explained the gist of it, I have no doubt that there will still be people furious about my replies... the prosecutors and media have actually brainwashed everyone who reads the news and accepts it as true. I do not expect for everyone to be on my side, but I truly and sincerely beg everyone to take a step back to further look into the truth, or at least try to see what our point of view is, instead of accepting everything that is on the news without filtering.

I've just noticed there are translations of the official announcements directly from the church and interviews of related people IN ENGLISH. Please refer to the English articles to learn more about the TRUTH.

Official TELC/Evangelical Baptist Church/Guwonpa Website in English

Since the official news and our position is updated there, I will back out my participation in these forums... I apologize, but this is just taking way too much out of my time...

June 14, 2014, 01:31:35 AM
Reply #11

Offline oopark

• View Profile

I have yesterday also taken a few minutes to research the issue and I found that the allegations are in fact quite serious:

Before the workers and leaders of the Odaeyang cult died, the company Odaeyang Trading transferred almost all of its capital to Mr. Yoo's shipping company, that is, about 17 million US Dollars.

This of course gives the impression that the leaders of Odaeyang were either religiously devoted to Mr. Yoo, or blackmailed/threatened into making this transfer, or even both.

To the outsider, this of course gives a very bad impression, and I hope that we can use this occasion to take a more detailed look at the evidence and clear up some possible misunderstandings.

Edgar, this is one clear example how the truth is distorted and how it remains over the media and internet.

The 17M dollars is the amount the Odaeyang people borrowed from others to use for their operations and the majority was spent for their own living and to pay interest on those loans, probably to borrow more money. To further detail the truth, there were business transactions between Odaeyang and Semo, I read it was for legitimate business for importing goods, and the court found no transfer links to tie Semo or Mr. Yoo to the Odaeyang case at all. It seems there was a connection, I can't deny that, but it has been severely distorted just as you have read.

How can a small business transaction turn into transferring all its funds to Mr. Yoo's Semo company? I do not know but there is definitely someone making up stories with an evil intent.

I will try to get back to you on the fraud case details but again, I find it very, very difficult to reply to all allegations and misinformation from the news (Note: Wikipedia is based on these news articles, too)... Look at me right now.. I am attempting to clear up messes from 23 years ago... how am I supposed to deal with the even 100x more lies coming out now? I can only shout out his innocence, which people barely listen to, and whether to believe it or not is up to you.

June 14, 2014, 01:37:34 AM
Reply #12

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site

Since the official news and our position is updated there, I will back out my participation in these forums... I apologize, but this is just taking way too much out of my time...
Thanks for the taking the time to post the replies you did, especially the longer one which I can appreciate took some time.  And thanks for that link. I wasn't aware of that site. And you're always welcome to post here.

I just spent the last 30 minutes listening to parts of the English sermons that were/are on the Korean site http://www.ebcworld.org I'll post a few excerpts over the weekend. If you're still around, do you know if those sermons were delivered by Mr. Yoo or Mr. Kwon?

I'm not sure if they're still online as I can't see them now. There were ten audio files, each about 90 minutes in length. I downloaded the files last month and am only now giving them a listen. I'm not sure I'll have time in the near future to listen to all of the material, but eventually I hope to. Here's a brief summary of the parts I found of interest so far (I chose lesson 6 at random):

Armageddon is coming. A third of the world's population will die.
Everyone will be implanted with computer chips either on the forehead or on one hand.
The person who gave the sermon has experience driving out demons in Daegu. The best way to do that is to keep the possessed person sleep deprived - about a week should do it. One demon was driven out by several days of constant singing (I gather not rock songs ... see below).
Rock music is evil.

June 14, 2014, 01:48:15 AM
Reply #13

Offline Peter

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog & Site
Look at me right now.. I am attempting to clear up messes from 23 years ago... how am I supposed to deal with the even 100x more lies coming out now? I can only shout out his innocence, which people barely listen to, and whether to believe it or not is up to you.

I'll admit, that's quite a task^. I certainly can't guarantee to believe you, but I'm certainly up for reading your defences and the links you've shared. Regardless of what's believed or not believed, I think it all helps contribute to a greater understanding of this complex situation and the motivations and opinions of those directly or indirectly involved.

June 14, 2014, 11:06:17 AM
Reply #14

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
Mr. Yoo's conviction in 1992 and the Odaeyang incident
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
Dear Oscar,

thank you very much for your reply.

You wrote:
To further detail the truth, there were business transactions between Odaeyang and Semo, I read it was for legitimate business for importing goods, ...

So, if I understand that correctly, you say that there was a transaction between the Odaeyang cult (through Odaeyang's trading group) and the Semo group, which belonged primarily to Mr. Yoo.

But you are saying that it is not accurate that the amount of money transferred was 17 million USD.
It would be really helpful if we could shed some light on this.

What, then, was the real amount that was paid by Odeayang to Semo in the transaction you mention?

I think this question is quite important and it could be very helpful in your efforts to clear up these accusations.

The sum paid and details of the transaction are important, because at present many people are inclined to believe that Mr. Yoo was the de-facto leader behind the scenes of Odaeyang, that basically all revenue generated by the bedazzled Odaeyang members was transferred to Mr. Yoo, and that he played a major role in the death of the Odaeyang workers and leaders.

Because many people believe that, I understand that will you have to put in some effort to find the details and reliable sources.

As I said, I appreciate your sincerity in this matter and I am still looking forward to the results of your research.
It will be hard work for you, but I am sure it will be worth the effort.

All the best,

Edgar.